Schenker's place in the guitar god hierarchy

Out of all the great players mentioned in this thread, I think Schenker is tied with Rhoads for players who never wasted a note. With those two everything sounded well placed and intentional. I like the more off the cuff guys too. They all have their strengths

EVH and MSG are two totally different players. EVH and VH had way better songs and music. But still, totally different approaches. VH is more ZZ Top boogie via SoCal. MSG is more Eurometal. From a player’s perspective, I can steal more ideas from Schenker and sound more like me than I can steal ideas from EVH.

Last edited:
Out of all the great players mentioned in this thread, I think Schenker is tied with Rhoads for players who never wasted a note. With those two everything sounded well placed and intentional. I like the more off the cuff guys too. They all have their strengths

I would love to hear someone create music with Schenker and do for his songs what Bob Daisley did for Randy.

Man, UFO with Schenker and Rainbow with Blackmore is a serious show. UFO with Schenker was top notch. He's one of my favorite guitar players of my youth. He has a tremendous sense of melody and phrasing, and he wrote arguably the best riff in hard rock history. Blackmore is up there, and with RJD on vocals they had powerhouse albums......those runs he can pull off.
I saw the first US Rainbow shows in '75. One night at the Beacon Theater,NY, and 2 days later at the Calderone. Argent opened one night, UFO the other. They were epic shows. Dio was spectacular

Right, one tune a depiction of the Vietnam War that still influences guys 50 years later, compared to a Keg-Party band w/ Keg-Party tunes. Eruption is a jerkoff exercise. Not even music.
I don't blame you guys. Every era has it's greats. I'm a decade behind you guys
Where would Jimi have been without acid? If you were tripping on acid on stage you'd be doing all sorts of things that no one has heard or seen too, playing as if you were possessed.

Drugs are a hell of a drug

I wish he would have joined Aerosmith still . Him and Tyler would have a made a good album instead of that shit ass Rock in a Hard Place

A few of my older friends insist that Schenker is the best. Because of the crazy lead tone and bend phrasing. An earlier version of what Friedman did on Rust in Peace.

Dimebag was that way too .

Not to sound like a dick but they just never did anything for me. However-I have never given them a real listen if that makes sense?

I’m gonna give them a real listen after reading how highly people regard schenker, the op video though I honestly thought was horrible lol

Schenker is totally one of the most influential guys out there whether anyone want to admit it or not . The problem he has always had is the bat shit crazy aspect , Bankruptcies, getting kicked out of the country , fueds with his brother . He's totally badass but all the sidebars took away from his credibility.

Schenker is totally one of the most influential guys out there whether anyone want to admit it or not . The problem he has always had is the bat shit crazy aspect , Bankruptcies, getting kicked out of the country , fueds with his brother . He's totally badass but all the sidebars took away from his credibility.

Definitely. I was listening to one of those full in Bloom interviews with a producer who said Schenker used to get so out of his mind high on cocaine that he threatened to burn his own house down during recording if they didn't get him more coke. They laughed it off and I guess he went mad that evening and lit his own house on fire. He definitely was not always there. Brilliant and a huge talent but def. a screw loose.

Back