Boutique SD-1?

Rex Rocker

I know there are a lot of boutique-y alternatives to the TS, but how about the SD-1?

Not really boutique, but I really like my MXR Wylde OD as far a tweak on the classic SD-1. Is there anything else?

So many are takes on it..you could probably throw cusak screamer in that hat as well. I have an on floor audio boost which is his take on an SD1 refined but not sure he makes em anymore. To be honest, stock SD-1 is just that sound when I want it. Making it more polite takes away from its strengths.

1659813389988.png

I think the thing about the SD-1 is more than just the asymmetrical clipping. It's also that the tone stack cuts more low-end and focuses the mids higher up. Then again, that's just my thoughts. Do you guys not agree?

Last edited:
I think the thing about the SD-1 is more than just the asymmetrical clipping. It's also that the tone stack cuts more low-end and focuses the mids higher up. Then again, that's just my thoughts. Do you guys not agree?
The asymmetrical clipping really dont even matter much if you keep the gain on 0 like many people do.

Yeah, the SD-1 cuts more lows and focuses the mids higher at around 900 to 1000 hz instead of 720 hz like a Tubescreamer.

calling @hammered to answer this one.. he is the authority on overdrives, I think he's owned just about every one of them. That asymmetrical clipping is a sound... not sure if the boutiques are doing it in the same way
Oh wow man hey thanks lol . I haven’t tried any Super Overdrive variants except for the Wylde overdrive and that was probably well over 10 years ago . At the moment the standard Super Overdrive is serving me well set as a clean boost with my Splawns but I noticed using it with the current SLO Mini that SD-1 really hacks off some low end where I need to dial some bass back in on the amp itself

I see good reviews on the Waza SD-1.

I have an old MIT from 1990 and I clipped out one cap and it sounds great.
I have an SD-1W. I like it. Honestly, I usually prefer the stock setting, but the custom setting with the extra level and bass sounds killer through some amps. I thought it sounded particularly good into a stock JCM800. In the room, it had more thump and saturation without getting muddy. Not sure if it would sound better mic’d up, but it sounded killer in the room and better than the stock setting imo.

Check Analogman for mods on a standard SD-1, can’t be the newest surface mount component ones though, he won’t mod those.

I reckon the Keeley-modded SD-1 might count?

Idk but it's my favorite boost pedal ever for hard rock all the way up to brutal gainz. Definitely a "never sell" pedal for me

I see good reviews on the Waza SD-1.

I have an old MIT from 1990 and I clipped out one cap and it sounds great.
This. The Waza, a vintage 80s, 90s MIT and the newest versions all sound different enough from each other that you could get all 4 and each would offer a change up to the other.

Back