Celestion Creamback M65 fans?

Hey guys,

I used to use Greenbacks and Lynchbacks for years. I eventually started using mostly V30s, K100s, CL80s, Mesa C90s and Redbacks.

I've been craving some of the tone and feel I got from GB type speakers, but I no longer own my Greenbacks and Lynchbacks.

I already have like I said, Redbacks, Mesa V30s. I'm thinking I could grab CB M65s to pair with my V30s, and maybe eventually getting CL80s or C90s.
Believe it or not, Celestion recommends the Cream back M66 with either V30s, CL80s or CB H75s.
To me, the H75, lacks the warm and woody mids of the M65/GB. Even my Redbacks have more warmth and better mids than the H75.

Anyone try the Creamback M65 for not only rock and hard rock, but metal, as well?
I'm almost all 70s/80s rock metal and some early 90s for most part and I'm rocking 65 creams up top and V30s on bottom of my Splawn 4x12.

2 modded Superleads, an 83 2203, triple Rec and 5150III all sound great with it.

Never a big V30 fan but they are pairing well with my creambacks.

Ive been using a CB 65 for a month or so recording. It is in a cab witha WGS ET65. The CB to me sounds like a GB but not as loose. I like it. Also have a Redback and V30. None of those speakers sound at all alike.

I'm almost all 70s/80s rock metal and some early 90s for most part and I'm rocking 65 creams up top and V30s on bottom of my Splawn 4x12.

2 modded Superleads, an 83 2203, triple Rec and 5150III all sound great with it.

Never a big V30 fan but they are pairing well with my creambacks.
I like that blend but I think I like Redbacks more.

Problem is we play some low volume gigs and jams and V30 aren't great at low volumes.

What year is your Triple Rec?
I have a BFG modded DR.

I have a Splawn with Redbacks/V30s and want this Bogner 412 with lighter magnet speakers or at least two.
M65/CL80
M65/T75
M65/Fane 70
V30, etc..... But 30s aren't great at low volume.

I like that blend but I think I like Redbacks more.

Problem is we play some low volume gigs and jams and V30 aren't great at low volumes.

What year is your Triple Rec?
I have a BFG modded DR.

I have a Splawn with Redbacks/V30s and want this Bogner 412 with lighter magnet speakers or at least two.
M65/CL80
M65/T75
M65/Fane 70
V30, etc..... But 30s aren't great at low volume.
I believe it's a 2009, but have to double check. It's a 3 channel solo. Currently out of rotation, but may slide back next week.

Have not had chance to play Redbacks yet.

Hey guys...

I've been using a lot of heavy magnet speakers with high wattage limits. Years ago I used more Greenbacks and Lynchbacks.

In recent years I've been using Redbacks, CL80s and K100s and one can has two V30s (Mesa) blended.

I am getting a few Creamback M65s to blend in as soon as I get a few cabinets back with new grill cloth.

I'm trying to get away from the immediate response and in your face feel and get a softer, forgiving less in your face feel.
Do you think having a few cabs blending in Creambacks which are lower wattage and lighter magnets, make a difference?
I used to use CL80/Lynchback and before that Greenback/Lynchnack.

Trying to get the best of both worlds, so I'm blending with a punchy heavy magnet speaker.

Cool thing about Redbacks is they have some of that light magnet feel.

Thanks guys.

My question is more around do you guys think that lighter magnet speakers have a less immediate in your face feel and sound? It's almost like every note is so immediate and up front.

I talked to a friend from Celestion once who explained how a heavy magnet speaker is like the voice or vocals are smacking you immediately in the face and the light magnet is sort of like the vocals off in the distance or background. I forget exactly what he said, but close to that.

My question is more around do you guys think that lighter magnet speakers have a less immediate in your face feel and sound? It's almost like every note is so immediate and up front.

I talked to a friend from Celestion once who explained how a heavy magnet speaker is like the voice or vocals are smacking you immediately in the face and the light magnet is sort of like the vocals off in the distance or background. I forget exactly what he said, but close to that.
Spot on 100%

Spot on 100%
And that is why I think I miss the feel of light magnet speakers. My tech is very good and technical and he means toward light magnet speakers and I can see why. I am hoping a mix of light and heavy gives me the best of both worlds. Punchy, deep bass but more forgiving and less immediate.
I find I have to be on and very accurate wirh heavy magnets speakers while I have more five and play more relaxed with light magnet speakers. But I like attributes of both.

