Flying V vs explorer style guitars

I have three Explorers and love all of them! I’ve never had any issues playing them sitting down or standing. Never owned a Flying V, but I’d really like to get one at some point.

I currently own this guitar (for sale by the way), and it is very comfortable sitting down. I also have a red LTD Deluxe 1001 arrow (also for sale), that I absolutely cannot gel with sitting down in the classical position. X shaped models are usually really big though overall. 20220321_125955.jpg

I don't play sitting very often, but when i do I play Jackson rhoads.
in all seriousness, i liked playing sitting with my old flying v also. Super strats are very comfortable for sitting down, but playing standing up make just makes sense, especially when you crank an amp. That's like sitting down at a metal concert. It is a goddamned crime.

I owned Vs and Explorer 90s. Vs are far better players. You have to educate yourself on playing them ”classical” style and they are easier to play than most sitting with their jack position. Explorers can be plankish and cumbersome. Something like a Hammered-out LP… Thinner but bulky at the elbow. They may do better or as well as a LP (depending on the individual) with a comfortable seated cut, but a bad jack position that (like a LP) could be a problem playing “strat-style” plugged in.

I like both, but the V is the better player, hands down- even over the more nimble Explorer 90s.

I have no problem playing either standing or sitting. No two guitars are alike so it is hard to say which is better. I love the ones I have or I wouldn't have bought them. Both shapes are awesome IMO.

Explorers just sound so much better than V, imho
Good guutars and bad guitars from EVERY shape/config. Maybe you aren't a V player? I know this statement is your opinion but there is no lack of tone if it was made well and from a nice chuck of tone woods.

More to my point, real story for the case of well made/good tone was a Gibson custom shop that surprised me how incredible the tone from a guitar that caught me when I looked at it I thought it would be a dog...it smoked, it was typical of a les paul construction; ie. mahogany body/carved maple top...I really never expected so much from the guitar at first impression but it delivered the goods like no other. I should have bought that guitar but it wasn't exactly perfect for what I would order from them/anyone and it wasn't cheap so I didn't but again typical Gibson. Afa a killer sounding V...they're out there. You just need to go out and find them. It's like the blackened King V that bob rock ordered for Hetfield I own, Mustaine has one from the same batch in the run and I know the serial# range. Those are some of the best Jackson King V's made/full of tone and well made old school Jackson's.

Last edited:
I have several V's and an Explorer. The Gibson V and the King V are the most comfortable shape to play sitting down. The Explorer isn't bad sitting down but really I hate playing sitting down. I'm a stand up player. I record standing up. I practice for shows standing up. Sitting down just feels different and weird. Except with a V.

I think Vs are super comfortable to play sitting down, I guess I'm in the minority here 🤷
Maybe it could be because you’re very tall and it fits well with your dimensions perhaps. Jeff also likes them a lot and similarly tall. For me at 5’11” I’ve not found any I’ve had comfortable sitting down. But no problems when standing with them

Maybe it could be because you’re very tall and it fits well with your dimensions perhaps. Jeff also likes them a lot and similarly tall. For me at 5’11” I’ve not found any I’ve had comfortable sitting down. But no problems when standing with them

That makes sense. I angle the neck fairly high when standing up, so the "knee between the wings" position seems super natural and comfortable to me, sitting down.

I have limited space and funds, or else I'd have a Scott Ian, ESP, or King V of some kind in the stable.

A neck thru LTD V-350 was my "beater" gigging guitar for a very long time.

Back