Flying V vs explorer style guitars

Dyllheaven88

I’ve had two V”s that I’ve liked but could never bond with them playing sitting down, on the fence about getting a 3rd “3rd times a charm “ or going explorer . Where does everyone sit on the pointy guitar debate ? 🤘

Had a Gibson V and Explorer, sold the V after a few years and still have the Explorer. It isn't going anywhere...

Reactions: ccn
Explorers can be unwieldy in tight spaces but they can sound great. They aren't as comfy as a Strat sitting down but if we'll balanced it's about as comfy as a Les Paul.

I had a Kelly and it had neck dive pretty bad. If that bothers you then that's probably something to watch out for for all these.

Had a Gibson V and Explorer, sold the V after a few years and still have the Explorer. It isn't going anywhere...
same here. i currently have the explorer too. I've owned various models of each. V's aren't bad by any means, but the explorer is just so beefy sounding, and has a bit more tuning stability imo from the 6 in line tuners vs the 3x3 tuners. I don't mind sitting with a v, but the explorer is more comfortable in that aspect. As far as looking cool on stage with them goes, its too close to call :)

For playing a V sitting down and resting on your leg you could try attaching one of those flip out leg rests like they used on the old Steinbrenner guitars or something similar.

1659091810434.png
1659091947169.png

I don't think I've ever played an Explorer while sitting down.

The Explorer has that upper wing: I can anchor my right elbow to it and shred on an Explorer better than any other guitar shape. With my elbow fixed in place, my wrist could be completely relaxed and just focused on the smooth picking mechanics. I was surprised by that. But it did require wearing the guitar at a modest height (not Hetfield low).

But some Explorers have pretty bad neck dive, which would basically negate any shredding ease from the shape.

I had Ibanez Destroyer and it was really not that comfortable to play it while sitting. Not too bad, just not comfortable. Mostly due to upper wing colliding with forearm. Just to mention, I am tall guy with long hands.

You don't buy a V to sit on your ass and play Lisa Loeb covers. You buy a V to fucking rock. You strap it on and point it at stuff while you strum power chords. If you're worried about being on your ass, a V is not for you.

"If you're gonna do it, do it live on stage, or don't do it at all!" -Neil Fallon

You don't buy a V to sit on your ass and play Lisa Loeb covers. You buy a V to fucking rock. You strap it on and point it at stuff while you strum power chords. If you're worried about being on your ass, a V is not for you.

"If you're gonna do it, do it live on stage, or don't do it at all!" -Neil Fallon
Damn y’all really trying to be Randy Rhoads after 3 beers in your jam space at 2:00 am …

Love my Explorer! Wagner Godwoods helped make it sound as good as my LP.
It's a faster playing guitar, more versatile than one would think.
I've only played one V that had me considering buying it. Covid hit, and it disappeared to an online sell before I could make it happen. :( I can't even find which model it was, all black with ebony board, black hardware....
Anyway, Vs are difficult to play sitting, having to straddle a leg between the V. Explorers are probably the most comfortable couch guitar, ever.
I vote Explorer!!!! Better get one while you can. I think Gibson aren't making that many, or any right now???

Explorers aren't really any better sitting down as they sort of sit funny for me, they are a total stand up guitar. V's though you have to sit funny, I find are better to play sitting pinching the body with your legs like Schenker. I definitely enjoy them more standing up but this is a good thing because you don't become a nerd who can only play seated. What I like most about these, is no body in the way of my arm and wrist. Easy access to high frets. Smooth playing. But strats and LP's for extended sit down playing for sure. My explorer and Edwards MS V aren't going anywhere though. It's how I get my Jabs and Schenker fix on!

Back