VHT GP3 preamp vs. Synergy Fryette modules

Has anybody had the two and can compare? The GP3 is the preamp section of the Ultralead with separate channels, so I wonder how it compares to a Synergy preamp with an Ultralead module?

Never played the synergy, although I'd like to,but I do have the gp3 and it is indeed the preamp of the ultralead and clx and more.The gp3 actually has even more features than the amp heads' preamps.
One of the best preamps that came out of the preamp era.
I believe with the synergy modules while they may capture the core tone,I don't think there's enough room on the little half rack space to put all the features on it that the gp3 has.The gp3 is loaded with small tweaking switches.That may be the difference, idk.

Never played the synergy, although I'd like to,but I do have the gp3 and it is indeed the preamp of the ultralead and clx and more.The gp3 actually has even more features than the amp heads' preamps.
One of the best preamps that came out of the preamp era.
I believe with the synergy modules while they may capture the core tone,I don't think there's enough room on the little half rack space to put all the features on it that the gp3 has.The gp3 is loaded with small tweaking switches.That may be the difference, idk.
Sorry to get off topic here but if the gp3 is the UL...would the 2/90/2 be close to the power amp section of the UL? Curious if you had a 2/90- GP3 setup how close to the UL it would be.

The 2/90/2 is pushing 90w out of only 2x KT88's and run at a higher plate voltage so it'd be quite different from the more common versions of the 4x KT88 UL power section.
Makes sense and sorry to derail. Someone answer OP haha. I've never tried the Synergy stuff but I would guess it's close but not the same.

I have a Syn1 and a GP3 but I don't have the Fryette modules. But I'd say the extra tone shaping controls on the GP3 are definitely worthwhile.

Hey, thanks for all your replies :)
To be honest, I was also wondering about the 2/90/2 as I miss my UL terribly and can‘t find another one where I live. All of the Fryette stuff is extremely rare in Europe…

Ok I guess the GP3 is worth finding.

Any input on the 2/50/2 vs. 2/90/2 at low volumes? I guess the big one will always have a bit more clarity?

For comparison of power sections,not synergy....I have a masterbuilt CLX vht that Steve just went over- el 34 power section..
My gp3 runs into a vht 2100 classic behemoth- El 34 wing c's.
Results- they are dang close..maybe a little less noise from.the clx, but the flexibility of the gp3 is better on it.It doesn't have the channel limitations the ultralead or clx head would have.
Never compared the 2 90 2 to ultralead head,but if I did it would be with a 2150 as the poweramp.

For comparison of power sections,not synergy....I have a masterbuilt CLX vht that Steve just went over- el 34 power section..
My gp3 runs into a vht 2100 classic behemoth- El 34 wing c's.
Results- they are dang close..maybe a little less noise from.the clx, but the flexibility of the gp3 is better on it.It doesn't have the channel limitations the ultralead or clx head would have.
Never compared the 2 90 2 to ultralead head,but if I did it would be with a 2150 as the poweramp.
Isn´t the 2/90/2 the "new" version of the 2150? I thought Steven Fryette said that it only varies slightly but sounds more or less the same?

Isn´t the 2/90/2 the "new" version of the 2150? I thought Steven Fryette said that it only varies slightly but sounds more or less the same?
Idk..but I've had quite a few conversations with Steve and never heard that.I own both.The 2150 & 2100 is a thing of beauty unto itself and in whole different level than the smaller 2 50 2 & 2 90 2..( which are killer in thier own right)
Just open up the big boys and take a peek inside.Lots of big artillery in there.
The 2150 and 2100 are pretty much the top of heap/ king of the hill nowadays.
Anybody that has one won't sell em unless u wanna take out a 2nd mortgage.
And they deliver tone like no other..I have all 4..there is a difference...can't go wrong with any of em tho

I have a 2/50/2 and it works great with my Fryette GPDI, as well as most other preamps I’ve tried with it.

Always wondered if I was missing anything regarding the 2/90/2, but I couldn’t really justify getting one also, as I barely use the 2/50/2 as it is.

There have been a few iterations of the Ultralead that each have slightly different power amps, so I guess how similar synergy UL + 2/90/2 is, depends which version you compare to.

I saved this post a while ago -

Props to NoGodsNoMasters for this info:

The "One Hundred" was the predecessor of the UL. Basically configured from the pre of the Classic head, 3 channels, and one output side of the 2150, thus two power tubes, using an output transformer from a 2150.

Tube config was:
Preamp, 1 Sovtek 12AX7WB, 3 Chinese 12AX7A.

Power amp, 1 Chinese 12AX7A, 1 Chinese 12AU7.

Power tubes: 98 wattss

Svetlana began having troubles and we only had Chinese KT88 to fall back on which didn't hold up well so we went to 4 power tubes and a modified output transformer to run 4 tubes.

This wasn't intended to be a massive gain amp, although a lot by the standards of the time. As things progressed we responded to requests for more gain and power amp saturation. We tried making the driver tube (12AU7) interchangeable to help tweak power amp distortion, but ultimately it created as many problems as it solved so that idea was scrapped in favor of a softer sounding driver stage. The new tube config was:

Power amp, 1 Chinese 12AX7A,

Power Tubes: 4 Chinese KT88.

Output power: 105 watts.

This was met by our beloved clan with either great enthusiasm or extreme anger. If you were in a band and wanted one just like the other guitarists, you either appreciated the difference and it worked well for the overall sound of the band, or you were pissed because yours was not as aggressive.

After a year of this, the UL went back to tow tubes in the drive/phase inverter stage, but with a difference. A new driver design using a 12AT7 in place of the 12AU7 for the driver. The idea being to restore the tightness and aggressive UL trademark but retain some of the fatness of the 12AX7 only style. By then the Sovtek KT88 became available and that became what is still the standard tube for the UL: New Tube config:

Power amp, 1 Chinese 12AX7A, 1 Chinese 12AT7.

Power Tubes: 4 Sovtek KT88.

Output power: 120 watts.

For those who liked the softer more saturated power amp quality of the 5 tube UL and wanted even more, the Classic head was redesigned using the 5 tube preamp config and renamed the CLX at the request of Mr. Hartley Peavey who owns the trademark for the use of Classic on guitar amplifiers. New CLX tube config:

Power amp, 1 Chinese 12AX7A

Power Tubes: 4 Svetlana EL34s.

Output power: 110 watts

Keep in mind that at the time all of this was going on, tube supplies were very erratic and unstable. The Tesla factory got bombed, or so they say, new 6550 designs were all over place in terms of quality and reliability, and we were constantly having to shift gears in order to maintain a performance level that depnded ontop quality tubes.

Obviously the tube scene has settled down and has been stable for quite a while now. As a result, there have been no major changes in the UL or CLX power plants since mid 97.

Last edited by support; 03-17-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Back