Splawn Small Blocks

BeZo

I dragged my Splawn cab to practice yesterday and ran it with a Matamp (Green) 4x12 loaded with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers. Both are higher wattage Greenback variants, so it made sense in my head. The Splawn cab smoked the Matamp cab though. My Verellen Skyhammer really likes that cab. Problem is: I only have one, and it's 16 ohms. My other cabs are all 8 ohm V30 cabs. I do love my Mesa Traditional 4x12 and Rivera K412T, but the Splawn cab just rips. Anyone else play them? What other speakers even compare? I want to play it out, but I need another cab for the full stack, otherwise I lose my doom metal cred. Should I just buy another Splawn cab?

Last edited:
I want to say I’m trying to put together another cab with Splawn small blocks right now. Killer speakers and I love their voicing.

I plan to do an X pattern with celestion creamback 75Hz. The splawns have a relaxed mid and high end and a defined low mid and low character. The celestion creambacks will balance well with them.

In the past I ran Splawn small blocks with V30s and it was a great aggressive sound but it was just too much mids for my preference, I want a more flat response cab this time around so that’s what I’m planning to do,

The Splawn small blocks rip and I’m surprised more people don’t love them. They’re my favorite high power greenback.

I want to say I’m trying to put together another cab with Splawn small blocks right now. Killer speakers and I love their voicing.

I plan to do an X pattern with celestion creamback 75Hz. The splawns have a relaxed mid and high end and a defined low mid and low character. The celestion creambacks will balance well with them.

In the past I ran Splawn small blocks with V30s and it was a great aggressive sound but it was just too much mids for my preference, I want a more flat response cab this time around so that’s what I’m planning to do,

The Splawn small blocks rip and I’m surprised more people don’t love them. They’re my favorite high power greenback.

Agreed on using V30s with a Splawn. Just too much honky mid bite that overpowers the whole sound. My buddy ran his quickrod with those until I sold him a pair of Eminence Wizards. Now those speakers sound GREAT with Splawn amps, even in a 2x12 cab like my buddy currently uses. I have yet to try Small Blocks, but always heard great things about them.

I have a pair of Small Bocks I'd be willing to let go of. PM me if you're interested.

I liked them in my Splawn 2X12, (I have 25 watt versions of these) but they were a little dark, so I swapped them out for a Scumback M75/J75 combo and have just rolled with it. I wish I had another 2 x12 so I could A/B them because I don't remember disliking anything about them.
Being 25 watt speakers it seemed like they were a bit quieter than the scumbacks but that may be in my head. I have quick connect cables in my Splawn cab now maybe I'll throw them back in and see what I think.

I liked them in my Splawn 2X12, (I have 25 watt versions of these) but they were a little dark, so I swapped them out for a Scumback M75/J75 combo and have just rolled with it. I wish I had another 2 x12 so I could A/B them because I don't remember disliking anything about them.
Being 25 watt speakers it seemed like they were a bit quieter than the scumbacks but that may be in my head. I have quick connect cables in my Splawn cab now maybe I'll throw them back in and see what I think.
I didn't know he even had a 25w Small Block. Do you have any more info or proof of that? Not calling you out - just curious mainly. I know he had several manufacturers of the Small Block including Eminence and WGS.

It(small block) sounded GREAT in that Streedrod combo I used to have....man that was a smokin' amp...."that" sound right out of the box.

I didn't know he even had a 25w Small Block. Do you have any more info or proof of that? Not calling you out - just curious mainly. I know he had several manufacturers of the Small Block including Eminence and WGS.
sure I'll take some pictures of them tomorrow and post them up so you can see them, from memory I think they say "25 watts" right on the back of the magnet label. I was surprised when I opened the cab (I bought it used off of craigslist) it was definitely stock too.

I did V30s and Greenbacks for a while, but I don't like it. It came out a little muddy, and neither fixed each other's issues. I might consider V30s and Small Blocks, but I'm trying to get away from V30s. If I'm going to run V30s, I'll just run the Mesa full stack.

What about T75s? How does a Splawn cab sound sitting on top of a Marshall cab?

I did V30s and Greenbacks for a while, but I don't like it. It came out a little muddy, and neither fixed each other's issues. I might consider V30s and Small Blocks, but I'm trying to get away from V30s. If I'm going to run V30s, I'll just run the Mesa full stack.

What about T75s? How does a Splawn cab sound sitting on top of a Marshall cab?
T75’s would work, like I said I’m planning on Creamback H75’s. They act like a V30 sonically but with less mids and more sizzle.

I have a Splawn 212 with 55w Small Blocks
I have a Mesa Trad 412 with v30s

Splawn sounds best with Small Blocks for sure.
Mesa sounds good with either cab.

here you go,
small block.jpg
I was not BS-ing you guys

I know :) , no problem , I didn't know they even made them in a 25 watt until I opened the cab

Last edited:
Back