How come Rectoverbs haven't suffered the recent Boogie hype price hike?

JimAnsell

just saw a local combo on FB market for 650, and considered it because of the price. I've had a few of these over the years, and always felt they were pretty solid, and can compete with the duals and triples as far as a getting that "recto" tone, even without a massive power section. it smokes the mini recto, thats for sure.

Anyway, in looking at the used ones, they're all still sitting at like 800-1000 which has pretty much been the range for the last decade at least. Are these prone to issues i am not aware of or something? i'm surprised these aren't twice the price now because its a mesa.

I just think people looking for “the” recto tone aren’t using reverb or tremolo and probably scares them off. It’s like having a four door sports car, they’ll think I have kids or some bullshit if I have that.

I've seen that too, only the "A" list Mesas went crazy. The B & C list models haven't moved much if at all. My guess is because if guys have the cash to spend, they want the best. Guys without cash aren't driving the market & are still stuck with the leftovers.

IMO the single recs & rectoverb 50 just don't sound as good.

I just think people looking for “the” recto tone aren’t using reverb or tremolo and probably scares them off. It’s like having a four door sports car, they’ll think I have kids or some bullshit if I have that.
This

In addition to not being a Dual "C" or "G" I think what you said factors in as well. I got my Rectoverb 50 for $490 but the reverb didn't work, which I didn't care about because I don't use for things that would require reverb.

What about DC’s?? I’ve always read they were somewhere between a recto and marks which on paper sounds pretty damn perfect yet you never see people playing them

The DC amps were never popular when they were in production so they didn't last very long. They also don't have the amount of gain on tap that a Rectifier or Mark series amp can achieve.

When I was a teenager in the early 2000s the single rectifier was the amp you actually saw people playing in bars and clubs. Aside from big touring bands very few folks I would see had the flagship amps.

I see a lot of people listing them higher, but they stay up for sale for months on end. We are in this funny time where people are still asking ridiculously inflated prices, but buyers aren't biting like they were when they had "free money" to burn.

rectoverbs worked for me but I'm an at home wanker. I see dc's and nomads are pretty affordable but I really have no experience with them. someone please elaborate. bastard of a recto and mark sounds killer to me....lol....

Nomads are funky. IMO not an at home friendly amp because they generally need to be turned up to get out of fuzzy gain/feel territory.

Just to note: I don't think the tremolo applies. Trem-O-Verb pricing is also 2-3x where it was five years ago. Hell, I bought a Trem-O-Verb head on eBay in 2014 for $700 shipped.

I've own two Rectoverbs. I think the main issue with is is that 50 watts just doesn't seem to be enough to push that kind of bottom end at practice room with a drummer or gig levels. It kinda falls apart when you put some real volume on it. At least that was my experience.

What about DC’s?? I’ve always read they were somewhere between a recto and marks which on paper sounds pretty damn perfect yet you never see people playing them
IMO there's a reason they're inexpensive, just like with 50W Rectos. The tone & feel just isn't as good as the real deals.

rectoverbs worked for me but I'm an at home wanker. I see dc's and nomads are pretty affordable but I really have no experience with them. someone please elaborate. bastard of a recto and mark sounds killer to me....lol....
The DC series is good, some are great like the DC10. Plenty of snot on hand and a great clean channel. Very big smiles with the DC series, really great amps, just not quite Marks or Rectos but great amps compared to your average amp. 50 caliber is good also. F series good.

All Nomads suck, and I mean suck moose meat, it's the same with the Express series, just horrible. I didn't like the Atlantic but I've only tried the lunchbox size one.

The Royal Atlantic is a cool head. Every sound is great and there is a simplicity to it that you don't usually get from Mesa.

Back