Cab simulator for live rig?

Bash_Man

So gigs are starting again.. and this time I'd like to skip the whole mic'ing my cabinet deal, but keep my cabinet for stage volume.

Looking at the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M+ and the BluGuitar BluBox. Mainly looking for something that can be adjusted live if needed without needing a computer.

Thoughts? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of amp are you running? You'll probably want one that has a load onboard, I really like the Suhr Reactive Load IR.

If you don't need an impulse or if you have something you can use to load the amp down, the TC Impulse is like $125 and works as well as any other impulse loader out there.

What kind of amp are you running? You'll probably want one that has a load onboard, I really like the Suhr Reactive Load IR.

If you don't need an impulse or if you have something you can use to load the amp down, the TC Impulse is like $125 and works as well as any other impulse loader out there.
I use a Splawn Nitro with an AxeFX FX8 in 4CM for effects. I use a Splawn 212 I'll probably continue using for stage volume. Just want to use something else for FOH instead of microphone setup.

Thanks

I use a Splawn Nitro with an AxeFX FX8 in 4CM for effects. I use a Splawn 212 I'll probably continue using for stage volume. Just want to use something else for FOH instead of microphone setup.

Thanks

Oh in that case you can just use the Fractal. Get an amp load, on the cheap any attenuator will work but it'll sound way better with something like a Suhr Reactive Load (you can find the non-ir version cheaper used). Then instead of 4CM bypass the FX loop entirely and cable it like:

Guitar -> Fractal IN -> Fractal FX Send -> Splawn IN -> Splawn Speaker Out -> LoadBox -> Fractal FX Return -> FOH Board

Then just stick a cab block at the end of your patch. You can chain the attenuator/loadbox into your cab for stage.

Oh in that case you can just use the Fractal. Get an amp load, on the cheap any attenuator will work but it'll sound way better with something like a Suhr Reactive Load (you can find the non-ir version cheaper used). Then instead of 4CM bypass the FX loop entirely and cable it like:

Guitar -> Fractal IN -> Fractal FX Send -> Splawn IN -> Splawn Speaker Out -> LoadBox -> Fractal FX Return -> FOH Board

Then just stick a cab block at the end of your patch. You can chain the attenuator/loadbox into your cab for stage.
FX8 doesn't have an amp or cab block I don't believe. It's only effects.

The BluBox isn’t great. For the price I’d look elsewhere. The tone knob could be useful live but the stock IRs leave a bit to be desired compared to other offerings. It’s fairly dummy/proof though, so if you aren’t experienced with IRs or know what you want, I guess it could be a good option. Most other loaders will not have easily accessible tone controls.

Personally I love the Blubox- I've been using one in my live setup for years. I have a couple of small angled plexiglass diffusers in front of my 2x12 so I can crank my amp w/o being too loud in the venue (and the other guys can hear me on stage), and use the "stack 1970" IR, which sounds close to the 4x12 I have at home.

The IRs are fixed, but I find them pretty good for live use. Decent features without being overly complicated- adjustable treble roll-off (the "Mic Position" dial), it takes line/speaker level, has an XLR out + ground lift, etc. Plus you can find them used for a reasonable price.

If you have a line out on your amp, you can run one of these straight into FOH:

IMPULSE-IR-LOADER_P0EBH_Top_XL.png

Very, very easy to use and you can store a bunch on them. I run this with my amp to FOH and it sounds amazing!

If you’re already bringing a cabinet why not just mic it? If you’re going the two note route eliminate the cabinet and use the house monitors
Stage volume matters.

The point is consistency. Your band should sound like your without the PA and the FOH should reinforce it. The beauty of an IR is that it is a perfect capture every time, not just in the mics and cab, but the environment. You can have the perfect mic placement on stage, and still get stage bleed that differs from show to show. It's really the best of both worlds in that close to the stage sounds great because of the stage volume, and the PA gets a great source with a IR that has the perfect blend of mics and no bleed.

I'm thinking of going this route too with my bass. I'm using a mic on my cab still, but with an IR, I can have my Vintage 8x10 mic'ed with a fancy kick mic and a ribbon mic blended just right.

You could use a POD Go in 4cm to send an IR to FOH while trimming down or eliminating a conventional pedalboard. Would offer a hell of a lot more utility than a standalone IR loader, and it's relatively inexpensive to boot.

I believe it's necessary to set requirements first. Generally, 3 options to decide from, then can choose the right device:

1. Simple stomp box like IR loader. TC Impulse, Mooer Radar, you name it. Connected to suitable line out in a signal path. Lightweight and cheap solution, but in some cases may need additional DI box.

2. Something, what can handle signal from speaker out. Can be connected between the amp and the speaker (or in parallel to the speaker). I.e. already mentioned Torpedo Cab M+, Bluguitar Blubox... Taking speaker output with connected cab could lead to sound wise better output, compared to line out. Also those units have DI out, which is nice.

3. Complete loadbox. Some of them has cab thru even with attenuator, or could be run in parallel with a cab. The most expensive, but on occasion tired cab can enjoy vacation.

If you’re already bringing a cabinet why not just mic it? If you’re going the two note route eliminate the cabinet and use the house monitors
Going direct via monitors works great in theory until an awful FOH sound guy fucks you over 😒. I'd always want at least a 1x12 nearby.

Thanks everyone. I'd like to keep the live guitar sound on the stage. My thinking is splitting the signal with a Lehle P-split right at the effects return input and from there, a cable goes to the return and cable goes to the input of the IR/Speaker simulator and then to front of house.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone. I'd like to keep the live guitar sound on the stage. My thinking is splitting the signal with a Lehle P-split right at the effects return input and from there, a cable goes to the return and cable goes to the input of the IR/Speaker simulator and then to front of house.

Thoughts?
You could try it and see how it sounds. I don't care for the Effects Send -> IR thing, especially with an amp like a Splawn where a lot of the tone comes from the power section. But you might like it, only one way to find out.

You could try it and see how it sounds. I don't care for the Effects Send -> IR thing, especially with an amp like a Splawn where a lot of the tone comes from the power section. But you might like it, only one way to find out.
Is there a device I can use plug from the speaker out on the splawn and that box it self would have a split to FOH and to the cabinet?

Is there a device I can use plug from the speaker out on the splawn and that box it self would have a split to FOH and to the cabinet?
Yup, you just want a Reactive Load with a speaker sim. My favorite is the Suhr Reactive Load IR, I use it mostly recording but it sounds killer live. There are a few other popular ones, Two Notes Captor X, Universal Audio OX. Boogie just came out with theirs, I think it's called the Cabclone IR.

The Suhr is $800 brand new and sells for almost that much used here. The Two notes Captor x is $800 brand new but seems to go for around $400-$500 used. May be a better option for the time being.

Back