Pickups for McCarty mahogany?

I like the Custom but the Timbre Wolf and Monkey Buckers are like better Customs. The Aldrich is like a better JB.
But, I may give those a try though.

Im a fan of the Wolfetones. The Timbre Wolf sounds like it would do what your looking for. The Monkeybucker as well. The Monkeybucker would be more chunky, the Timbre Wolf more creamy.
Is one brighter than the other? Timbre vs Monkey?

I've got a 2004 McCarty with IRW and stock McCarty pickups. Very thick warm sounding guitar. Sounds great with my Marshall's.

24 custom Floyd with \m/ pickups not as thick. Alsop much higher output.

Haven't felt need to swap for most part.

Briefly played a McCarty (traded it like a fool, sigh...), and I had two different bridge pickups in there at different times.
First, I had the SH-5 Duncan Custom which blended beautifully with that guitar.
Full, bold tone but not harsh or overwhelming. Loved it.
Later I put a 59 Custom Hybrid in there because I loved it in another guitar and wanted to split it for more tone versatility.
Worked really good as well, though I found myself not really utilizing it as much as I had thought I would've and probably could've kept the SH-5.
At least when I traded it, the Hybrid pickup was still in there, I kept the SH-5 and threw it in another PRS and put it to good use.
A buddy I was jamming with at the time also had a McCarty that he had the Suhr Aldrich in and it sounded quite good as well.

Back