Main differences between Marshall 1959 and 2203

I know most of those and they’re cool. But I’m saying user/regular people clips. Want to figure out what I’m doing wrong
Did I send you my clip of my 72? Can’t recall.
It was really just a day I spent experimenting with my boost pedals. One, then stacking 2. Sounded cool but not mind blowing. Then after trying some nice and spendy pedals (VFE, Thorpy) I tried a cheap Joyo Ultimate Drive and my OD1X. That was the combo…30 bucks for the Joyo and 70 used for the ODX years ago. Everything set to noon on both pedals. My amp also has the Lemco 5K bright cap…very important to my amp as I tried lifting one leg, and different values but they all neutered the amp somewhat.

Did I send you my clip of my 72? Can’t recall.
It was really just a day I spent experimenting with my boost pedals. One, then stacking 2. Sounded cool but not mind blowing. Then after trying some nice and spendy pedals (VFE, Thorpy) I tried a cheap Joyo Ultimate Drive and my OD1X. That was the combo…30 bucks for the Joyo and 70 used for the ODX years ago. Everything set to noon on both pedals. My amp also has the Lemco 5K bright cap…very important to my amp as I tried lifting one leg, and different values but they all neutered the amp somewhat.

You sent me a pretty quick one but that was quite some time ago I think. Not even sure what amp it was

I've also read where boosting a NMV Marshall can take it up to 200, even 300 watts. Not sure if that's true but it's out there.

Can anyone point me towards a good high gain, hard rock / metal 1959 clip? Not Van Halen ? I want to see how they're dialing it in cause maybe I'm just not doing it right.
Fairly sure he used his 1976 Marshall Superbass that was converted to Superlead specs on most of the early stuff. I don't know when he started using other amps on albums blended with the Superlead.

I found this post about it:

• Members
Posted August 2, 2008

Im not a Tool fan, but I have always heard the first album was only the Superbass. The second album he added a Dual Recto, and the 3rd he added the Deizels...

Opiate and Undertow were all Superbass.

Aenima started out as a Superbass and a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but Adam wasn't happy with the mix. Billy Howerdel, guitar tech at the time for Tool, makes a phone call to Uwe Salwender in the middle of the night and Uwe brings over a Diezel VH4. The Diezel VH4 was in the mix as well.

Lateralus was a Diezel VH4, the Superbass and a Sunn Beta Lead.

10,000 Days .. I have no idea. I stopped following what he was using here because I didn't really like the album. The guitars sound good though.

Last edited:
Fairly sure he used his 1976 Marshall Superbass that was converted to Superlead specs on most of the early stuff. I don't know when he started using other amps on albums blended with the Superlead.

I found this post about it:

• Members
Posted August 2, 2008

Im not a Tool fan, but I have always heard the first album was only the Superbass. The second album he added a Dual Recto, and the 3rd he added the Deizels...

Opiate and Undertow were all Superbass.

Aenima started out as a Superbass and a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but Adam wasn't happy with the mix. Billy Howerdel, guitar tech at the time for Tool, makes a phone call to Uwe Salwender in the middle of the night and Uwe brings over a Diezel VH4. The Diezel VH4 was in the mix as well.

Lateralus was a Diezel VH4, the Superbass and a Sunn Beta Lead.

10,000 Days .. I have no idea. I stopped following what he was using here because I didn't really like the album. The guitars sound good though.

You bring up a really good point, especially considering Ive always been into Tool

Not true, you’ll go into power tube compression earlier but your total power is limited by the power transformer and the efficiency of the output transformer.

Correct. A boost will cause more distortion, but won't make anything louder in the amp. This is why I'm very doubtful about volume differences in the 2203 and 1959, if they're both healthy. They have identical power sections. Maybe the preamp of the 2203 puts out a bit less with the clippers in it, but not much. I can't imagine you could discern this with the ear. Really, you can't hear the difference in volume of the 50W and 100W so much as the difference in tone from them both being boosted. That 3db difference is barely discernible to the human ear: you can get a bigger volume shift by changing speak efficiencies.

You bring up a really good point, especially considering Ive always been into Tool
If you search the threads Dave Friedman talks about the amp and that it is all stock with the bright and normal input jacks jumpered internally with EL34 tubes, I can't recall what kind. Dave Friedman has worked on this very amp in the past.

Can anyone point me towards a good high gain, hard rock / metal 1959 clip? Not Van Halen ? I want to see how they're dialing it in cause maybe I'm just not doing it right.
Here is my ‘69 just straight in. No pedals. Just some mods to the power supply and bright cap. Recorded a long time ago. Was just figuring out how to change audio in a video.

As per Harddriver's post was saying here's a link to some old discussions. Post #3 and #11 in particular

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/question-about-adam-jones-super-bass.80694/

This is the thread about when he first used the VH4. From the horses mouth. Post #2

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/peter-how-did-adam-jones-end-up-with-diezel.76837/

Don't talk Tool for too long or you'll summon the haters pretty quick :poke:

Back to the Marshall discussion :p

Last edited:
Back