I have two 212OS cabs and four speakers plus I have an extra K100.

Was thinking of a few scenarios:

Bogner 212OS - CL80/Creamback 65
Stone Age 212OS - Two Redbacks
-or-
Bogner 212OS - Redback/Cream back 65
Stone Age 212OS - Redback/CL80

Unless I use my K100, then I can do a CL80/K100 or Redback/K100.

But if the light magnet does what I believe it will, I may want to start switching.

Although years ago, I used V30s, CL80s, GBs, Lynchbacks, etc. I never really noticed those small differences.

Last edited:
Did some comparisons today.
Tried a cab with two Creamback 65s and one with two Redbacks. Flipped them to the opposite cabs and then did a blend with Redback/M65 and then CL80/M66.

In each case, I preferred the heavy magnet speakers. I don't notice the in your face vs relaxed or forgiving nature as much as I do the thickness and fullness of heavy magnet speakers. I just much prefer Redbacks to anything but also like CL80s, K100s and V30s for variety. I think I am done with the light magnet speakers.

So I'm running Redbacks with English V30s in my Splawn straight cab and Redbacks with Creamback M65s in my Bogner 412 with straight, tilted baffle. Love em!

Something I noticed about Chinese V30's, they have more mid grind than UK V30's have. I have noticed this every time I hear them compared to each other, so for metal I think the chinese V30's kinda edge the UK V30's out. Just my opinion. Personally, the Marshall vintage speakers I tried sounded kinda shitty, like a bad V30, with lacking low end and upper mids.

Never tried Creambacks, but want to. Maybe I'll X pattern them with the V30's in my Avatar Vintage cab??

Do you guys think it's a good idea to ditch my stock Bogner cab China V30s and grab UK V30s.
I can't decide if I should do that or get CL80s.
Does your cab sound good as is? Then don't do it. Especially not for cl80's. China V30's and UK v30's sound quite similar, the chinese ones just have more of an upper mid grind, while the UK v30's might be a bit more balanced sounding, but the difference is not huge.

If you got a good sounding cab it's best to leave it alone, like people have told me, finding good V30's is a crapshoot and if you gotta cab with v30's that sounds really good just keep it as is.

Does your cab sound good as is? Then don't do it. Especially not for cl80's. China V30's and UK v30's sound quite similar, the chinese ones just have more of an upper mid grind, while the UK v30's might be a bit more balanced sounding, but the difference is not huge.

If you got a good sounding cab it's best to leave it alone, like people have told me, finding good V30's is a crapshoot and if you gotta cab with v30's that sounds really good just keep it as is.
No, I hated it. The stock China V30s and H30 were like ice.

The UK V30s I bought for my Splawn are better.

Meh,
If I needed a higher power Greenback variant, I suppose it would be a decent choice.
However, to me it sounds like a darker, blah sounding Greenback.

I'm trying to decide between G12M-65 or Fane F-70. I have a cab already with G12H-75 and love 'em with most amps.

Something I noticed about Chinese V30's, they have more mid grind than UK V30's have. I have noticed this every time I hear them compared to each other, so for metal I think the chinese V30's kinda edge the UK V30's out. Just my opinion. Personally, the Marshall vintage speakers I tried sounded kinda shitty, like a bad V30, with lacking low end and upper mids.

Never tried Creambacks, but want to. Maybe I'll X pattern them with the V30's in my Avatar Vintage cab??

Chinese v30s are great too, they are all great in my opinion. My Engl cab has Chinese v30s in it and they sound phenomenal. They are just different than the Uk v30s and sometimes, they work better in a track. People over analyze this way too much I think personally. If you like v30s, chances are you will like all of them( good sounding versions of each Atleast) in some way shape or form. They all work and sound great. I definitely disagree about the Marshall vintage speakers though: they have more low end than any v30 variant in my opinion.

Back