Super High Gain Pickups

for years, I was a medium output SD custom/59 hybrid. One of the sweetest stock pickups out there. I have the same ironman 22k that @Racerxrated refers to. I love the sound from it. I am afraid to change it out, because i have a good thing going and i don't want to fuck with it.

When I was looking at Anderson pickups, I first tried an H3 and found it too hot for me. Swapped it for an H2+ and that has stayed to this day. I would think an H3+ would be way too much for me.

For me I have been moving away from super hot pickups. I put T tops back in my 73 Les Paul custom. In my other les Paul, I tool out the Suhr Aldrich pickups I had for years for a thornbucker/+ set. I find I have plenty of gain available on my pedals and my amps, so letting them do the work. All that said I am more of a classic hard rock and metal player, so I am sure I am chasing different tones.

And I will echo on pickups, DC resistance is the easiest to measure, but you have to combine that with magnet strength & type as was mentioned and also you should know the inductance of the pickups. So DC resistance is really only 1 piece of the puzzle, its not worthless, but its also doesn't tell the whole story.
Anderson use ALNICO poles like strat pickups instead of bars under alloy screw/slugs. The magnets are much closer to the strings compared to traditional humbuckers.

I built my own humbucker pickup for my super strat. It’s a ceramic magnet ibanez pickup I’ve had. Les Paul wise I run everything from a BB2 to 496/Duncan custom, stock Tops in my 76, to EMG 85/81 in my 85 LPC.

I’m not particular to one pickup but I prefer to have different flavors on hand that compliment a guitar.

I tend to favor hot ceramic magnet pickups. Some of my current favorites:
  • JWP Iron Man (in a Les Paul Standard)
  • Bare Knuckle War Pig (in a Les Paul Standard)
  • Wolfetone Timber Wolf (in an SG Standard)
  • Guitarmory Atlas (in my Jackson RR1)
I've also got a set of Motor City Solutions sitting around waiting for me to drop into something, which is really my excuse to buy another Les Paul. I've also got a Haussel Tozz B XL in a Les Paul Trad Pro, but I'm not sure if I like it or not. Might pull the Haussel and put the Motor City's in that guitar.

I'm currently running the hottest pickup I have ever used , around 15K but man does it nail that VH Fair Warning tone to perfection.

Not surprisingly it's named the FW for Fair Warning.

Listen to the below for a minute , that is DEAD ON "Hear about it later tone" .

Last edited:
Anderson use ALNICO poles like strat pickups instead of bars under alloy screw/slugs. The magnets are much closer to the strings compared to traditional humbuckers.
I wasn't aware of how Anderson pickups were constructed, so I appreciate you sharing this. Explains to why I find the H2+ to split so well.

I'm currently running the hottest pickup I have ever used , around 15K but man does it nail that VH Fair Warning tone to perfection.

Nice ! Nailed it

Reactions: ccn

Who Makes the FW?

Reactions: ccn
When you split a high output humbucker the single coil is more in it's normal range. Lower output humbuckers split for single coil are too weak.
Closer in resistance, but the magnet still sits under the screws/slugs, which aren’t permanent magnets, whereas start pickups typically use permanent magnets as poles. Ceramic single coils are the exception and have the bar under the poles like a humbucker.

I recently bought a 500K tone pot and a 250K tone pot and I intend on trying both in a single humbucker equipped guitar and I only did that based on what is said below in the video . He is actually using a 250K pot in the guitar instead of the much more popular 500K pot . I found the specific point in the video where he talks about why he chose a 250K pot instead of the 500K pot to get that Fair Warning tone .

Very cool with all the Tom Anderson love. I use the H3, H3+, HF3 or HF3+ in about 10 guitars right now. Love them. I am a hot pickup lover, been through just about all of them from BKP, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan.

I think the hottest pickup I have is the Caparison PH-bc that came in my Horus Custom Line. It’s different that other Caparison pickups that I’ve had (never liked them, always replaced), it’s like having a condenser microphone on the strings, it pickups up EVERYTHING. Brutal (good) sounding. I don’t know the specs, but it’s noticeably louder than all my other high output pickups.

I currently play the Tom Anderson H3 and H1 in a baritone Les Paul. Awesome pickups. Dark, clear, thick, and smooth.

Played the Lace Drop and Gains before the Andersons, and liked them as well. The D&G have a snarl to them which sounds awesome live, but for me they didn't record quite as well, and weren't as smooth as I wanted. Really awesome sounding, though, and fun to play. But for me, the H3 and H1 just have this huge, dark, massive tone that I dig even more.

Also, ignore the resistance values. Having switched back and forth between the H3/H1 and D&G sets to make sure I truly liked the TAs better (I love both sets), I can tell you beyond a doubt that the H3/H1 is MUCH hotter than the Drop and Gains. So much gain off the H3, it's crazy.

I also tried the H3+/H1+, but on my drop-tuned baritone LP with it's .080 gauge low A, the H3+ would blow out on certain low notes or when sliding between notes on the low string. It'd make a huge, standing-wave "whump" kind of sound unless I whisper-picked it on those frets. Other than that, though, the tone was mind-blowing. But due to the whumpage, I went back to the H3/H1.

Anyway, all three of those sets are aces. Tom Andersons bring the smoothness. The H3+ would be great in something closer to standard tuning, IMO. The H3 is ripping good for dark, low-down stuff, especially if you rock tunings lower than a sewer tunnel. And the D&Gs are the way to go if you want more snarl and grit. For me, the H3/H1 is ideal.

Back