How to create a Speaker Cab IR

V-man

I have a 412 that has known but less popular speakers. The problem (to some) surrounds a belief that these speakers do not sound very good until cranked loudly, which is problematic for my arrangements. I have also searched and there is no IR for sale that I have come across for this Celestion speaker, much less, a cab option. So, I am considering the ease/possibility of doing my own.

What I have:
- Two 100w Marshall heads
- Aforementioned 412 cabinet
- Sennheiser E609 mic
- Scarlett I8 (gen 1) interface
- Sennheiser 380p headphones
- Ableton Live 11
- Presonus Capture for Ipad (trial version of Studio One also)
- PC
- Ipad
- TwoNotes Captor X and “Wall of Sound“

Assuming I CAN do this, what (if anything) more do I need and how do I put this together.

If I cannot do this in a practical sense, please fill me in on what the studios have I/we don’t that makes this impractical impossible.

Not to be that guy but if you just google this you will get some great step by step instructions and a multitude of YouTube videos that walk you through it

Yep there's a number of ways - jump on YouTube and find one that works for you. Many use a solid state amp, so you may want to look into that. We've developed a different method that doesn't require one, but I think that's the exception to the norm.

You probably won't get great results with the Captor though - a better load is required for speaker-like results in our experience.

OR......you could save yourself a lot of time and hassle and just get your IR's from @easstudios and be done with it. I have tried several different IR's from all kinds of companies and while some are very good, the easstudios IR's are the best and easiest to use for a great result that I have tried. To say it simply, they work.

As others have said, there are a lot of variables and different ways to approach it so that's why it may be hard to find one solution that fits all. Are you planning on using the IR's with the Captor and your amp, or with amp sims/modellers?

I would recommend trying a few different methods and seeing what works for you - at different points you have to decide which compromises make most sense for what you are trying to achieve, and to pick them carefully.

I agree with @ZEN Amps that the Captor isnt a particularly good load for good results using an amp and IR's, but I believe it can be used as a DI between amp and cab which may be useful to make IR's with. What are the amps you are using? Something with a good FX loop would be preferable so you can bypass the preamp.

@V-man

You just need your DAW, interface, mike, cabinet and preferably SS amp. If you don't have SS amp, you can try it with your Marshall head, in case it has Effect return. There are multiple ways, how to create the IR. Easier one based on a short pulse, a harder one with sine sweep. As the pulse is short, that method can be used also in a proximity of nervous neighbors.

Guy in the first video has pulses ready to download.

Not to be that guy but if you just google this you will get some great step by step instructions and a multitude of YouTube videos that walk you through it
Not that you were that guy at all, but I am starting a trend where blindly stumbling across searches is more productive than posting here.

My hope on fora is that I meet some experienced people who can answer some of my specific questions relay experience that is beneficial in avoiding pitfalls but sadly my recent experience with technical questions on “rig talk” is largely fruitless.

@V-man

You just need your DAW, interface, mike, cabinet and preferably SS amp. If you don't have SS amp, you can try it with your Marshall head, in case it has Effect return. There are multiple ways, how to create the IR. Easier one based on a short pulse, a harder one with sine sweep. As the pulse is short, that method can be used also in a proximity of nervous neighbors.

Guy in the first video has pulses ready to download.

Thank you for the response

my recent experience with technical questions on “rig talk” is largely fruitless
:) There are a few techies here. Mostly, however, musicians who come here to chit-chat. From instruments and gear to bullshit. Practically only one section where everything is piled up. But it's quite fun here.

@V-man I bought some IRs from Audio Assault a while back. I received an email about their updated AIR impulse rack. I downloaded it, installed and found that in their new standalone app there is a deconvolver with option to create sweep files. It seems to be a simple and cheap way to create IRs using the deconvolve process (Hop Pole video). That newer rack version looks good too.

https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins/products/air-impulse-rack

@frthib

Thanks! Yeah, EAS+Mirror is me, EAS is just my initials.

I made a bundle of cabinet packs a few years ago that I planned on selling through a friend’s website. I’m still waiting for the new website to launch, it’s taken a while. In the meantime I created Mirror Profiles which has all the more recent cabinet’s I’ve captured. They’re all made with the same gear and in the same detail, there’s just some different cabs and speakers between them. I can PM you more info about the EAS bundle if there’s anything you’re curious about :)

Back