All Seventies Marshall SUPER LEADS sound THE SAME ...Video by Johan Segeborn

I dunno, they all sound different to me. They're all in the same ballpark for sure, but they're absolutely different enough that I can see why somebody might prefer one over others.

I'd imagine that in the room, those differences are probably almost negligible, especially at the volume required to get those amps to break up. But through a mic they all have their own distinct things going.

I dunno, they all sound different to me. They're all in the same ballpark for sure, but they're absolutely different enough that I can see why somebody might prefer one over others.

I'd imagine that in the room, those differences are probably almost negligible, especially at the volume required to get those amps to break up. But through a mic they all have their own distinct things going.

I'd agree with this. I can hear differences in them, but they all have the same core tone. Any inconsistencies sound like they could be compensated for with minor adjustments to the tone controls. At band volumes in a mix I'd be skeptical if someone said they could tell the difference.

I'd agree with this. I can hear differences in them, but they all have the same core tone. Any inconsistencies sound like they could be compensated for with minor adjustments to the tone controls. At band volumes in a mix I'd be skeptical if someone said they could tell the difference.
I think there is also a slight difference in how he's playing each time.. would have been better if he recorded the loop & switched the signals, if he wanted a TRUE comparison.
As others have said - same core sound, but there are slight difference in the high end (to my ears). they all sound great.
BTW - I like his videos, he usually has good stuff for sure

On a somewhat unrelated note, what makes the 2203 JMP different than the 2203 JCM800's? Some say it's the same circuit, others state there are a few key differences. Soundwise, is the main difference that the JMPs are a bit softer, smoother, sweeter while the 800's have a sharper mid focus and punch harder while the gain levels are more or less the same?

When I started going down this rabbit hole, I had The same preconception that the 800 was definitely the more aggressive tight bright amplifier.
For me, comparing the early to mid-80s 800s and mid - late 70’s JMP amplifiers, all 100w, I have to say that the JMP’s have a bit more gain and are definitely more aggressive, but aggressive in a real good way, more punch, and tighter vs 800’s which are smoother and somewhat looser.
They seem to have the same circuit boards when I look inside, but, what do I know?!🥴

On a somewhat unrelated note, what makes the 2203 JMP different than the 2203 JCM800's? Some say it's the same circuit, others state there are a few key differences. Soundwise, is the main difference that the JMPs are a bit softer, smoother, sweeter while the 800's have a sharper mid focus and punch harder while the gain levels are more or less the same?
Yes, I agree with that assessment …same circuit but as you get into the 800 line the pt voltages increased while the Lego caps were used vs the earlier Mustards and whatever followed them….800 2203s tend to be a bit brighter and more aggressive than the JMP versions. But, I’m sure there are examples of each that don’t follow that description

When I started going down this rabbit hole, I had The same preconception that the 800 was definitely the more aggressive tight bright amplifier.
For me, comparing the early to mid-80s 800s and mid - late 70’s JMP amplifiers, all 100w, I have to say that the JMP’s have a bit more gain and are definitely more aggressive, but aggressive in a real good way, more punch, and tighter.
They seem to have the same circuit boards when I look inside, but, what do I know?!🥴
I agree. I’ve probably not tried as many as you or Tom, but IME JMP’s have had consistently to me more growl which I interpret as in a way more aggressive and a warmer, richer sound. I remember 800’s sounding generally brighter, harder, sometimes a little brittle, and didn’t like the comparatively less growl on chords. To me was more in the direction of Wizards in that sense, but I did have an early ‘80’s JCM800 2204 modded by Monomyth that sounded very good. I think it played to the donor amp’s strengths because it was tight, punchy and sizzly, but not the richest sound

The only thing I would say is I don’t find JMP’s to be smoother. Other way around imo. I find JMP’s to generally sound a bit richer and more growl, which to me is a less smooth sound, but maybe the highs are smoother. Sorta like a c+ vs iii in some ways (not an exact analogy)

