Floyd Rose Rail Tail Feedback

Hooligan

Hey folks, looking at building a guitar and I have been checking out the Floyd Rose Rail Tail. Want to be able to dive bomb but was looking at an easier maintenance guitar that can stay in tune. Traditional Floyds can be a real drag from setting up strings to making sure it is balanced right and not giving me fits. Heard stuff all over the board on these Rail Tail tremolos. Wanted to throw it out here and get some thoughts from the crowd. Please share any experiences you have had, good, bad or indifferent.
1.Does it stay in tune?
2. How finicky are these set up?
3. Is it more work than it’s worth in the end?
4.Is it the answer my tremolos doldrums?

Please share…. Cheers!

I am in the process of building a guitar and after much research I was recommended the Gotoh locking trem .

Bridge - Gotoh, Floyd Rose® licensed​

$100.37
Color * - Select -Black, $110.33Chrome, $100.37
Quantity *
In Stock
Free Shipping within continental U.S.
The Gotoh GE1996T is a high end locking tremolo licensed by Floyd Rose. This version of the locking tremolo is a premium option that is great for new installs or upgrading original units. The hardened steel saddles and patented stud lock technology ensure a rock solid performance. Springs, spring claw, and all mounting hardware are included along with two hex wrenches for dialing in adjustments. 40mm block

Reactions: Geo
I am in the process of building a guitar and after much research I was recommended the Gotoh locking trem .

Bridge - Gotoh, Floyd Rose® licensed​

$100.37
Color * - Select -Black, $110.33Chrome, $100.37
Quantity *
In Stock
Free Shipping within continental U.S.
The Gotoh GE1996T is a high end locking tremolo licensed by Floyd Rose. This version of the locking tremolo is a premium option that is great for new installs or upgrading original units. The hardened steel saddles and patented stud lock technology ensure a rock solid performance. Springs, spring claw, and all mounting hardware are included along with two hex wrenches for dialing in adjustments. 40mm block
I have bought quite a few of these, best floyd out there. Even better than the original german floyds IMO.

Reactions: ccn
I have bought quite a few of these, best floyd out there. Even better than the original german floyds IMO.
Well those are the exact type of comments I have heard about it when I asked about why was it so cheap . The only thing I have heard is stay far away from the Floyd Rose "Special" and this Gotoh model gets rave reviews and it's not expensive at all which shocked me.

Thanks for the comments

Reactions: Geo
Well those are the exact type of comments I have heard about it when I asked about why was it so cheap . The only thing I have heard is stay far away from the Floyd Rose "Special" and this Gotoh model gets rave reviews and it's not expensive at all which shocked me.

Thanks for the comments
Don't forget that it doesn't come with the locking nut, that is a separate expense.

I have the Rail Tail on a 90s Mexican Strat (also upgraded to Kirk EMGs and locking tuners)

24zBoHp.png

The Rail Tail has a lot of cool things about it. It's generally great for tuning stability, but if I get real aggressive crazy it goes out...likely needs a pro to cut the nut and a proper set up as I sort of suck at those things. Another knock is that it doesn;t go all the way slack into that sloppy string gurgling- it would if the bar had an increased bend on the angle? Not sure if that is also a setup issue but I am thinking it is just short of full dive bomb

On the plus side, the feel of the Rail Tail is amazing, it is so silky smooth, the best of any bridge I have.

Lots of very in depth reviews around the web on the Floyd Rose rail tail . That is if you don't get the feedback you're looking for on this forum.

I have the Rail Tail on a 90s Mexican Strat (also upgraded to Kirk EMGs and locking tuners)

24zBoHp.png

The Rail Tail has a lot of cool things about it. It's generally great for tuning stability, but if I get real aggressive crazy it goes out...likely needs a pro to cut the nut and a proper set up as I sort of suck at those things. Another knock is that it doesn;t go all the way slack into that sloppy string gurgling- it would if the bar had an increased bend on the angle? Not sure if that is also a setup issue but I am thinking it is just short of full dive bomb

On the plus side, the feel of the Rail Tail is amazing, it is so silky smooth, the best of any bridge I have.
Super appreciative of the feedback…. Maybe I just stick with the FU tone, classic FR or Gotoh model…. Wanted something that could provide me the stability but easier to maintain while staying in tune… if it can’t be relied to stay in tune then it’s not for me. Cheers!

Super appreciative of the feedback…. Maybe I just stick with the FU tone, classic FR or Gotoh model…. Wanted something that could provide me the stability but easier to maintain while staying in tune… if it can’t be relied to stay in tune then it’s not for me. Cheers!
I think, unless you get a locking nut, everything is going to require a really well-cut nut. I don't think that should dissuade you though. Just bring it to a good tech!

24zBoHp.png

that is sexy as fuck...

I think, unless you get a locking nut, everything is going to require a really well-cut nut. I don't think that should dissuade you though. Just bring it to a good tech!
Agreed, this guitar was never looked at and it needs the pro set up. Now I am inspired lol
I have a guy who used to work on Vai and EVH's guitars on the sunset strip so let's see what this feels like after his fairy dust is applied

Back