Elmwood Modena 60 head

garyturbo1

i want to change the output valves in my modena 60 head from EL34s to 6l6s but dont know what the bias setting for 6l6s is in this head as Elmwood are no longer able to be contacted for info on this so can anybody out there shine a light on this for me thanks and hello from Ireland.

i dont have any of the info on the amp regarding bias settings even for el34s which it comes with as standard because Elmwood are no longer answering emails as i have tried thanks for the reply.G

This seems like an issue of not really knowing how to bias an amplifier rather than Elmwood not answering emails. They wouldn't provide a bias setting so to speak. You need to measure the plate voltage, calculate the plate dissipation and then bias to that amperage value. In most cases people overthink amplifier biasing. As long as the tubes aren't redplating and you like the sound of the amp there is a lot of room for the setting to be "right." There isn't necessarily an exact right bias current setting and all other settings are wrong.

Find a tech as it seems you probably are not qualified to be inside a powered up tube amp.. Better safe than dead!

This seems like an issue of not really knowing how to bias an amplifier rather than Elmwood not answering emails. They wouldn't provide a bias setting so to speak. You need to measure the plate voltage, calculate the plate dissipation and then bias to that amperage value. In most cases people overthink amplifier biasing. As long as the tubes aren't redplating and you like the sound of the amp there is a lot of room for the setting to be "right." There isn't necessarily an exact right bias current setting and all other settings are wrong.
thanks mary kelly im not stupid and have biased many amps but there manual states to contact them for bias settings if your changing valves from el 34s to 6l6s aas no 2 amps are the same and also the modena is not a simple amp to get into to bias thanks for the reply anyway

thanks mary kelly im not stupid and have biased many amps but there manual states to contact them for bias settings if your changing valves from el 34s to 6l6s aas no 2 amps are the same and also the modena is not a simple amp to get into to bias thanks for the reply anyway
and ps. Elmwood are no longer trading maybe thats why there not answering emails 🙄🙄

im not stupid and have biased many amps

Then just replace the tubes and bias the amp. A Modena is no different than any other amplifier in this respect. When I had one it was very simple to bias. Just don't crack the plexi panels if/when you pull the chassis. Many of them have cracked corners from slight misalignment pressure when removing from the cab.

Then just replace the tubes and bias the amp. A Modena is no different than any other amplifier in this respect. When I had one it was very simple to bias. Just don't crack the plexi panels if/when you pull the chassis. Many of them have cracked corners from slight misalignment pressure when removing from the cab.
yes thanks i saw that on the pics i googled very fiddly looking alright they could have made it much easier im sure but thanks for your help and i will stick with EL34s to save any bother as the bias should be reasonably close with them as standard with maybe just a small tweak cheers.G

Find a tech as it seems you probably are not qualified to be inside a powered up tube amp.. Better safe than dead!
i have biased and revalved all of my amps without any problems over my 40 odd years of experience and if you read my question properly i was asking for imformation that i couldnt get from Elmwood as they no longer exist and kindly refrain from thinking everybody is stupid and needs degrees in order to ask a simple question which the manual that comes with the amp states cheers Gary for your lack of helpful ideas 🙄🙄🙄🙄

i have biased and revalved all of my amps without any problems over my 40 odd years of experience and if you read my question properly i was asking for imformation that i couldnt get from Elmwood as they no longer exist and kindly refrain from thinking everybody is stupid and needs degrees in order to ask a simple question which the manual that comes with the amp states cheers Gary for your lack of helpful ideas 🙄🙄🙄🙄
oh and ps. i replaced the valves with new EL34s and biased the amp and its fine now it was a fiddly job but it did teach me 1 thing and thats not to go on here for help as it appears to be just like FB full of very unhelpful wizards thanks for the very crap experience i wont be using this forum ever again cheers goodbye and good riddance

@garyturbo1 ^This is the answer. Elmwood is defunct. They aren't gonna tell you anything.

As @Marykelly said...Basically measure the plate voltage and calculate the bias you need on 6L6s based on that. Weber has a great bias calculator on their website. But first you need to know the plate voltage of your particular amp.

https://www.tedweber.com/bias-calc/

dont-let-the-door-hit-you-on-the-way-out-bye-bye.gif

I mean Rig Talk is absolutely loaded with people who are assholes to other people all the time for no reason but this was not one of those times. Just folks trying to help OP not worry and proceed as usual with any other amp. And also not get hurt if they aren't familiar with the process.

Back