Boutique SD-1?

I will say that you have to be careful... as you volume goes up, you need less drive from the OD in the circuit. Marshall style amps really open up with the MV over 6. But you compensate by bringing preamp down so you don't flub out and you will notice that when you are up there, you only need a subtle push. This is where the koko boost mid push is perfect. I like it less when the MV is down. There I will push more with an OD and get the drive up. But loud, you are more than likely just using the level control on the OD so less need to be so damn picky about boutique. IMO of course.

Last edited:
So many are takes on it..you could probably throw cusak screamer in that hat as well. I have an on floor audio boost which is his take on an SD1 refined but not sure he makes em anymore. To be honest, stock SD-1 is just that sound when I want it. Making it more polite takes away from its strengths.
I also have an On Floor Audio modded SD-1 as well as one of his boosts. They’re both great!

I just ordered a Friedman buxom boost and a fender engager overdrive... both have a full eq. I will be comparing them to the SD1 and the GE7 to see what stays...

Interested in this topic as well, I have gone back on forth on if the Waza version of the SD-1 is worth the upgrade vs the standard version. Is the Lovepedal Eternity more tube screamer than SD-1? What circuit is the Friedman Golden Pearl based on?

I did a shoot-out with my SD-1 vs the Fulldrive II as I am putting a small board together. The SD-1 is going on the board. What it does, it does well. Against the FD-II's various modes and all, the SD-1 was better, for me. This is thru a 2203X.
The FD-II wasn't bad, it was actually very good. The closest the FD-II can to the SD-1 was in "Comp Cut" mode.

Interested in this topic as well, I have gone back on forth on if the Waza version of the SD-1 is worth the upgrade vs the standard version. Is the Lovepedal Eternity more tube screamer than SD-1? What circuit is the Friedman Golden Pearl based on?

I would like to try a Golden Pearl again. Sold one a couple years ago when I was blowing through about 15 OD's a year. I remember liking it but I couldn't stop f'ing around with the switches.

I did a shoot-out with my SD-1 vs the Fulldrive II as I am putting a small board together. The SD-1 is going on the board. What it does, it does well. Against the FD-II's various modes and all, the SD-1 was better, for me. This is thru a 2203X.
The FD-II wasn't bad, it was actually very good. The closest the FD-II can to the SD-1 was in "Comp Cut" mode.

Way back, in the 90's, I had a FD II (I think or was that still I?) and that was my experience. The FD was great in the right setup, but that wasn't my setup. The good old, basic, SD-1 seems to always win out in the end when I just judge with my ears and not my eyes/wallet.

I freely accept that might just be me and my limited tonal pallet for what I do, but at the end of the day, I don't care. I might try one of the Waza's though. Interested to hear it.

If you just want to spend more, buy a vintage, made in Japan SD-1. I have owned so many modded SD-1's and the Analogman one where you can switch between the SD-1 and a TS-808 is really good, but it just didn't sound better than my MIJ SD-1.

Now, does anyone know where I can buy an $80,000 Camry? :)

Probably the best boutique 808/SD-1 pedal was from Effect Pedal Boutique. He made the OD808 Plus pedal... the early version had 25% more gain, later models had twice the gain of a stock OD808/SD-1, I preferred the one with 25% more gain.

The pedal had a three way switch for: down : OD808 symmetrical clipping, up: SD-1, middle: no diode clipping and a bass boost switch to add bass for single coil strats. In all models they did not cut as much bass than a stock SD-1. He seemed to find a nice balance on cutting of the low end not too much/not too little and that pedal has consistently beat all comers. I own two of them and I like the fact that I can go from OD808 TS mode to SD-1. They come up for sale every now and then but he closed down the company a few years ago.

I know there are a lot of boutique-y alternatives to the TS, but how about the SD-1?

Not really boutique, but I really like my MXR Wylde OD as far a tweak on the classic SD-1. Is there anything else?
I build a SD-1 clone ..... dead on clone ..... but I have unpopulated boards ... so if you know certain mods to one you are after they can be done during building . True bypass also ... no buffer in the circuit .

Attachments

• 20220809_184353.jpg
    20220809_184353.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
Back