So I have 4 Boss SD-1’s

I've never had an SD-1 and have been toying with the idea of the WAZA version but it almost sounds like it's not worth the extra $ vs the standard one.
Thoughts?
I have both a MIT and the WAZA and I think it's worth it. The custom mode is different than the standard mode. The custom mode is voiced differently and has more gain too.

Interesting, I have used a VHT V-1 in front of my pedals since they came out...similar deal probably.
It’s part of the ‘everything in the chain matters’ lol…I didn’t realize the part the SD1 played until I took it off my board and brought it upstairs to run in front of an old RG50 combo. Next time I plugged into the 72, it just didn’t sound right..not bad but not the same. I rolled tubes, tried all my guitars but couldn’t put my finger on it…then realized it might be the SD1? Put it back on the board and there it was. Lol

Both of these pedals have the 1S2473 diodes, But they differ in the 4558C (‘81) / 4558DD (‘84).

I don’t know guys, I can do a blind test and have my buddy exchange these two with my 2 newer MIT ones and I immediately can hear the difference, and the older ones sound better, I can hear it…
Now, Maybe I’ve just have 2 ‘lemon’ MIT’s, who knows.

1981 with 4558C

Extremely lightning FAST attack, very lively, bright and open, (Bright in a ‘good way’)
No Congestion, just lots of beautiful headroom.
No fog, no hesitation, the notes explode immediately. Sounds and feels massive!
Very tight bass.
More aggressive / tighter than the 1984 pedal.

View attachment 124084

1984 with 4558DD

Very fat tone with slightly more gain, fantastic for lead playing.
Slightly slower attack. Maybe a touch more brown/fat than the 1981, but at the cost of less tightness.
A little ‘smoother’ / silkier / warmer / prettier than the 1981 pedal.

View attachment 124093
My 86 sounds sweeter, more clarity than the 90s MIT version. But, the MIT is just a different flavor as the mids are a touch different. Both are nice pedals.

Mine beat out 6 or so other drives. I've since modded it to suit my needs even better.

20210522-195001.jpg

Try the Wylde Overdrive as well. The old ones, not the Berseker ones. They're like an SD-1 with a touch less low mid clutter and a slightly bigger low-end.

Also, everyone says the SD-1 works great in front a Marshall, but I think it does wonders for a Recto as well. I like a TS with a 5150 better because it's that sound, but an SD-1 really compliments the EQ curve of a Recto and tightens it up much better than TS does, IMO.
I like to use a Maxon od808 in front of Mesa's, they seem to have the right EQ curve for them. I've owned several SD-1's over the years and I like the bite they add to the tone, but hate the low end loss...It's too much. If they could remedy that, i'd buy another. I had a franklin modded sd-1 too, but it wasn't all that special compared to a stock IMO.

i just got the anniversary and i really like it in front of my sc20 jcm.

had an old late 80s sd1 a long time ago

Back