Anyone Else Tired of Dealing With Morons When Trying To Sell Gear?

i'll say it....i'm sick of the local pick up only fuckers on stuff i really want, that can easily be shipped with a little bit of fucking effort and a tape gun. don't tell me that they're probably elderly, or disabled or something, i'm too angry to hear it!!! :( :mad:

last amp i bought, i shipped the guy an anvil flight case to ship me that amp back in because he wouldn't ship it any other way. luckily i happend to have one. dude was in cali and i'm in MI, so shipping cost $238 total to ship the case to him and have the amp shipped back in the case.
Hey, anything for a rare boogie tho... still totally worth it cuz when was the last mesa Simul Satellite for sale ANYWHERE?

Last edited:
It's not about the fees. It's about the 180 day return policy and taxes.

Selling things you got in a trade or bought 8 years ago on a forum for all intents and purposes have a $0 tax basis, meaning everything is income.
Is that the Paypal Policy...180 days to return? If so that is nuts.

I'd always rather pay the 3-4% fee for protection, but never understood why some don't want to take it.

At least on reverb selling "item as described" it only gives you 7 days to return and only if damaged or not as described.

i'll say it....i'm sick of the local pick up only fuckers on stuff i really want, that can easily be shipped with a little bit of fucking effort and a tape gun. don't tell me that they're probably elderly, or disabled or something, i'm too angry to hear it!!! :( :mad:

last amp i bought, i shipped the guy an anvil flight case to ship me that amp back in because he wouldn't ship it any other way. luckily i happend to have one. dude was in cali and i'm in MI, so shipping cost $238 total to ship the case to him and have the amp shipped back in the case.
Hey, anything for a rare boogie tho... still totally worth it cuz when was the last mesa Simul Satellite for sale ANYWHERE?

You might be surprised how many people there are out there that don't even know how to address an envelope, let alone mail a substantial package.

Just a weird anecdote. I agree with you though

I have been SUPER lucky. All my purchases/sales on Reverb went silky smooth. While the few amps i've sold on here have gone great. Yeah you get some morons on reverb asking/offering stupid low ball amounts but that's common with anything nowadays.

I'll lowball the shit out of an over priced listing though. I was looking at a pedal recently, most were listed $300-450. But all but 1 had sold for $230-275.

I wasn't scared to offer $230 for a $340 pedal. Some would call 32% off a low ball but, it was in line with recent sales.

Sellers are just as dumb as buyers. Just because everything is listed at over $300 doesn't mean it will sell there.

The guy came down to $250.

He didn’t open the guitar for two weeks???? Damn, I am wildly excited when I have a new guitar inbound and when it arrives I’m like a kid on Christmas. Plus, what is more fun or enjoyable than playing a guitar you live?

Did you let him return the guitar after two weeks? I would have said no.
Only amp sale I had on Reverb was a guy in California I sold a JVM to. He waited two weeks also before opening, then said "It looks mint, but doesn't sound mint" "The whole circuit board needs to be replaced to work properly" "There's alot of hiss on the OD2 channel, (no shit, its a JVM), and volume jumps between modes, (No shit, it's a JVM, with 2 masters, channel volumes, and multiple gain stages). "Alot of hiss on the high gain channels", (No shit, it's a JVM. I told him it was their nature, and highly recommended an ISP Decimator, and that I used one religiously with the 4 JVM's I've owned).

Reverb paid him $250 to buzz off, and apologized for the inconvenience, and nonsense, didn't take it from my payout. The asshole got that like new JVM205H for $500. Fucking scumbag.

I'll lowball the shit out of an over priced listing though. I was looking at a pedal recently, most were listed $300-450. But all but 1 had sold for $230-275.

I wasn't scared to offer $230 for a $340 pedal. Some would call 32% off a low ball but, it was in line with recent sales.

Sellers are just as dumb as buyers. Just because everything is listed at over $300 doesn't mean it will sell there.

The guy came down to $250.
People follow the other dumbasses listing shit too high, and it keeps the whole market out of whack. People still don't 100% understand "what things are going for" means..

Inflation? NO. Stupidity? YES.

Only amp sale I had on Reverb was a guy in California I sold a JVM to. He waited two weeks also before opening, then said "It looks mint, but doesn't sound mint" "The whole circuit board needs to be replaced to work properly" "There's alot of hiss on the OD2 channel, (no shit, its a JVM), and volume jumps between modes, (No shit, it's a JVM, with 2 masters, channel volumes, and multiple gain stages). "Alot of hiss on the high gain channels", (No shit, it's a JVM. I told him it was their nature, and highly recommended an ISP Decimator, and that I used one religiously with the 4 JVM's I've owned).

Reverb paid him $250 to buzz off, and apologized for the inconvenience, and nonsense, didn't take it from my payout. The asshole got that like new JVM205H for $500. Fucking scumbag.

Total asshole. Guys know that works now, the tried and true partial refund scam. We should have a thread to name these losers so you can check it every time someone on reverb contacts you, or even here. There have been some heavy duty undesirables here over the years.

Oh yeah, love those dudes, the local pickup only guys, unless it’s a cab, I could see that. I’ve seen a few things over the years that I would have lived to have acquired but it was local pickup only. No joke, one time, it was. PICKUP!!!!

And maybe fees have nothing to do with it..I know a lot of people that don't want to have to deal with the IRS and their 1099's..

Then I guess they will miss out on many sales because most people wouldn’t dream of sending PayPal friends and family.

I used to flip a lot of gear and quit for the reasons mentioned. That being said, my wife sells high end collectables (think rich old lady shit), she has none of these issues. I am at the conclusion that its the client base. Alot of "musicians" are fucked up, scumbag, pieces of shit.

It’s always bummed me out that musicians are willing to dick over other musicians. It’s amazing.

Yeah, the 1099 shit sucks. But there’s no way in hell I’m giving some stranger thousands of dollars and trusting that they’ll ship said item with any care. People pack like shit. Even if they’re perfect humans, what if they get taken out in car accident on the way to drop off the package by some kid on a cell phone. I’m not in the right tax bracket to gamble even a little bit. Then there’s all the shipping carrier horror stories.
Just the replies in this thread alone shows what assholes people can be, always blaming the other guy.

Then I guess they will miss out on many sales because most people wouldn’t dream of sending PayPal friends and family.
Yep..their will probably be less sales now. Also can't overlook the IRS hiring some 87000 new agents..I've heard that many of them are going to be some type of "police force".

Some Jack-offs think they can buy something, check it out and mail it back as if I'm a fucking store.
Some jack-offs sell you a road case they tell you will fit your Marshall head but it is obviously way too small.
Then they ignore your PMs when you point out the issue.

The other side of the coin is that can be kind of fun, especially when you get a "know-it-all" who is completely wrong. Had a guy email me about my Craigslist ad for an '85 2204 telling me that my amp was a reissue. We had some good back and forth on that and I was laughing to myself the whole time. My last email to him was "send me a picture of ANY 2204 reissue and you can have this amp for free." Never heard back

Back