Most Overrated/Underrated Tone

Great story man! I know I was like 14 9th grade 1st year a HS brought in 9th grade , new buildings..etc , Super po dunk town , there was a canteen cage they would.open at lunch, all the freaks would gather in a huge swarm and smoke cigs and weed, some cat has a huge jam box, loud for back then, VH starts playing and I looked at my best friend and I said who is that???? RWTD then Eruption, just discovering Mary J and hearing VH , after that I was never the same, never asked the guy who it was, to much of a punk to ever talk to anyone I didn't know, eventually I found out, my mind will never be that impressed with a guitar sound ever again. That's saying alot, but I had heard tons of good shit, zepp, skynyrd even Boston was really good for back then, all the stuff in that time,
I remember finding a Kinks album at home at a pretty young age, (along Elvis, The Beatles, John Denver, Simon and Garfunkel). My younger brother and I were pretty adept at loading records, both 7 and 12". So I already dug "You Really Got Me".

So when that broke on the radio from VH it was like Ya. Wow. OK. Damn. Shit. Fuck. That. Is. Insane. :LOL:

I can see the thing people complain about Edward the most though. I mean, he's my favorite guitarist ever but he's not for everyone. That's cool. Enjoy who you like.

He did have a tendency to show off a bit. OK.

His writing, rhythm, leads, tone, etc just speaks to me. I personally give Ed a pass on the show-off stuff because face it:
1. He did it well
2. He could get away with it
3. He wrote a lot of the music
4. He used to be lead singer
5. Dave was not the best singer
6. Why just play rhythms when you can add little fills and other 'voices' to your songs

Last edited:
I can see the thing people complain about Edward the most though. I mean, he's my favorite guitarist ever but he's not for everyone. That's cool. Enjoy who like.

His writing, rhythm, leads, tone, etc just speaks to me. I personally give Ed a pass on the show-off stuff because face it:
1. He did it well
6. Why just play boring rhythms when you can add little fills and other 'voices' to your songs
I enjoy every guitarist that plays well. I honestly never dislike any .I just enjoy more than others . But man I lived Eddie’s bright tone

I can see the thing people complain about Edward the most though. I mean, he's my favorite guitarist ever but he's not for everyone. That's cool. Enjoy who like.

1. He did it well
6. Why just play boring rhythms when you can add little fills and other 'voices' to your songs
I don't mind show-off-y if done with tasteful licks that tell me something musically (I very much welcome that). That's the problem imo with EVH's leads. They sounded obnoxious to me with nothing to tell me. I want flash with class if one goes that route like Rhoads, Friedman, Becker. For my taste he wasn't getting away with it. It always to me stuck out like a sore thumb as the weakest parts of the songs. IMO there's no valid excuse to have parts of any song or piece of music that take such a dive in musical/emotional quality. It doesn't matter if it's a lead, riff, chorus, whatever, every part of piece should strive to be of good musical quality imo. We can all agree it's nice to have more than boring rhythms (his rhythms were not at all boring though), but tasteless/vapid leads get equally boring fast. Of course it's great to have fills IF (and only IF) they're actually adding musical value to the piece. Randy Rhoads fills in Crazy Train and Mr Crowley were actually accomplishing this as an example. He was flash with class and sadly that has been such a rare thing to have in this genre. Perhaps I'm a hypocrite since I don't really write music (I mostly just play classical guitar), but I really thinks these guitarists should step up their game with the musical ideas they come up with. Leads shouldn't be an afterthought with respect to the music

