VH4 6L6 tube swap...Wow

• Thread starter Deleted member 23705
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23705

I've played/owned a lot of different amps, but I don't think I've ever swapped the power tubes in one for a different kind (if the amp offered the option). I always thought different types of power tubes would only slightly change an amp's overall character, if you could tell a difference at all.

Well lo and behold, I just swapped out the KT77s in my VH4 for JJ 6L6GCs and holy shit! The low-mid congestion is gone, I don't have to crank the presence or treble knobs to get the top end that I like and the overall EQ of the amp sounds exactly the way I want it. I'm shocked how much of a difference the tube swap made, honestly.

I don't know the science behind it, but I'm interested in learning why different power tube types impart different tonal characteristics. Do power tube swaps in other amps make this much of a difference? Or does it depend on the circuit?

I've played/owned a lot of different amps, but I don't think I've ever swapped the power tubes in one for a different kind (if the amp offered the option). I always thought different types of power tubes would only slightly change an amp's overall character, if you could tell a difference at all.

Well lo and behold, I just swapped out the KT77s in my VH4 for JJ 6L6GCs and holy shit! The low-mid congestion is gone, I don't have to crank the presence or treble knobs to get the top end that I like and the overall EQ of the amp sounds exactly the way I want it. I'm shocked how much of a difference the tube swap made, honestly.

I don't know the science behind it, but I'm interested in learning why different power tube types impart different tonal characteristics. Do power tube swaps in other amps make this much of a difference? Or does it depend on the circuit?
As i get older I prefer 6L6 amps as opposed to EL34 based amps, probably because I play with less distortion now.

Last edited:
I had the same experience as you. I love the term 'congestion' and found the 77's and 34's did the same for me. It was only really highlighted after I started with the 6L6's in it. Don't think I'll go back either. More bite and less wool.

I been preaching this for YEARS . I have a vh4 and a Herbert mk 1 and mk 3 . 6l6s make them beasts . My fav is 6 Mesa 6l6s in my Herbert mk 1. The way my tech biased it it hangs with my Hermanson and Wizard . I love it .

I been preaching this for YEARS . I have a vh4 and a Herbert mk 1 and mk 3 . 6l6s make them beasts . My fav is 6 Mesa 6l6s in my Herbert mk 1. The way my tech biased it it hangs with my Hermanson and Wizard . I love it .
Speaking of Herberts, it sounds like you prefer the Mk 1. Is that the one to get? I think I prefer it over the Mk 3 based on Youtube clips.

Speaking of Herberts, it sounds like you prefer the Mk 1. Is that the one to get? I think I prefer it over the Mk 3 based on Youtube clips.
I kept both . They are different. Same DNA but the mk 1 is a bit bigger sounding too me still . I still love Diezel a lot .

Good to know. I have 6L6s in my VH2, because that's how they come stock with tube shortages lately. I love the sound so doubt I'd swap to KT77, like I thought I might want to before it arrived and I tried it out.

I just snag a deal off from a member here ... The Tungsol 6l6GC STR... I wonder if it's same with wonderful experiences on the Herbert MK2 ? I also like to try it on my VH4... Been a KT88 and EL34 guy with my Fryettes.. never tried the 6l6 b4... But have tried 6l6 on my friends engl fireball 100 till know it makes me wanna getta engl savage 120...

I just snag a deal off from a member here ... The Tungsol 6l6GC STR... I wonder if it's same with wonderful experiences on the Herbert MK2 ? I also like to try it on my VH4... Been a KT88 and EL34 guy with my Fryettes.. never tried the 6l6 b4... But have tried 6l6 on my friends engl fireball 100 till know it makes me wanna getta engl savage 120...
I been telling you to get 6l6s!

I been telling you to get 6l6s!
Thanks Techdeth... I read ya loud and clear and that triggers me to get it... Didn't see ya in the last two Fryette malcontent ? I just hope someday Stevie could do a session with Peter Diezel... Remember they were drinking buddies... Much as I have both their tone creation!!

Thanks Techdeth... I read ya loud and clear and that triggers me to get it... Didn't see ya in the last two Fryette malcontent ? I just hope someday Stevie could do a session with Peter Diezel... Remember they were drinking buddies... Much as I have both their tone creation!!
Ya I totally forgot about that Saturday. Damn .i hope they do have Peter on !ilk be there next time !

Preaching it for years over here too,
I’ve been mainly a 6L6 guy with the VH4 and could never stand the congestion in the low mids of the JJ KT77.
The short Tung Sol 6L6s are great in the VH4,
Very clear tube, perhaps a bit lean in the lows but really solid.
My all time favourites are
VH4 - new Red Base 6L6 ,the JJ 6L6 and GL KT77.
Herbert MK1 - EL34 BSTR - this tube fits the MK1 perfectly, GL KT77 also super, more aggressive.
Schmidt- GL KT77 hands down.

The only tube that I like in them all is the GL KT77 a stellar tube , heads and shoulders above the JJ version.

Preaching it for years over here too,
I’ve been mainly a 6L6 guy with the VH4 and could never stand the congestion in the low mids of the JJ KT77.
The short Tung Sol 6L6s are great in the VH4,
Very clear tube, perhaps a bit lean in the lows but really solid.
My all time favourites are
VH4 - new Red Base 6L6 ,the JJ 6L6 and GL KT77.
Herbert MK1 - EL34 BSTR - this tube fits the MK1 perfectly, GL KT77 also super, more aggressive.
Schmidt- GL KT77 hands down.

The only tube that I like in them all is the GL KT77 a stellar tube , heads and shoulders above the JJ version.
6l6 mesas in the Herbert’s !

Back