Vinyl wrapping guitars

WhiteShadow

I just tried wrapping my Charvel San Dimas in vinyl made for cars. It's kind of a pain, but not that bad. Tough to get the bubbles and folds out of the edges and corners. Some of them you can't avoid. I'm sure there are tricks you learn the more you do it. But this is the result for my first try. Not perfect, but still cool.
1657596893803.png
1657596916924.png

That didn't come out bad at all, would never thought of wrapping one.
Thanks. It could definitely be done better. This was my first try ever. I didn’t unsolder the pickups so they bumped against it and scratched it in places while I was doing it. Definitely recommend removing everything when you do it.

That came out pretty good. You are correct, it's better to remove everything then do the vinyl. Much easier to lay it down without having to avoid obstacles. Vinyl wrapping a guitar with rounded edges is trickier than ones with more square edges and/or binding. A job well done.

So I guess I'm retarded. I bought a heat gun, but I didn't use it. I thought it was for making the stuff stick better, but apparently the use of the heat gun is to heat up the vinyl for stretching it. Could've probably done a much better job if I knew that before hand. No big deal. You've got literally infinite tries at this, that's the beauty of it. It doesn't matter how horrible the finish underneath looks. lol

Cool dude.

Yeah I was going to suggest a heat gun or even a hair dryer. NOTE: I have never done this before. Wrapping. But I would think that if you removed the hardware and stretched it across the guitar then you could fill or wrap the cavities similar to how you would apply tolex to a headshell.

So I guess I'm retarded. I bought a heat gun, but I didn't use it. I thought it was for making the stuff stick better, but apparently the use of the heat gun is to heat up the vinyl for stretching it. Could've probably done a much better job if I knew that before hand. No big deal. You've got literally infinite tries at this, that's the beauty of it. It doesn't matter how horrible the finish underneath looks. lol
Yep. Heat gun is your friend.

My brother has his own business, and has been wrapping cars, boats, motorcycles, Budweiser trailers, you name it. I've helped him before, and it's definitely tedious. I've seen him take a torch to $100,000 cars laying that shit on. He's done pro athletes' cars as well. Makes a nice living at it.

I've done a few pickguards. Cheap, easy upgrade!

Yep. Heat gun is your friend.

My brother has his own business, and has been wrapping cars, boats, motorcycles, Budweiser trailers, you name it. I've helped him before, and it's definitely tedious. I've seen him take a torch to $100,000 cars laying that shit on. He's done pro athletes' cars as well. Makes a nice living at it.

I've done a few pickguards. Cheap, easy upgrade!
Christ, a torch?!! I was actually was thinking of wrapping my Porsche because the black paint is so hard to take care of. You just scared me out of that idea!

Christ, a torch?!! I was actually was thinking of wrapping my Porsche because the black paint is so hard to take care of. You just scared me out of that idea!
Yeah, I’m under the impression that wrapping a car not only gives it a cool new look; but protects the original finish too.

He's a pro, he knows what he's doing 🤣

I can tell you, it ain't cheap. Of course it depends on the quality of the vinyl, (he uses 3M exclusively), it could run $2-$3000. Or more. But his bread and butter is advertisement/logo/company vehicles. He does all the Budweiser trailers here in Tampa, Bud Light, and all the craft beers they own on their trailers. Makes big money doing those.

Yeah, I’m under the impression that wrapping a car not only gives it a cool new look; but protects the original finish too.
Absolutely. Look at Nascar. Those cars are all wraps. Drifters do wraps, weekend warriors, (flat black is hugely popular).

It's big in Florida. Especially big for companies that do their vehicles. It's like a rolling billboard. Boats too. Fishing guides, and tournament boats with all their sponsors.

Not sure what you mean?
I mean does it dampen any road noise or make it ride a tiny bit more quiet?

Or maybe more generally...does it tend to stiffen the surface it is wrapped on?

I would be concerned about tone if I wrapped a guitar but for all I know it might sound better.

I mean does it dampen any road noise or make it ride a tiny bit more quiet?

Or maybe more generally...does it tend to stiffen the surface it is wrapped on?

I would be concerned about tone if I wrapped a guitar but for all I know it might sound better.
I can't imagine it would make any difference on a car.

Made my JSX sound 😎
bv4tei3bmiprlcqpmvmh.jpg

Back