ZAKK WYLDE & CHARLIE BENANTE confirm they will do the Pantera Reunion tour

I really really cannot stand the ZW guitar line. I’d love to see him slap on some of those old beat up LP’s again.

The Zakk hate comes more from a frustration I think at seeing an amazing talent go through such a long period of stagnation and sometimes regression in tone, technique and creativity. I don’t think anybody has anything bad to say about him personally (seems like a righteous dude to me) but a decade or two of the same (tiresome to many) tone and lackluster use of any vocabulary beyond pinch harmonic, blazing, non key specific phrase and big high bend kind of wore people down on their level of appreciation.

Why am I hearing Walk with pinch harmonics? lol Hope he saves that just for Cemetery gates.
But I do think he could do it.

Zakk has the most tasteless vibrato in the business, as far as established players go IMO. Can’t stand it, with or without the pinch harmonics. There’s many other players who do a wide, fast vibrato that sound amazing but don’t sound like Zakk doing it.

Zakk is the man. He is THE motherfucker who defines aggressive rock playing. If you can't find the fun in Zakk, you can't understand cool.

I love old Pantera, and I'm too old to go see this... but good on Zakk. He will rule this.

Zakk is the man. He is THE motherfucker who defines aggressive rock playing. If you can't find the fun in Zakk, you can't understand cool.

I love old Pantera, and I'm too old to go see this... but good on Zakk. He will rule this.

My feeling exactly ! :cool:

The Zakk hate comes more from a frustration I think at seeing an amazing talent go through such a long period of stagnation and sometimes regression in tone, technique and creativity. I don’t think anybody has anything bad to say about him personally (seems like a righteous dude to me) but a decade or two of the same (tiresome to many) tone and lackluster use of any vocabulary beyond pinch harmonic, blazing, non key specific phrase and big high bend kind of wore people down on their level of appreciation.
This is me. I can’t stand his playing anymore. Can’t take it. It’s the same stuff over and over and over. I think his best playing overall was on NRFTW. He’d actually slow down from time to time and play something melodic here and there.

This might be unpopular... but this just reminds me of all these soulless re-hashed movies from the 80s. Cashing in on people's nostalgia to sell a product. Or it's to pay off a divorce :p.

The problem is our hormones and emotional state isn't the same as when we first heard Pantera, so any re-creation of it will feel contrived.

The question is... will Phil go as far as to re-create his old "white pride" rants of the old Pantera live shows haha.

I think Zakk will do just fine. I saw a recent interview when he stated that he was working hard to nail the songs and do Dime proud. I got to see Pantera several times in the 90s. No, it won't be the same, but I have no problem with them paying tribute to Dime and Vinnie. I also see no issue with them calling it Pantera. Two of the guys from the classic lineup are involved. It was their band too.

I honestly feel this way too . It’s like since first Black Label Society he just stayed only a certain way . Heavy songs ,acoustic songs , same leads , and just never went forward . I love zakk but man he could really do experiment with all that talent

Zakk has the most tasteless vibrato in the business, as far as established players go IMO. Can’t stand it, with or without the pinch harmonics. There’s many other players who do a wide, fast vibrato that sound amazing but don’t sound like Zakk doing it.
I'd have to disagree, or at least say that his wide vibrato style fit the Ozzy records. Can you imagine those huge notes in Breaking All the Rules without his signature vibrato? I certainly cant.

the zakk hate IMO stems a lot from that period where he was acting like Gakk'ed Wylde, being mr macho tough guy, dumping beers on himself live, talking shit like a jack ass all the time, being a giant unpredictable parody of himself, before he finally got sober. Once he cleaned up, and with time, all that shit went away. If you still hate him now, its probably being you can't forgive and forget :LOL:

i'll tell ya, it took me a while to forgive him just for "IN THIS RIVER" WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!!😧

I guess this opens the door for a new Van Halen tour featuring C.C. Deville on guitar!! Fuck yeah!!!! 🤑

Pretty much. My love of Zakk mostly extends from No Rest For the Wicked to Mafia. When Shot to Hell came out I didn't hear much that I liked. Order of the Black had Parade of the Dead and Crazy Horse which IMO both fucking kicked major ass, but since then? It doesn't help that he almost totally ignores the old stuff when he plays live. The most fun I've had with Zakk is seeing Zakk Sabbath, which proved to me that Zakk is still the fucking man when he's playing good songs.

I've never had an issue with his pinch harmonics and squeals and all that, I just wanna hear good songs.

Back