Two amps, one Captor X

V-man

I have the Captor X 8 ohm and 2 100 watt amps.

As a player who rarely ever plays 2 amps simultaneously, I was wondering if there was a safe way to run a splitter/Y attachment to each speaker cable of the 2 amps, set each amp to 8ohm and simply run ONE of the amps at a time, enabling me to simply power on whichever amp desired without having to swap out cables in the back and worry one day if I switched on the amp not connected to a load by mistake.

Bonus question: I imagine this would not be applicable to me, having 2 100w amps, but if one had 2 50w amps, each set at 16 ohm, could the two run simultaneously into the 8ohm Captor X via a splitter as referenced above?

Yes… but no.

1. Those sort of units (which provide safe powering of two heads via the unit itself) assume away the question entirely of whether it can be done as asked relying upon the Captor X to provide the safe, stable load

2. Those units typically cost @ $300. Understandable for a standalone unit in lieu of a loadbox, but a damned expensive solution to a hypothetical $30-$50 Y-cable or twin-input adapter jack for the loadbox (possibly) capable of doing the same.

There is no (easy) way to connect 2 amps simultaneously to 1 load. The simplest solution is to run AB (not ABY) box from amps to the load. But that is not safe. A bit more complicated but safe is to use double AB box, switching outputs and inputs of amps. Those boxes which I posted do this. You can make it yourself, it is quite easy.

There is no (easy) way to connect 2 amps simultaneously to 1 load. The simplest solution is to run AB (not ABY) box from amps to the load. But that is not safe. A bit more complicated but safe is to use double AB box, switching outputs and inputs of amps. Those boxes which I posted do this. You can make it yourself, it is quite easy.
Completely understandable (and sensibly preferred) but I am specifically wondering how the Captor X specifically addresses these questions.

Hello @V-man
It is absolutely prohibited to use a Y cable from your speaker outputs to connect 2 amps to one Captor X. Everything will be damaged.

You must use an A/B amp box - not a regular A/B box for pedals because these kind of units are not sized to handle high electrical levels like the one coming out of an amp.
Also, when you press the switch on a A/B box for pedals, there is no guarantee that the amp is seeing a load between the moment of the switch (highly likely it is not), and also when A is used , B is idle meaning the amp on B channel is not seeing a load. This will lead to severe damage to amp B.

An amp switcher box will make sure that both amps have a load at all times - when selected (the amp will see the load of the Captor X), and the other that is not selected is placed on a safe load.

Yeah, to re-iterate what Dilan said, you don't want to try to forge two amps into one captor without the right box... total melt down if you don't!

Back