best bang for the buck USB audio interface?

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
just for fucking around with at home. looking at the line 6 toneports, just because I've always had good results with their stuff. Like I said-bang for the buck. I'm a noob. Will be using it with stlamphub probably.

I have 3 Behringer USB interface. 2 UMC1820 (8 inputs) and one UMC404 (4 inputs). Been using them for many years with no issues.

They have an entry model, the UM2 at 45$ if you want something to just start experimenting with.

In order of my preference and quality

1. Audient ID4
2. Solid State Logic SSL2
3. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

The Audient line is absolutely fantastic. You can mix a record with one of those things. The DAC dynamic range on them is unrivaled at that price point.

Anyone try the UA Volt? From my research, it sounds like it is one of best at a user friendly price point. I also here great things about the Audient. I am laboring this decision myself and leaning towards a Volt 276.

The Tascam US2x2 is very good and very cheap. I also own an Audient id14 but tbh I don't really notice a difference between it and the much cheaper Tascam

Happy Tascam US-16x08 owner here. No complaints, except of no SPDIF or Adat. If in need, I use that on Axe.

the mic pres in the audient line are way above what they should be. If you can get away with two simultaneous inputs, the id14 is a nobrainer. I sing and play guitar, or have two mics set on a cab, this thing is perfect. The di's are very high quality. A lot of professional studios use the audient stuff, and the only difference between the 14 and the 44 are how many instruments you can use at once.

the mic pres in the audient line are way above what they should be. If you can get away with two simultaneous inputs, the id14 is a nobrainer. I sing and play guitar, or have two mics set on a cab, this thing is perfect. The di's are very high quality. A lot of professional studios use the audient stuff, and the only difference between the 14 and the 44 are how many instruments you can use at once.
Another difference that could be a consideration is that the DI on the id14 is 500k while on the id22 and id44 is 1meg, which IMO is a pretty significant difference for an instrument DI. If instrument DI is important, I think it could be worth a bit more to get the id22. I had the id14 for awhile before even consider input impedance, and thought the DI sounded dull when using amp sims, and was getting much better signal when going through modelers with everything bypassed, using the same plugins. It was because of that lower than typical 500k on the id14. There's a bunch of mk2 versions for their interfaces now, idk if anything about that has been changed, so maybe this only applies with the older models.

Another difference that could be a consideration is that the DI on the id14 is 500k while on the id22 and id44 is 1meg, which IMO is a pretty significant difference for an instrument DI. If instrument DI is important, I think it could be worth a bit more to get the id22. I had the id14 for awhile before even consider input impedance, and thought the DI sounded dull when using amp sims, and was getting much better signal when going through modelers with everything bypassed, using the same plugins. It was because of that lower than typical 500k on the id14.
I appreciate you bringing this up. I was actually researching earlier to see what differences i could find. I missed this. I don't often use the DI for it because of liking to record my amp and cab, but that is a very good point to consider for someone that would be using it mostly for plugins.. I know sweetwater has the id44 on sale for like 200 off right now

I have liked the cheaper Presonus stuff. Many of the other small interfaces don't have MIDI In/Out, which is mandatory for me.

Back