George Lynch playing a what?

GL-Gremlin.jpg

(I think George mentioned this somewhat recently) that he really loved the PRS guitars when he used them on tour around the 90-91 era, but ESP threatened to cancel the endorsement deal if he didn't quit using them.

This PRS, and especially a blue one that he also had, almost ruined his ESP deal.

According to George, he loved the blue PRS that Paul sent him to try, and then Paul sent him PRS #001 to try too, which he liked, but not as much as the blue one. He played the PRS's too often, so ESP actually punished him by revoking his endorsement for a year.

I wonder if the other PRS that he references in the interview as "the gold one", was actually this orange one?

According to George, Paul Reed Smith sent him the guitars to try out, and he "couldn't put them down". ESP got pissed, so he sent them both back to Paul, because the ESP endorsement was too good to screw up.

Last edited:
This PRS, and especially a blue one that he also had, almost ruined his ESP deal.

According to George, he loved the blue PRS that Paul sent him to try, and then Paul sent him PRS #001 to try too, which he liked, but not as much as the blue one. He played the PRS's too often, so ESP actually punished him by revoking his endorsement for a year.

I wonder if the other PRS that he references in the interview as "the gold one", was actually this orange one?

According to George, Paul Reed Smith sent him the guitars to try out, and he "couldn't put them down". ESP got pissed, so he sent them both back to Paul, because the ESP endorsement was too good to screw up.

Damn, that's rough. While I'm sure everyone's deal is set up differently, it'd probably feel a bit shitty to have that happen when you're watching Hetfield and Hammett play whatever the fuck they want. Obviously those guys are surely moving a lot more guitars for ESP, but still.

Too bad ESP treated him that way considering he pretty much put them on the map when they were trying to be an actual brand as opposed to a parts maker. Yep others had come into the fold ala the Metallica boys by this time but the first two guys I remember with ESP's were Akira and Lynch.

(I think George mentioned this somewhat recently) that he really loved the PRS guitars when he used them on tour around the 90-91 era, but ESP threatened to cancel the endorsement deal if he didn't quit using them.

Makes sense. The guy endorses everything and plays none of it so nice to see that ESP muscle get him back in line back then! ESP makes great stuff so there was no need really to stray. They could have made him any neck profile or body.

Here he is with the blue one and Oni sounding like dogshit. Must have been out the night before and burned his voice because he is completely flat here. He had great tone in his voice though.

Can’t believe he’d play PRS while signed to ESP. That’s pretty asshole

He does that with everything though unfortunately.. was endorsed by Randall with his Lynch Box but still playing Marshalls or Parks or SLO's. At least he had the Randalls on stage with a light on I guess. Same with any of his pedal endorsements. I've tried a PRS, felt nice enough and sounded good but just looks so lame compared to an ESP. IMO of course. They don't scream Rock, they scream Santana.

He does that with everything though unfortunately.. was endorsed by Randall with his Lynch Box but still playing Marshalls or Parks or SLO's. At least he had the Randalls on stage with a light on I guess. Same with any of his pedal endorsements. I've tried a PRS, felt nice enough and sounded good but just looks so lame compared to an ESP. IMO of course. They don't scream Rock, they scream Santana.

They scream late 90s/00’s rock to me, I think half the bands on the radio then were using a PRS and a recto.

Back