So I have 4 Boss SD-1’s

What's the relationship between the SD-1 and the TS? Were they supposed to be the Boss answer to the TS?
Kinda.

The TS was the answer to the original Boss OD-1.

Then came the SD-1 which is literally a Tube Screamer circuit with some different values here and there, and an extra diode in one side of the clipping stage.

After using a Maxon od808 for a number of years, I finally decided to grab the SD-1 today.
Hooked it up in front of a Marshall 1959slp and messed with it for about an hour.
My initial thoughts were, The od808 is more hi-fi in a sense when comparing the 2.
Dunno if I played the od808 for so long but I preferred the sd-1 in front of the Marshall.
Sounded more grindy and aggressive.
Great pedal….

Last edited:
Tubescreamer and SD1 circuit are generally the same but there are more part value differences than just asymmetrical vs symmetrical clipping. Tone section I think is also different. Pull up a schematic for each and follow the signal flow, you can see what is the same and what is different.

I have an early 90’s Taiwanese SD1, only one I’ve ever played. These days I usually use my axe FX for most stuff but I still have my pedalboard in front as I like being able to just click on a boost without navigating menus. Also I always thought the SD1 model in the axe FX was inaccurate as it was tighter, and more narrow/focused than my real SD1. Though it feels like the modern Taiwan vs Japanese description in the first post so maybe it’s just modeled after a new-ish SD1. I didn’t know they varied.

The tubescreamer model in the axe FX is dead-nuts the same as my early 90’s TS9, at least.

Got an MIJ one as well, no clue what year, and while nice (especially with humbuckers), I found that with singlecoils the OD-3 works a bit better and sound more natural. Also, it's a way better stand-alone overdrive than the SD-1 is.
OD-3 has less mid-hump, more low-end and a more organic crunch, FWIW.

The SD-1 is one of my favorite pedals of all time too. I have 5 myself, an old MIT, 3 modded MITs (Franklin Pro Mod, Indyguitarist Mod and the Keeley GE 5 Star Mod-which has a BurBrown chip instead of a jrc 4558) and the WazaCraft. I just got the Waza. It's insane pushing my JVM410h.

I haven't played the modded ones in years. Now I'm gonna have to go grab them and see what's up. :D

I always wanted an older MIJ one. Just have never stumbled on the right deal.

I have a 2000's MIT that I love. Been through several old TS and Rats.

Count me in on SD-1. I'd love to find a good DS-1

Kinda.

The TS was the answer to the original Boss OD-1.

Then came the SD-1 which is literally a Tube Screamer circuit with some different values here and there, and an extra diode in one side of the clipping stage.
It's amazing how different they sound being so close. Marshall 2203/2204 are assymetrical due to the cold clipper so it makes sense the SD1 would be a good match.

I've never had an SD-1 and have been toying with the idea of the WAZA version but it almost sounds like it's not worth the extra $ vs the standard one.
Thoughts?

I have a Boss bluesdriver with the Keeley mod, sounds good. Does that get me in the same general neighborhood as the SD-1 (never tried one)? Thanks.

I have had an AnalogMan modded SD1 for many years. Push/pull knob changes it back and forth from TS9 to SD1. Haven’t needed another. I also have a DS1 I bought back in 1982 when I was 14. It’s beat shit but still kills.

I saw someone mentioned HM2. Cool pedal have one of those too. Super snarly with dramatic EQ. I know some Euros were using that into a clean amp with knobs maxed for extreme metal.

I have a 80's mij and a newer mit. I absolutely love them! I honestly don't notice much difference between them boosting my 2203's.

I also love the SD-1

Had a stock modern SD-1 and my Keeley modded SD-1 at the same time. Both are great but that Keeley is just magical. That's one of my "never sell" pedals for sure

JHS should update the Bonsai and ditch 2 of the crappier TS circuits and just add a really good MIJ SD-1 and DS-1. It has the Keeley and JHS mods in it already. that would be the one to slay them all.

I have an '86 MIJ, but i don't like what the buffer do to other pedals..
And in contrast to my setup, I feel the SD1 (1986) is essential on my board in ‘off’ mode when I boost my 72 Marshall using 2 other pedals. If I remove the SD1, the tone becomes almost ‘too much’ and gets smeared a bit vs having the SD1 in, and tightens it and adds clarity. Strange but true.

And in contrast to my setup, I feel the SD1 (1986) is essential on my board in ‘off’ mode when I boost my 72 Marshall using 2 other pedals. If I remove the SD1, the tone becomes almost ‘too much’ and gets smeared a bit vs having the SD1 in, and tightens it and adds clarity. Strange but true.

I used to have the digitech bad monkey on my board in pass through mode just because i liked what the buffer did to the tone. Strange as it is, that's a thing!

I agree. I have a new version BB Preamp that I occasionally use for a different flavor boost. But without a bypassed SD-1 in front of it, it is too smeared/compressed for me.

Both of these pedals have the 1S2473 diodes, But they differ in the 4558C (‘81) / 4558DD (‘84).

I don’t know guys, I can do a blind test and have my buddy exchange these two with my 2 newer MIT ones and I immediately can hear the difference, and the older ones sound better, I can hear it…
Now, Maybe I’ve just have 2 ‘lemon’ MIT’s, who knows.

1981 with 4558C

Extremely lightning FAST attack, very lively, bright and open, (Bright in a ‘good way’)
No Congestion, just lots of beautiful headroom.
No fog, no hesitation, the notes explode immediately. Sounds and feels massive!
Very tight bass.
More aggressive / tighter than the 1984 pedal.

0B4CA63E-937B-4C0F-ACD6-8572B391F776.jpeg

1984 with 4558DD

Very fat tone with slightly more gain, fantastic for lead playing.
Slightly slower attack. Maybe a touch more brown/fat than the 1981, but at the cost of less tightness.
A little ‘smoother’ / silkier / warmer / prettier than the 1981 pedal.

590EF508-0418-450B-9C4C-016F5FA7E58C.jpeg

Interesting, I have used a VHT V-1 in front of my pedals since they came out...similar deal probably.

Both of these pedals have the 1S2473 diodes, But they differ in the 4558C (‘81) / 4558DD (‘84).

I don’t know guys, I can do a blind test and have my buddy exchange these two with my 2 newer MIT ones and I immediately can hear the difference, and the older ones sound better, I can hear it…
Now, Maybe I’ve just have 2 ‘lemon’ MIT’s, who knows.

1981 with 4558C

Extremely lightning FAST attack, very lively, bright and open, (Bright in a ‘good way’)
No Congestion, just lots of beautiful headroom.
No fog, no hesitation, the notes explode immediately. Sounds and feels massive!
Very tight bass.
More aggressive / tighter than the 1984 pedal.

View attachment 124084

1984 with 4558DD

Very fat tone with slightly more gain, fantastic for lead playing.
Slightly slower attack. Maybe a touch more brown/fat than the 1981, but at the cost of less tightness.
A little ‘smoother’ / silkier / warmer / prettier than the 1981 pedal.

View attachment 124093

Then on top of that, there is the individual tolerance of the parts on the board. But no doubt the chip makes a diff. My 90's MIT sounds great but definitely as the gain goes up, it gets a little hairier and gritty. It just seems like whatever the year it was issued. the SD-1 is almost always usable for a gain boost. I should take a look at the circuit board and see what it is running chip wise.

Back