• Thread starter Deleted member 43831
  • Start date
I think all players change musically and physically and mentally over the years and the course of time. They pick up new things or get stuck in other concepts etc. I know I feel like I was technically a better player 20 years ago but I know more now so it is a trade off. (Not comparing myself to these legends).

Also - who can keep breaking ground and pushing the envelope for 30 years? Not many players. If a guy lives long enough - you will get tired of him as he will run out of new things to say more or less. I do think physicality and overall body health affects guitar playing or any musician really as it is a physical activity.

JP is a killer player but what made him tick straight out of music school is probably much different than what motivates him now at his age and with years of work behind him.

In truth - famous musicians or any musician should work to keep their standard up and keep their chops in shape. However, just any of us in our jobs / life - we run out of energy and there is less gas in the tank.

It is an interesting discussion and Father Time is undefeated. That is why old records are so cool when viewed as snapshots of a different time when players were young and hungry and crushing it. We cannot go back to live there - only to visit it once in a while through a recording :)

Sorry for the ramble

Petrucci still goes out and plays all those songs flawlessly night after night, he just stopped playing interesting/inspired shit.

I worry about my hands when I do other hobbies. I don't lift, but I can totally see the stress and wear on hands could possibly impact speed and dexterity. I train Jiu Jitsu 4 times a week and I've already seen some arthritis from it in my hands, needless to say I'm way more careful now when training.

I've got his most recent solo album and he plays his ass off. How it compares to 20 years ago? None of us are what we were 20 years ago :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can't wait for videos trying to guess Petrucci's cycle.
Sup guys, Derek from moreplatesmoredates dot com here...

I doubt Shawn Lane stressed his muscles, joints, tendons and central nervous system the way the other guys did in their heavy weight/high repetition workouts.

From bodybuilding.com:
Your CNS is responsible for generating muscular contractions in all types of training, so when you stack workout upon workout, eventually it can tire out. As a result of this general fatigue, you will be weaker and slower in all of your movements.”
Actually Shawn Lane's psoriatic arthritis causes inflammation of connective tissues - something I know more about than I would like. It's pretty remarkable actually because the tendons and ligaments of the hands and fingers are often affected in the disease but he was crazy limber. Then again he supposedly took prednisone consistently for years, which definitely kills your inflammation, but also makes you fat, prone to infection, and gives you osteoporosis.

i'm afraid of going to the gym now. i haven't been to a gym since the early 2000's. Since then, Female gym wear has become FAR more flattering/revealing. I'm worried i'm going to walk in, look at the cardio section, see 40 smokin hot, instagram influencer wannabees working on being the hottest, and my head will explode.
I’m worried about walking around trying to hide my boner

I’m worried about walking around trying to hide my boner
1658951731101.png

I think body building starts to look ridiculous and retarded up to a certain point.

The hair metal dudes like Nuno and DeMartini did it right IMO.

This is the proper male fizeek!
1659215879766.png
1659216203761.png

Sup guys, Derek from moreplatesmoredates dot com here...

Actually Shawn Lane's psoriatic arthritis causes inflammation of connective tissues - something I know more about than I would like. It's pretty remarkable actually because the tendons and ligaments of the hands and fingers are often affected in the disease but he was crazy limber. Then again he supposedly took prednisone consistently for years, which definitely kills your inflammation, but also makes you fat, prone to infection, and gives you osteoporosis.
My wife has psoriatic arthritis and it kicks her ass regularly. I couldn't imagine playing guitar with it. I basically open everything in the house for her. It really just hit her the past year or so but it has been a struggle so far. She has also completely lost hearing in left ear and a good chunk of hearing in her right ear around 3 years ago. It makes me appreciative that I can still enjoy my hobby.

I couldn't imagine being Jason Becker. I probably would have killed myself after the diagnosis.

As far as working out and playing guitar I always feel like my guitar playing benefits from me working out BUT I probably weigh as much as JP's leg. I'm nowhere near a body builder but I do think that a lot of guys have limited mobility after getting so big. Unless they do yoga or BJJ

The low body fat maybe, but anyone who's ever lifted before can look at their bodies and tell you don't get defined delts, biceps, or shoulders like that without lifting. They worked out.
Eh Maybe. That's what lower body fat, not so big muscles looks like.
I doubt they worked out at all.

Back