Guitar theory and books

Wondering if anyone else has played a long time without actually knowing anything like chords or scales etc. I can come up with a lot of my own riffs and solos and improv on spot but is it super necessary to actually learn guitar stuff because I don’t know any chords even lol

Just start off learning the modes in G major which is also E minor . Look that up and learn all 7 modes in that key . Then the chord and arpeggios that goes with each one . As a kid that opened all the doors for me and made the music theory journey great and helped me relate everything else to it

Reactions: PDC
Just start off learning the modes in G major which is also E minor . Look that up and learn all 7 modes in that key . Then the chord and arpeggios that goes with each one . As a kid that opened all the doors for me and made the music theory journey great and helped me relate everything else to it
Thanks for that advice

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but to me learning the theory is akin to learning the alphabet, phonics, spelling and grammer enabling understanding of what it takes to communicate on a basic or advanced level. I've only ever taught myself enough theory to do just that (basic level for me). It does help to know why certain things sound the way they do, what it takes to sound a certain way which can be consistently repeated.

But in the end, you still have to have something to say. We are talking musically on our instruments be they our own voice or any other thing. Each persons expression/interpretation will be individually unique.

Some of the greatest musicians I've known through my life knew little to no formal theory. There are exceptions to every paradigm though.

I'm sure not criticzing knowledge and application of theory on any level. But it is a tool, albeit a useful one.

Back