Anybody here try the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup.

Tone Junkie

Is it chimey, bright, muddy. I’ve listened to some YouTube vids but you know how that goes.

What other pickup comes close.

yes, I have the Aldrich/SSV combo in my Charvel DK24 and the 7 string versions "Hot7/SSV" in my Ibanez RG3727.
To me it sounds like a cross between a JB and a BareKnuckle HolyDiver.
No upper Mid spike (JB) but meatier than the HolyDiver. I really like these, they are loud and clear.

I have the Aldrichs in three of my guitars. To me, they are warm, fat and clear. The have a bit of compression, but nothing like a Duncan Distortion. They smack the front end of you amp in a very pleasing way. They have a mid range growl to them that works great with Marshall style amps.

I have the Aldrichs in three of my guitars. To me, they are warm, fat and clear. The have a bit of compression, but nothing like a Duncan Distortion. They smack the front end of you amp in a very pleasing way. They have a mid range growl to them that works great with Marshall style amps.
I have one also: totally agree.

I have them in my Strandberg. I had intended to replace them with my signature Hellabucker, but they are nearly identical. perfect mids, tight low end, no ice pick.

To me, they are warm, fat and clear. The have a bit of compression, but nothing like a Duncan Distortion. They smack the front end of you amp in a very pleasing way. They have a mid range growl to them that works great with Marshall style amps.
Yes I agree! I prefer the Suhr SSH+ compare to the aldrich has more open sound and less bass in the eq

I haven’t played one but all of the clips of the Aldrich pickup make every guitar sound nearly identical regardless of what they’re installed in. I just don’t like it enough over a Gibson 496/498, Duncan distortion, or a Tonezone.

They are one of my favorite pickups. Whenever I cannot deal with stock (or whatever pickups came in a used guitar) pickups, my go-to has been the Aldrich for many years. I can't even begin to count the number of them I've bought.

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I pretty much had decided to get a bridge either way. Most of you confirmed it. 🤘😎🤘

I like the added compression (I don't really hear much compared to any of the Bare Knuckle pickups I like to got to), playing a stiff amp like a Splawn they actually work really well with my rig. Great lead playing pickup for sure, and tighter than a JB.
When Bare Knuckle prices went up to almost $200 a pick up I needed an alternative. these were suggested and I'm glad I gave them a try.

Put mine in my explorer. Love it. Nice no brainer go to for a pickup if you need detail, crunch, and even tone. ( not too thin, not too fat) Drives an amp nicely especially at volume.

Have one in my les paul, absolutely love it for sure. That guitar stays in drop D mostly, and it just sounds great. No ice picks, great mids, thick bottom end, can’t complain at all. Highly recommended

I have the Alrich set in my 75' L6-S. It's perfect for that guitar. The bridge tones are full, but not nasal. Plenty of juice. It cleans up nicely too. Works very well when used with the neck pickup.

I haven’t played one but all of the clips of the Aldrich pickup make every guitar sound nearly identical regardless of what they’re installed in. I just don’t like it enough over a Gibson 496/498, Duncan distortion, or a Tonezone.

That's funny, I absolutely hated the 496 in my explorer. That set was just so uninspiring for me. Air Classic neck and Aldrich in bridge and boom! Good to go. Interesting how we all hear things.

This has not been my findings and I’ve had a lot of them

I had one in a Les Paul Standard I used to have and was a great pickup. Cleans up great which is not something the JB does good IMO. Not harsh and really sounds great with chords and solo work.

As a comparison, I've owned guitars with the JB, Duncan Distortion, Iommi, and Gibson 500T, 498, 490, and others. The Aldrich is high output but wouldn't guess it.

I was in a cover band when I was using this and did everything from Creedence to ZZ Top to AIC and Velvet Revolver. Covered a lot of bases. For reference, the amp was a Peavey JSX at the time.

I think psychodave’s clips of his various Cameron modded amps all have his red Charvel Pro Mod with a bridge position Aldrich in common, that tells me everything I need to know. Killer tones.

I had the Aldrich set in an 03 lp standard for years. That guitar into my Mesa mark iv was just tonal heaven. The neck handles gain really well, better than any neck pickup I tried. They also split really well. I just moved to thornbuckers in the guitar as I am trending toward lower output pickups these days.

Back