Last edited:
I don't mind show-off-y if done with tasteful licks that tell me something musically (I very much welcome that). That's the problem imo with EVH's leads. They sounded obnoxious to me with nothing to tell me. I want flash with class if one goes that route like Rhoads, Friedman, Becker. For my taste he wasn't getting away with it. It always to me stuck out like a sore thumb as the weakest parts of the songs. IMO there's no valid excuse to have parts of any song or piece of music that take such a dive in musical/emotional quality. It doesn't matter if it's a lead, riff, chorus, whatever, every part of piece should strive to be of good musical quality imo. We can all agree it's nice to have more than boring rhythms (his rhythms were not at all boring though), but tasteless/vapid leads get equally boring fast. Of course it's great to have fills IF (and IF) they're actually adding musical value to the piece. Randy Rhoads fills in Crazy Train and Mr Crowley were actually accomplishing this as an example. He was flash with class and sadly that has been such a rare thing to have in this genre. Perhaps I'm a hypocrite since I don't really write music (I mostly just play classical guitar), but I really thinks these guitarists should step up their game with the musical ideas they come up with. Leads shouldn't be an afterthought with respect to the music
The more I read your posts the more I realize we could never be friends. 😆 🤣 😂

The more I read your posts the more I realize we could never be friends. 😆 🤣 😂
Hahaha I tend to disagree on things musically with most of my friends in person, but we have other things that bring us together and they seem to be entertained with the way I rip on the music they like. I'm more thorough with that in person, but they're not into VH as much. The garbage some of them like would be for example Bob Dylan, some artists that I guess would be considered sub-genre's of classical that I don't like etc. My strong opinions are also partly a way to have a deeper discussion with others than just the stupid "dude that sounds killer bro" type talks

Zakk a tone on No Rest is killer though
Such a great record, nasty riffs. I remember my mom took that cassette away cause the media said Ozzy was “the devil”. Years later I remember her watching The Osbournes and how much she loved Ozzy. This comes up every once and a while and she always says “the media is believable lies, gotta do your own research”

Hahaha I tend to disagree on things musically with most of my friends in person, but we have other things that bring us together and they seem to be entertained with the way I rip on the music they like. I'm more thorough with that in person, but they're not into VH as much. The garbage some of them like would be for example Bob Dylan, some artists that I guess would be considered sub-genre's of classical that I don't like etc. My strong opinions are also partly a way to have a deeper discussion with others than just the stupid "dude that sounds killer bro" type talks
Consider me entertained but it must be very difficult to play guitar with your arms in a perpetually crossed state. Don't your elbows ever lock up from all that arm crossing? :giggle:

Consider me entertained but it must be very difficult to play guitar with your arms in a perpetually crossed state. Don't your elbows ever lock up from all that arm crossing? :giggle:
You’re right I must clearly be a terrible player if I don’t like aspects of other’s playing. Well at the next competition I will tell the judges in advance that they should ding me for being so hard on overrated electric players. Even if they ask why this is relevant to classical guitar, I’ll tell them the guys on the forums said so and they know better

I guess since Yngwie also criticized so many, he must just be so naturally gifted that he could play well without practicing

You’re right I must clearly be a terrible player if I don’t like aspects of other’s playing. Well at the next competition I will tell the judges in advance that they should ding me for being so hard on overrated electric players. Even if they ask why this is relevant to classical guitar, I’ll tell them the guys on the forums said so and they know better

I guess since Yngwie also criticized so many, he must just be so naturally gifted that he could play well without practicing
No, no, I'm not saying that at all. As usual my post was very tongue in cheek and facetious.

His live tone was killer, on records not so much.
Most definitely, only thing that I wouldn't know much about, the live album was released after Randy had passed was from board recordings made while he was touring previously? So how much production was added? Considering its it's his best tone ever on an album makes me think quite a bit, however this isnt based on anything to validate my opinion. And other live recordings back then kind of had the same effect IMO. Unleashed in the East by JP has better guitar tone than there studio recordings IMO. When I saw them live it wasn't even close, buried in the mix compared to that live sound. Just my Opinion of course

And to add, a friend of mine who got to see Randy live said his playing was unreal, like nothing he'd ever seen! Bending the neck on his LP and just shredding with an aggressive vengeance,

