VFE Standout users..

I’m watching some videos now and I’m hearing basically the same thing as mine, a lot of nothing :dunno: Maybe I just can’t hear

I have a GEN1 Standout and I like it in front of my splawn modded Marshall to give it that Dime like modern tightness. I'm not sure if the Henning ones actually capture what the Gen1 models did. For me it seemed to work a little better than the Empress Para EQ in front not that the Empress didn't work well, it was a preference thing.

Seemed alot of guys sold their Gen2 VFE standouts from the latest run rather quickly for some reason.

I have a GEN1 Standout and I like it in front of my splawn modded Marshall to give it that Dime like modern tightness. I'm not sure if the Henning ones actually capture what the Gen1 models did. For me it seemed to work a little better than the Empress Para EQ in front not that the Empress didn't work well, it was a preference thing.

Seemed alot of guys sold their Gen2 VFE standouts from the latest run rather quickly for some reason.
Mine were gen1. I also had an empress ParaEQ at the time (another highly overrated pedal imo). I actually thought the Empress was almost able to do what I liked about the standout except it was off in the midrange vs the standout having juicier mids and like other Empress’s it had that inherently clinical sound with ugly tonal artifacts that just irked me too much very quickly, so I sold it

this is exactly how mine sounds starting at about 6:00, it just adds a little "something" which im not sure is better?

this is exactly how mine sounds starting at about 6:00, it just adds a little "something" which im not sure is better?

I remember mine sounding basically like that at 6:00 (didn’t watch the whole vid) but could add more or push the amp more than that and could also be shaped more eq-wise if needed. I think maybe what you’re hearing is that inherently clinical/plastic-y pedal-like quality it’s adding to the core tone. Must be something in the components today because most non-vintage pedals seem to do that sadly. If you have really great amps (I know you have your share like that c+) then those undesirable pedal qualities tend to be exposed more imo. I think these pedals can often have a wow factor at first because it’s like the amp has been hotrodded, but then you get over it and realize the tone itself got worse in some ways. Older pedals like older Boss’s, TS’s, klons tend to sound more organic and not plasticize the tone. Just my opinion

Fwiw, I sold my standout partly because of the Furman PQ3 I had at the time. More organic tone than the standout

Last edited:

Maybe that's what I had, Gen2. Same with the Timmy. People raved about those, and the latest V2 sounded like 🐕 💩.

I remember mine sounding basically like that at 6:00 (didn’t watch the whole vid) but could add more or push the amp more than that and could also be shaped more eq-wise if needed. I think maybe what you’re hearing is that inherently clinical/plastic-y pedal-like quality it’s adding to the core tone. Must be something in the components today because most non-vintage pedals seem to do that sadly. If you have really great amps (I know you have your share like that c+) then those undesirable pedal qualities tend to be exposed more imo. I think these pedals can often have a wow factor at first because it’s like the amp has been hotrodded, but then you get over it and realize the tone itself got worse in some ways. Older pedals like older Boss’s, TS’s, klons tend to sound more organic and not plasticize the tone. Just my opinion

Fwiw, I sold my standout partly because of the Furman PQ3 I had at the time. More organic tone than the standout

at least i know its not broken, i guess i was just expecting something different. i still gotta try messing with the trim pot

Crank the trim pot up. It's more boost but limited by the voltage headroom. It'll start farting when you go too high, and be aware bass notes require more headroom, so maybe tune it with the all the low end in.

I just uploaded it for you. 👍

I’m pretty confident 90% of that tone is that JMP into your H30 loaded cab played through your Charvel. All your clips with that setup sound pretty much the same, which is glorious btw. Those pedals aren’t doing very much heavy lifting on your tone.

I’m pretty confident 90% of that tone is that JMP into your H30 loaded cab played through your Charvel. All your clips with that setup sound pretty much the same, which is glorious btw. Those pedals aren’t doing very much heavy lifting on your tone.
A lot is the amp, but that last 5-10% can really make a difference.

For example… here is a solid state Randall. The Standout is helping the tone a lot.

Maybe that's what I had, Gen2. Same with the Timmy. People raved about those, and the latest V2 sounded like 🐕 💩.
I didnt like the newer version of the Standout. As for the Timmy, anything after the first hand wired units sounded sounded like crap. The hand wired Timmy/Tim units have more tone and compression.

So how much you want for it? Lol

I had the Henning Standout and sold it in a rut. Was one of my top 5 pedals of all time tbh and I wouldn't be mad about obtaining another one.

I didnt like the newer version of the Standout. As for the Timmy, anything after the first hand wired units sounded sounded like crap. The hand wired Timmy/Tim units have more tone and compression.
I'm glad I'm not crazy! Relatively speaking....

Back