ZEN Amps YouTube thread - Friedman Dirty Shirley 40W vid up

My beloved 'Pies beat the Bombers with a goal after the siren on Sunday to make it 9 wins in-a-row.

Doesn't get much better than that bro'. :LOL: :cheers2:
What a sad moment it was for me to leave Collingwood and the AFL behind when I moved to the States in '89. The irony that they took the premiership the very next year was strong! Lol...
...and fuck Vegemite, its disgusting. But God, do I miss a good bakery and fish 'n' chip shop!

Last edited:
That Landry is a serious piece of hardware.
Wide range of flavour.
Wonder how the 100 sounds in comparison…
I think it’s my favourite so far.
Yeah pretty awesome amps, very versatile and the build quality seems very solid as well.

Feels like the preamp is doing most of the heavy lifting and even on the 50 the power section doesn't need to be pushed all that hard. I'm sure a 100 would sound amazing but I can't say I've thought about it while playing the 50, it's very punchy.

fuck Vegemite, its disgusting.
You are dead to me - it's the breakfast of champions.

What a sad moment it was for me to leave Collingwood and the AFL behind when I moved to the States in '89. The irony that they took the premiership the very next year was strong!
Well blow me down with a feather. You're a Magpie! :inlove:

Awesome man, just awesome. :cheers2:

EDIT:
And a Star Trek fan no less. Got 'em all and watch them over-and-over in-sequence. :doh: :cheers2:

EDIT 2:
A Virgo too? I'm guessing yeah... :LOL:

EDIT: I'll post in this thread when a new video goes up - hope that's not too spammy for you gentlemen.

It took us a while but here we are: ZEN Amps on YouTube

A big thanks to everyone that took the time to offer their opinions and preferences on the life-or-death topic of YouTube amp stuff.

First four videos + trailer are up:
1. Hiwatt Custom Shop 50 (DR504)
2. Soldano Hot Rod 50+XL
3. Wizard Modern Classic II 100W
4. Marshall JMP50 small box (1971)

The winsome Leon Todd is your host and he's joined by a bunch of great Aussie players covering a range of genres.

Clickbaity, chatty opinion pieces do not interest us, nor do the 'manufactured controversy' type of videos that are so common. Frankly we're gear-nerds with engineering backgrounds - we just want to capture what the amp is capable of with no fanfare, and let the audio do the talking. Leon will say hi and thanks but it's 99% dudes playing through amps, and the listener can make up their own mind without narration.

The plan is a video per week but they're very time-consuming so it may be slower. If you tune-in please say g'day via the comments section, and suggestions for future videos are of course welcomed.

Cheers from down under.

Well done kudos!!

Man, not to start shit, but having 8 4x12s myself micing them up constantly as well as using IR’s, I’d bet my last dollar you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between an IR of my actual cab and micing up my actual cab. You have to compare apples to apples. You can’t compare an IR of one cab mic’d by one person in a different room with different gear with different mics etc, to a REAL cab mic’d using different gear, different room, different cabinet completely ( with the same model speakers of course). That’s nowhere near apples to apples. They gotta be the exact same signal chain, minus the only difference being one is an IR and the other is the actual cabinet. Any differences you are hearing are more likely attributed to all the different factors listed above, not because “ one is digital and one is analog”.
I actually did this the other day. I forgot which was which. I think my ir had a little less noise, probably from better micing creating it. But i was surprised how close it was using the line out on the wizard into just a default setting on wall of sound. I slightly prefer actual micing just because i have it set and it doesn't require messing with it. But if i had to set up everytime, i would just use the IR. Very damned close, and if it was the same speaker IR, probably indistinguishable

Diezel Herbert MkIII

I really appreciate what you guys are doing. When you had us vet the first video, I didn't really care for the amp i think, but I watched the whole thing and not just cuz you asked, but because it was interesting to see people showcase amps in this way. I had no critique. Amazing video on the herbert man.

Thanks
I really appreciate what you guys are doing. When you had us vet the first video, I didn't really care for the amp i think, but I watched the whole thing and not just cuz you asked, but because it was interesting to see people showcase amps in this way. I had no critique. Amazing video on the herbert man.
Thanks again man, the kind words and encouragement are greatly appreciated. I just figured we'd make videos that we'd like to see - dudes playing short clips via different cabs without chatting!

Love the Herbie video...the amp not so much...sounded a bit uninspiring....just like the MKI that I had....
Yeah Diezels seem to be quite divisive - maybe because they're very un-Marshally and have a unique voice. Cool amps for some things though.

Yeah Diezels seem to be quite divisive - maybe because they're very un-Marshally and have a unique voice. Cool amps for some things though.

I had to sell my VH4 after trying for years to get along with it... I wanted to love it. Tubes/bias/ minor NFB mod from Peter/boosting, nothing did it. It was so close yet far at the same time.

I'm more a heavier drop tune player though and from clips I've heard, I would be more a Herbert guy to start with.

I had to sell my VH4 after trying for years to get along with it... I wanted to love it. Tubes/bias/ minor NFB mod from Peter/boosting, nothing did it. It was so close yet far at the same time.

I'm more a heavier drop tune player though and from clips I've heard, I would be more a Herbert guy to start with.
Probably yeah, but it's not world's away from the VH4.

As old mate Jonesy does they make a great blending amp. That big, thick, compressed wall is addictive but sometimes you need more sting. We've got a Cameron modded JMP here that will rip your head off - that pairs beautifully with the VH4, Herb and Recto. Might do a video on blending at some point, could be interesting.

For sure you can get good sounds with IR's but like anything tone related there's no guarantee you will. Besides the obvious (quality of load, selection of IR) it comes down to time, experimentation and experience.

Plenty of terrible sounding IR recordings around, but ultimately it's not all that different to the close-miking debates that pop up here occasionally. It can go as horribly wrong as any other capture technique and when it does, the car nor the racetrack should get the blame - that's on the driver.
Agreed homie, LOVE the car nor racetrack and driver sorta’ metaphoric analogy.
I actually was involved in a gnarly head on collision July 14th.
87 year old lady violated the right of way and cut me off…, so I get your analogy!!!
Your whole life can be gone in a flash..BOOM.
Gone.

-So LET’S LIVE!

Back