Anyone lose out holding a piece of gear for someone to buy?

frontline205

So I listed a Gibson Explorer on reverb. The classic black and white pickguard with 500T bridge pickup. A local guys hits me up and says he'll have the money Saturday, and I say yea I can hold it. I leave it up on Reverb just in case it sales outright for a no haggle price, but instead I get three offers for a couple hundred more than the local sale. I turn them down because I promise dude I'd hold it. Well surprise, surprise a few hours before we meet up "bills" came up, and now the deal can't be made. Also since I turned the other guys down they all found something else.

Now I'm fully aware that a deal isn't set in stone until money is exchanged, and I'm not even mad at the potential buyer. I'm cool with people bowing out of a deal, but still upset with myself for not taking the other offers instead. Anyone here ever felt slighted, or get burnt by a deal falling through.

I got my 85 having a guy hold it on reverb. He was super chill and the deal was good off the shit platform.

I followed through with my word though. If you request it offline with a platform like reverb and risk getting banned you better back it up when it’s time to pay.

I had a guy ask me to take down my listings and hold it for a week on a 4K guitar. We spoke by phone. He then sent me pictures of his bank account balance and insured me he would make the deal in a week. I asked him why he needed a week since he had plenty of available of funds. He blamed his Wife and said he was a definite but needed the week; so I agreed since his story sounded credible. We kept in touch and the day he was supposed to pay he flaked out and would not respond. I will only do this for someone I know from then on. I still want to smash that fuckers head because I could have sold it.

I had a guy ask me to take down my listings and hold it for a week on a 4K guitar. We spoke by phone. He then sent me pictures of his bank account balance and insured me he would make the deal in a week. I asked him why he needed a week since he had plenty of available of funds. He blamed his Wife and said he was a definite but needed the week; so I agreed since his story sounded credible. We kept in touch and the day he was supposed to pay he flaked out and would not respond. I will only do this for someone I know from then on. I still want to smash that fuckers head because I could have sold it.
Hearing stories like this is why I don't expect anything. If I need the cash no holds, but since I normally don't I mostly will do it, but with the expectation is probably wont happen.

Ya this sucks . Once I guy promised to buy one of my guitars so I hold it. And then instead of saying I can’t now because of bills he’s like man I just bought a couple festival tickets I can’t afford it now . After holding it 2 weeks

I hold gear that day if someone says they are coming from far. I had my first tube amp, Evh 5150 III 2x12 for sale, and buddy says he is coming from san antonio. Two other guys called after he said he left. Offered more money. I told them if he flaked they could have it. I would never have someone start driving then fuck them, so i held true, and buddy came. But other than if they are on the way, First come first serve.

So I listed a Gibson Explorer on reverb. The classic black and white pickguard with 500T bridge pickup. A local guys hits me up and says he'll have the money Saturday, and I say yea I can hold it. I leave it up on Reverb just in case it sales outright for a no haggle price, but instead I get three offers for a couple hundred more than the local sale. I turn them down because I promise dude I'd hold it. Well surprise, surprise a few hours before we meet up "bills" came up, and now the deal can't be made. Also since I turned the other guys down they all found something else.

Now I'm fully aware that a deal isn't set in stone until money is exchanged, and I'm not even mad at the potential buyer. I'm cool with people bowing out of a deal, but still upset with myself for not taking the other offers instead. Anyone here ever felt slighted, or get burnt by a deal falling through.

A non-refundable deposit negotiated into the hold usually chases away the chances of 'something came up.' I won't hold a guitar without one.

If yours is the 2016 on Reverb, that's a great price.

Last edited:
People are paying outlandish prices for Explorers these days , super super hot item .

Never happens to me because I don’t hold shit for anyone. First with cash gets it.

I will take a deposit I guess… so if they want time to come up with all the $ give me a couple hundred to hold it till then,… I’m good with that.
Not true . You’re holding that VHT stack for me lol

It can go either way. Held a amp for a guy who flaked out.
Wasn’t looking for a trade.
Got a killer Lester on trade. Guy made me such a good deal I couldn’t pass it up.

This is just one of the reasons I have a pile of gear laying around instead of extra bux in savings.
Flakey people,shipping woes and typical bullshit after the sale just made me say "fuck it".
Nothing seems worth it anymore. I'd rather keep the stuff than go to the trouble to sell it.
Note to all of you....this is how old men wind up with a bunch of valuable stuff their families have to get rid of once they are dead.
I thought it out and made a portion of my will just for the gear.

Back