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo
I don't mind show-off-y if done with tasteful licks that tell me something musically (I very much welcome that). That's the problem imo with EVH's leads. They sounded obnoxious to me with nothing to tell me. I want flash with class if one goes that route like Rhoads, Friedman, Becker. For my taste he wasn't getting away with it. It always to me stuck out like a sore thumb as the weakest parts of the songs. IMO there's no valid excuse to have parts of any song or piece of music that take such a dive in musical/emotional quality. It doesn't matter if it's a lead, riff, chorus, whatever, every part of piece should strive to be of good musical quality imo. We can all agree it's nice to have more than boring rhythms (his rhythms were not at all boring though), but tasteless/vapid leads get equally boring fast. Of course it's great to have fills IF (and only IF) they're actually adding musical value to the piece. Randy Rhoads fills in Crazy Train and Mr Crowley were actually accomplishing this as an example. He was flash with class and sadly that has been such a rare thing to have in this genre. Perhaps I'm a hypocrite since I don't really write music (I mostly just play classical guitar), but I really thinks these guitarists should step up their game with the musical ideas they come up with. Leads shouldn't be an afterthought with respect to the music
I removed the word boring because I don't find his rhythm to be boring at all.
I was more talking about everyone else (in general) :D
It's cool. I'm not trying to talk you into liking EVH.
I think Randy Rhodes is bad ass.
If you don't think Edward's leads fit the song I'd at least ask you to check out the solos in:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Jump
Push Comes to Shove
Dance the Night Away
Mean Street
And the Cradle Will Rock
I'll wait
One Foot Out the Door (my favorite)

If you've listened to those solos and don't feel anything then that's that. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Underrated and completely overlooked...Woody Weatherman.

Listen to the beginning of Stonebreaker. That's some filthy, greasy goodness!

I removed the word boring because I don't find his rhythm to be boring at all.
I was more talking about everyone else (in general) :D
It's cool. I'm not trying to talk you into liking EVH.
I think Randy Rhodes is bad ass.
If you don't think Edward's leads fit the song I'd at least ask you to check out the solos in:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Jump
Push Comes to Shove
Dance the Night Away
Mean Street
And the Cradle Will Rock
I'll wait
One Foot Out the Door (my favorite)

If you've listened to those solos and don't feel anything then that's that. Enjoy what you enjoy.
In the Sammy era and beyond, I definitely agree with BT that EVH did alot of mindless noodling. But within those earlier tracks you listed, just the timing of the notes in those leads is masterful. Not many players in EVH's league when it comes to that. I feel them bigtime.

In the Sammy era and beyond, I definitely agree with BT that EVH did alot of mindless noodling. But within those earlier tracks you listed, just the timing of the notes in those leads is masterful. Not many players in EVH's league when it comes to that. I feel them bigtime.
And then there are things like the intro to Dirty Movies or Hear About it Later where it sounds like Ed is talking or singing to you with his guitar. Telling a story. I can feel a lot of connection there :yes:

But I hate these threads because they always devolve into people trying to convince someone else of something which is why I always try to add the comment of 'Like what you like'.

PS: Yeah I purposely stayed out of the Hagar era although there are some gems in there too. AFU maybe and Can't Stop Loving You.

I think what is missing from this question or discussion is what records are we referring to? Most of these guys tones changed from record to record (like EVH). For example - I loved his Fair Warning tone the best as it was dark and nasty vs. say, the tone on 0U812 etc. OR Zakk Wylde - Pride and Glory, or No Rest for The Wicked tones are killer. BLS ? Not so much to me. I think players go through an evolution and people are cherry picking or referencing their favorite versions or most hated versions of said tones. For me Randy Rhoads tones on the 2 studio albums were lame. The Tribute record was killer though. So it depends on the record etc. to me.

I always thought Mick Sweda had some killer tones on the Bulletboys stuff.

Early Billy Gibbons or even first 6 records tone was killer. Later output ? Lame

Love me some Frank Marino tones

Too many to mention really

Back