For me, comparing the early to mid-80s 800s and mid - late 70’s JMP amplifiers, all 100w, I have to say that the JMP’s have a bit more gain and are definitely more aggressive, but aggressive in a real good way, more punch, and tighter vs 800’s which are smoother and somewhat looser.
One thing to consider though, is the Canadian factor ….you guys up there can’t hear very well. 😂

Just kidding. Seriously though, the Canadian Marshalls used early 70s spec transformers into the late 70s/early 80s. So imo those 78/79 JMPs if Canadian are going to have the higher voltage PTs from 70-73 or so. I had a 1985 2204 Canadian that had a 1982 PT of 500v. It was also in JMP skin, not 800. But the date was 1985. I know you have an 85 2203 for sale that’s an 800? So 85 was probably the transition where some Canadian Marshalls got the makeover and some didn’t

I’ll tell you one thing, Tubes complete a huge part in the game here, I had one 800 that sounded so so smooth, almost like something was wrong, could’ve been just my ears, but when I checked it had all RFT preamp tubes, a somewhat dark Gainy tube,
when I replaced them with NOS Mullards / Tungsrams, the amplifier came alive and sounded like a completely different beast, so this also absolutely plays a big part…

One thing to consider though, is the Canadian factor ….you guys up there can’t hear very well. 😂

Just kidding. Seriously though, the Canadian Marshalls used early 70s spec transformers into the late 70s/early 80s. So imo those 78/79 JMPs if Canadian are going to have the higher voltage PTs from 70-73 or so. I had a 1985 2204 Canadian that had a 1982 PT of 500v. It was also in JMP skin, not 800. But the date was 1985. I know you have an 85 2203 for sale that’s an 800? So 85 was probably the transition where some Canadian Marshalls got the makeover and some didn’t
My goodness, you are definitely the encyclopedia of Marshalls here brother, amazing, such a wealth of knowledge, thank you!

I agree. I’ve probably not tried as many as you or Tom, but IME JMP’s have had consistently to me more growl which I interpret as in a way more aggressive and a warmer, richer sound. I remember 800’s sounding generally brighter, harder, sometimes a little brittle, and didn’t like the comparatively less growl on chords. To me was more in the direction of Wizards in that sense, but I did have an early ‘80’s JCM800 2204 modded by Monomyth that sounded very good. I think it played to the donor amp’s strengths because it was tight, punchy and sizzly, but not the richest sound
I’d agree to a point…any late 70s MV Marshall I’ve owned had a softer, warmer attack that I’d attribute to the pt voltages being much lower. I had a 78 2204 that sounded killer; but the plate v was 380v which is way lower than any early 80s 800

The only thing I would say is I don’t find JMP’s to be smoother. Other way around imo. I find JMP’s to generally sound a bit richer and more growl, which to me is a less smooth sound, but maybe the highs are smoother. Sorta like a c+ vs iii in some ways (not an exact analogy)
The C+ to III analogy makes perfect sense. I get it, thanks. I've only played a few mediocre vintage 800s and JMP's. I've played more modded to hell ones than stock lol

I’d agree to a point…any late 70s MV Marshall I’ve owned had a softer, warmer attack that I’d attribute to the pt voltages being much lower. I had a 78 2204 that sounded killer; but the plate v was 380v which is way lower than any early 80s 800
The late ‘70’s JMP’s I’ve had were all softer like you said, but also consistently I felt richer in tone and more growl. I liked the harder, punchier sound of the 800’s, but felt other amps do that thing imo better, while the JMP’s with their growl and warmth is harder imo to find rivals for

My goodness, you are definitely the encyclopedia of Marshalls here brother, amazing, such a wealth of knowledge, thank you!
It was mostly out of confusion since I couldn’t figure out why the amp was a JMP chassis but with a build date of 1985. High voltage pt too. Like super high over 500v. Then I read on the Marshall forum about the Canadian and Scandinavian markets keeping the higher voltage PTs and JMP skin until the mid 80s. I almost bought a Canadian Superlead with the lay down PT, metal toggles and square light but the date said 1979! I thought it was a clone that someone was passing off as real…shoulda bought it though.

Back