OPINION: Modern Charvels aren't that good

I have five of the MIM 2013 -2015 back when they still had quartersawn necks and no truss rod wheel adjustment. I have played several of the newer ones since and the quatersawn necks just feel better to me. Just my .02

I have five of the MIM 2013 -2015 back when they still had quartersawn necks and no truss rod wheel adjustment. I have played several of the newer ones since and the quatersawn necks just feel better to me. Just my .02
I just bought that weathered looking white one. The neck on it blew me away. Best guitar I've ever put my hands on. Going to buy up as many of these as I can find on the market.

Let it be known on here now. If anyone here has got a 2013-2015 MiM Charvel San Dimas they want to get rid of, LET ME KNOW!

I own three Charvel’s. One promod and two custom shop nitros. They are all great, but my nitros are incredible.

I absolutely HATE most of their new stuff. The knob and switch placement sucks. It’s almost like every guitar company is ordering the exact layout from the same Chinese company. 🤣

Obligatory pic:
1657982405291.jpeg

I own three Charvel’s. One promod and two custom shop nitros. They are all great, but my nitros are incredible.

I absolutely HATE most of their new stuff. The knob and switch placement sucks. It’s almost like every guitar company is ordering the exact layout from the same Chinese company. 🤣

Obligatory pic:
View attachment 127570
Oh yes, I forgot. The fucking blade switches too. LAME!!!!!

That guitar looks epic!

My 08/09 USAs are amazing and equal to any Custom Shop Charvel I’ve played. Some of those USA pro mods are special. All are good to great, imo. The MiJ run is also very good.
I’ve only picked up a few MiM Charvels but they really paled to the USA and MiJ.
I agree that Charvel should have a continuous run of 80s style throwback SuperStrats. Just like 08/09 models, with the proper vol knob placement to go with 22 fret necks and Candy colors; HH or H, HS…..
Keep the modern stuff but add the throwbacks.

My 08/09 USAs are amazing and equal to any Custom Shop Charvel I’ve played. Some of those USA pro mods are special. All are good to great, imo. The MiJ run is also very good.
I’ve only picked up a few MiM Charvels but they really paled to the USA and MiJ.
I agree that Charvel should have a continuous run of 80s style throwback SuperStrats. Just like 08/09 models, with the proper vol knob placement to go with 22 fret necks and Candy colors; HH or H, HS…..
Yep

How are they compared to your '84? Just curious. I haven't played any of the new(er) Charvels. (I have too many guitars and unlike a lot of posters, I have the same guitars I was playing 20 years ago. I'm boring.)

How are they compared to your '84? Just curious. I haven't played any of the new(er) Charvels. (I have too many guitars and unlike a lot of posters, I have the same guitars I was playing 20 years ago. I'm boring.)
I’ve had 4 originals from 83-85. The 84 I have now is like the 85 I had; wide and flat more like a D. Still comfy. The others were narrower and more like my 08/09 USAs like a shallow C; in fact they were slightly thinner and caused me some fatigue. But no fatigue from the 08/09 or the earlier wide/flat versions

this was an 83 I sold to Chuck E. it had the best neck on it of any Guitar I think I've ever owned. I just hated the Kahler.
1 3/4" nut pretty full "D" shape but not huge or anything out of the ordinary for a Charvel from this period.
I think now it's in Germany :( in Hindsight I should've kept it and took the neck off and put it on another body.
2803C_zps800c7e80.jpg

In my opinion....

Charvel in my mind stands for stripped down, hot rod Strats, and of an aesthetic and function relating to a very specific time period.

I think the USA-made Pro-Mods fucking nailed it.

NqlOvTM.jpeg

8th_batch590.jpg

The point is simplicity.

The MIJ line carried through with the same ethos as the USA.

To me the first sign of trouble was when the MIM line launched in 2013.

The big problem? A recessed Floyd Rose.

In my eyes the essence of a Charvel is that top-mounted trem. Again, simplicity. Trading the versaility of a floating trem for the stability of a dive-only trem.

To me, a recessed trem belongs on a Jackson or an Ibanez. If the Charvel is the first evolutionary step up from the stock Fender Stratocaster, the Jackson Soloist and Ibanez JEM are further evolutionary steps. A floating trem is like putting scissor doors on a Dodge Charger.

One that recessed Floyd was on there it was downhill from there.

Tone knobs, push pulls, HSH configurations. It's gotten too far away from the ideal.

The Charvel Dinkies are an interesting development of merging the Jackson and Charvel aesthetics, and I don't really hold them to the same standard as the Strats. But I would like to see them with top-mounted trems.

I'd like to see Charvel re-introduce a classic model, that Wild Card #3 up there. Call it the Super Stock.
I also agree! However, I do own a Henrik and an EVH 5150 in stealth black that are just both great guitars.

Attachments

• 192E9EE6-BBE9-4AF9-947D-220391BCFE5B.jpeg
    192E9EE6-BBE9-4AF9-947D-220391BCFE5B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • F0993B5E-8C03-4641-9136-4795E00DAAAB.jpeg
    F0993B5E-8C03-4641-9136-4795E00DAAAB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
I picked this up little over a month ago and it's incredible! Sounds great and after a setting it up it plays perfect!
Have the same guitar. After dressing 4 frets, it plays and sounds great bone stock. I don't understand the hate

I had a couple of Charvel Custom shops that were not the greatest. Both of them had issues and it just didn't seem like a guitar that was supposed to be a high quality build. Both issues showed up months after I purchased them. I repaired what I could and sold them both as I was not able to get any warranty support from them.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Henrik model that I got was great though and really nicely built.

Well --I t depends what you buy . My Usa select DK24 can hang with anything made out there. The MIM models are good but like anybody else's budget stuff it can be hit or miss

Back