Celestion G12K-100's are one of the best speakers around. Try to say I'm wrong.

MadAsAHatter

I figured out how I can squeeze another speaker cab I don't really need into my space. I'll be building a 412 cab instead of buying one. Going back through my thoughts from the recent quest to fill a different speaker cab figuring out what I want to load this one with I realized something. It all of a sudden clicked.

The Celestion G12K-100 is a phenomenal speaker; one of the best out there. It's 100 watts so it can take near anything that's thrown at it. By itself it sounds excellent. The extended lows have a good tight bass response without getting muddy. The highs have a top end sparkle that bring clarity and no icepick. Comparatively it may not have the most prominent mids but it's more than enough that you know they're there and can cut in the mix.

It tends to bring out the best in many amps. An amp that's just right, a G12K makes it sound fuller. The amp is lacking a little clarity, the G12K can give it that extra edge. Same with the lows, it can give an amp that extra push in the low end.

When by itself in it's own cab and playing with a 2nd guitar player using a different speaker, a G12K seems to know it's lane. It stays where it needs to be and is heard, but also allows the other cab to have it's voice and come through as well.

When mixed with another speaker in the same cab it always seems to play nice. With and SPL of 99 dB it won't drown out or be swallowed up by most other speakers. Its frequencies either to leave room for more mid heavy speakers to sit in well without getting garbled up or it adds a bit of something extra to an already good sound speaker. In either case the sum always seems to come out as good if not better than the parts when a G12K-100 is in the mix.

Needless to say I'll be putting a G12K-100 in the cab when I build it. I'm thinking I'll pair it with some Redbacks.

If anyone would like to refute my points and say it's a horrible speaker feel free to try. <--- My way of asking what do you think about the G12K-100's? 🙂

Some AC/DC style rock, and a good bit of 80's-90's hard rock & thrash/heavy metal. The standard hard rock/metal paring is with a V30, but are great on their own too. They can work well for classic rock stuff also, especially paired with something like a greenback or creamback.

They sound fine in the room and occasionally cool to blend when recording, but mostly they sound absolutely pants under the microphone.

Everyone sure they're not thinking of the G12T-100? Those are the one that get talked about as being dull and lifeless.

Everyone sure they're not thinking of the G12T-100? Those are the one that get talked about as being dull and lifeless.
Definitely not, the T100 is a pretty rare speaker, certainly nowhere near as common as the K100.
Have you tried a Classic Lead 80 or the forerunner the G12-80 (the 444 cone version especially)?

EDIT: I mean rare as in you don’t come across them often in pro-level gear, not that they aren’t produced in large numbers

Definitely not, the T100 is a pretty rare speaker, certainly nowhere near as common as the K100.
Have you tried a Classic Lead 80 or the forerunner the G12-80 (the 444 cone version especially)?

EDIT: I mean rare as in you don’t come across them often in pro-level gear, not that they aren’t produced in large numbers
G12-80 /444 are great. I had a ton of them over the years.

Hard, hard pass….I’ve tried to like this speaker so many times, not into it at all. Too high powered, and far too dark for recording to me anyways. Not even close.
It's a great speaker if you're blasting it through a 4x12 at ear-shattering volumes. It definitely hits like a sledgehammer.

I had great results mixing with V30's.

It’s my favorite speaker for sure. I have an old Peavey 412ms with the 85 labeled versions and it just kills. Also put them in 1x12s with great results. I play a little bit of everything from Death Metal to pop cover band stuff and play 7 strings, so the extra low end helps a lot and has a great clarity for solos. They are Johnny Hiland’s favorite speaker too..at least back in 2018 they were.

It’s my favorite speaker for sure. I have an old Peavey 412ms with the 85 labeled versions and it just kills. Also put them in 1x12s with great results. I play a little bit of everything from Death Metal to pop cover band stuff and play 7 strings, so the extra low end helps a lot and has a great clarity for solos. They are Johnny Hiland’s favorite speaker too..at least back in 2018 they were.
Damn I forgot they changed the numbers. I did actually have that same ms412 with the 85s. Definitely didn't think they were the best speaker ever. Not horrible but I found a few I like better.

Back