I want a Diezel! D-Moll? VH-2?

narojo

Hey guys! This is my first post here, and glad to see there's a dedicated section just for these awesome amps! I've been thinking about buying one for a couple years and I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before I buy one. I'm a prog guitarist, and can play bass and drums, and I'm working on my own music. I'm trying to build my sound, and I'm looking at buying a Diezel to complement the gear I have. Trying to pioneer a sort of psychedelic modern metal vibe, maybe a bit djent, but looking for a unique tone. I play all tube amps for the breakup and the responsiveness and compression.

Something that kinda bums me out is how Diezels get loads of hate online. People compare them to Mesa and other such things. To my ears, these amps sound completely different. The Mesa sound does not fit my tastes as a guitarist (not knocking the amp at all). It's something to do with the hi gain of that amp, but I love the cleans. Just maybe, it's a bit too dark for me and not the right growl. Being a 6505 player, I'm left wanting more out of my clean channel, but also a different tone out of the dirty channel too - something that would go along with it. Something that works with my Mesa cab. I prefer bright amps to dark amps, and with hi gain, I like an aggressive, brutal sound. Mid scoop as needed.

Right now I can afford a used D-Moll or VH2. If I could buy any one of them, I'd probably get the VH4, but also the Herbert seems nice. I think if I had the VH2 and the Peavey, they'd pair nicely, and I feel like the D-Moll could replace the Peavey, but I'd probably still want a VH2. I worry the VH2 won't be as aggressive as I want it to be, but also, if I played them in stereo, that might do the trick? Lots to consider.

Current rig:
Guitars
  1. Glacier Blue Strandberg Prog NX7 (Main guitar; Drop A)
  2. Sunburst 2006 Fender MIA Deluxe Strat (anniversary year; Eb)
  3. Black 1996 Fender MIM Standard Strat (anniversary year; Standard tuning)
  4. Green Burst Green 2018 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro (Drop C)
  5. Eerie Dess Swirl 2004 Jackson Rhoads Pro RR3 (Tesseract's tuning; lower 6 strings)
Amps
  1. Peavey 6505+ (Made in USA)
  2. Revv G20 (Canuck)
  3. Univox 212 combo (unknown model; 1960s)
Cab
  1. Mesa Traditional Slanted 412 with vintage 30s of course (Made in USA)

Last edited:
Never seen much hate for Diezel. That's a first.

The VH2 is amazing, ch1 clean is awesome, like fantastically awesome. Can get to crunch, then maxed out on gain, add a drive pedal and it is a bit less compressed more open Channel 2.

Channel 2 gets all the gain I want at about 11 o'clock.

For reference I play Tool, A Perfect Circle, Chevelle type stuff.

Selling a Mesa Mark V 25. Clean was great but never jived with dirty channels. Too honky regardless of how indialed it in.

Watch the Diezel website demo of VH2. If you like it you love the amp. Mine sounds just like I expected based on video.

Last edited:

The VH2 is amazing, ch1 clean is awesome, like fantastically awesome. Can get to crunch maxed out on gain, add a drive pedal and it is a bit less compressed more open Channel 2.

Selling a Mesa Mark V 25. Clean was great but never jived with dirty channels. Too hinky regardless of how indialed it in.

Watch the Diezel website demo of VH2. If you like it you love the amp. Mine sounds just like I expected based on video.
Thanks. I did quite a bit of research and came across some pretty silly comments. Buuuut, I also watched all the demo videos for all their amps on YT, watched many demos, considered many alternative brands/models. I knew pretty early on, I was dead set on Diezel after playing a VST clone a couple years ago, but didn't give much thought to a model until more recently, when I decided I wanted to purchase one.

I landed on the Hagen, and it actually arrived Thursday! I managed to negotiate the used price down to 3k. Worth every penny. I love it! Diezel really nailed it. The tone quest is definitely over for me.

Do you have any clips of your stuff? I am really into Tool and APC.

Thanks. I did quite a bit of research and came across some pretty silly comments. Buuuut, I also watched all the demo videos for all their amps on YT, watched many demos, considered many alternative brands/models. I knew pretty early on, I was dead set on Diezel after playing a VST clone a couple years ago, but didn't give much thought to a model until more recently, when I decided I wanted to purchase one.

I landed on the Hagen, and it actually arrived Thursday! I managed to negotiate the used price down to 3k. Worth every penny. I love it! Diezel really nailed it. The tone quest is definitely over for me.

Do you have any clips of your stuff? I am really into Tool and APC.
Congrats. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Here a short little riff. Keep in mind its just recorded on a cell phone and I've only been playing 2.5 years, so it may not be that good.

VH2 rythm.mp3
1 MB

The VH2 is amazing, ch1 clean is awesome, like fantastically awesome. Can get to crunch, then maxed out on gain, add a drive pedal and it is a bit less compressed more open Channel 2.

Selling a Mesa Mark V 25. Clean was great but never jived with dirty channels. Too honky regardless of how indialed it in.

Lately I’ve seen some Diezel hate . It’s weird. Not with me though . I have 2 Herberts and a vh4. Love them

Back