Control room/Studio build progress pictures!

Looks cool. I’m wondering if volume will be an issue for the below rooms and windows?

You mentioned building a spare room with 4x12’s…keep in mind those long cable runs will affect sound.

Hey Dave. As far as below me, it hasn’t been much of a problem. Definitely not for the windows, I don’t get the system loud enough to do that really. In fact what I’m looking forward to is being able to mix at extremely low volumes due to how well the room sounds. I find when the room isn’t great you feel the need to continue to turn up the volume to “hear” better, because of all the reflections and standing waves in the room. Of course this just makes it worse. But my house is rather large (3500 sq ft) and I do not have kids, so this isn’t much of a problem anyways right now. I work 24 hour shifts at the fire department and then come home for two days( I also teach emt and paramedic school on my days off a lot though as well) so I’m able to do as I please with my wife at work during the day. It actually seems to be much quieter downstairs with all the absorption upstairs as well, Atleast I think so anyways.

As far as cable runs, this is something I’m definitely aware of, but will have to do more research on. As Tiago/sblue said above, we have a mutual friend that does this exact same setup essentially, so I’ll have to talk to him on what gauge speaker cables he’s using. I believe if I’m using 16 gauge or so, I should be good with the 100-150 runs I will be doing with them, but we will have to see, definitely need to research this more.

Haha probably sooner rather than later! I don’t use “much” outboard stuff, mostly just the ssl buss comp and the sontec eq on the mix buss. Or I’ll use the other GML 500 series clone on the mics when dialing in tones, that seems to be great as well.

As far as the fabric, that’s actually the most “special” part of this build. It’s a barrier matting material called revac BM1060, and it’s only available in the UK. All of Rogers builds have called for this, because as far as him and his team is concerned, there is literally no other alternative for controlling low end under 100hz. And I can tell you already it’s an astonishing difference. I’m talking .5 db changes at 50hz are clearly audible now, pretty amazing stuff. There are other ways to accomplish the same thing this is not the only way, but this is what Rogers rooms call for, and quite frankly his control rooms are the best I’ve ever heard, so I’m not gonna question it!

I started with the wooden 2x6 frames that I screwed into the wall. Of course nothing is perfect, and the walls bow, the wood is never straight etc. so you then apply silicone to the inside of box around the edges, AND the outside. Then, 4 inch thick mineral wool for the absorption. I then took plumbing strap to keep the mineral wool in place to leave a 2 inch air gap between the barrier matting on the outside and the rockwool. A true “limp mass membrane” basically. The,n, silicone again on the outside front of the boxes, the revac is then placed on the front of it held in place by silicone, and then stapled in place. They must be absolutely air tight for them to work properly, and they are for sure. The air trapped in them is never getting out for sure haha.

Are you going to keep your outboard or move it? I have found that putting mixes through my console sounds better than in the DAW but it also has more drawbacks if I were to do this professionally in any capacity. I picked up a pair of Kush electra eq a week ago. I really like them. That said, when I put them on Reainsert and bring them in and out compared to some of my plugin emulations... I can't honestly say the emulations don't sound as good or better depending on the use. I still like my hardware comps as an insert in Reaper or the console though but even some of those now are getting damn close when i flip through them.. So I think for me, I will likely slow down on hardware and buy more guitars instead. I think where hardware EQ are still great though, is as you mentioned, shaping on the way in.

Sweet dude.

FYI - below each pic is the BBCode all really to go if you want to copy paste that in the future it will POP a lot better here on RT :yes:

Like this:

Back