VFE Standout users..

RaceU4her

Got this henning version he did a batch of with vfe parts, I’ve had it a while but haven’t played it cause I didn’t think it did much, now I’m playing it again and it still dosent do much?? Is this thing supposed to be just a subtle touch or is something up with mine?

I mentioned this in the latest Fortin TS pedal thread but to me, the VFE standout is the most overrated piece of gear discussed on RT period, when it gets brought up that is. Thankfully it doesn’t as of late. Flip that thing for a nice profit and let some other sucker deal with it.

I mentioned this in the latest Fortin TS pedal thread but to me, the VFE standout is the most overrated piece of gear discussed on RT period, when it gets brought up that is. Thankfully it doesn’t as of late. Flip that thing for a nice profit and let some other sucker deal with it.
That's what I did with the 2 Standouts I had. Sadly took a bath on my VFE Dragon though

I guess theres an internal trim pot I’ve yet to mess with, but unless that does something drastic I don’t see a reason to keep it. I must have heard something to drive me to buy one, I wouldn’t have bought it on hype alone, I think psychodave posted a video of it turning a Marshall into a monster. Or maybe I just drank too much one night and hit buy it now

The standout has a hugh amount of boost.. and the filters are great, clean blend is great. I make it sound the same as my ts9, TCIP, or way different.
I dunno, sounds like yours are broken?
Yes that's true, definitely a versatile pedal that could be shaped to do a lot of different things with ample boost on tap. Maybe the Henning version is different somehow? I sold mine because despite the versatility some of my other stuff just sounded better to me, but I'm very picky about the few pedals I end up keeping. Too many of them have that filtered/sterile quality that I don't enjoy

I had one, and though my favorite thing about the pedal was selling it for $100 more than i paid…. It doesn’t sound like yours is working properly. It definitely has a lot more than a subtle effect.

I came across one several years ago before any hype that I read. By the controls I thought it would be perfect. But I didn’t care for it too much, it wasn’t bad, but my other pedals sounded better to me for what I wanted. I shelved it. Then one day suddenly they were discontinued and a hot item. Cool, finally some luck. Sold it.

They can be subtle or very unsubtle depending how you set it. Quite touchy controls as they have so much range, which means it can be easy to get a bad sound.

My go-to starting point is to leave it at 6db slope, level at like 9:00 or 10:00 (which is around unity depending on the makeup gain trimmer inside the pedal) LPF at around 4khz, HPF at around 500hz, then move the blend around until its as tight or loose as I want. Set like that it’s like a tubescreamer but more transparent (no clipping/compression) but I can vary the tightness.

SteveO probably fucked it up building it.

I don’t know, I’ll mess with it more later when I’m home. Here is a gut shot

rwuMSza.jpg

The standout has a hugh amount of boost.. and the filters are great, clean blend is great. I make it sound the same as my ts9, TCIP, or way different.
I dunno, sounds like yours are broken?
How did you set the Blend knob? My gut feeling is that you were letting too much original signal through.
These.

Something is up. I disagree, this pedal is not overrated. Different strokes but for high gain metal tones this is one of the best boosts I've ever used next to the Deadweild Duality.

Standout is one of the only pedals I actually like. It cuts lows nicely on a bloated sounding amp with the filters. I only run the mix at 9-11 o clock or so.

It’s not as dramatic as running tube screamer, etc…in front, but I prefer that.

I loved the Standout. One of my favorite boost. Although I sold mine when I needed cash. Mine was not subtle either.

Back