2203 vs 2203X value? Cork sniffer value?

savant421

I currently own a wheat faced 2203 serial T27745 and I own a "tags still hanging on it" 2203X reissue. My question is, is there any value in owning an unmolested 2203 original vs a 2203x reissue? Playing them side by side, same guitar, same cab, I think I actually prefer the 2203x slightly. The OG 2203 seems a little bit wolly-er, slightly rounder/looser where the 2203x sounds sharper, clearer, more precise. 2203 OG is running 6550s and 2203X is running EL34s but that's just a bias/resistor change.

Another point I'll add is the 2203x seems to respond to the drop in LT HotMod WAY better than the 2203 OG. Not sure why? but....ears don't lie

Anywho, just wanted to see what everyone thinks. Cork sniffers be damned

Last edited:
2203x’s sound great to me, and I’d much rather people mod those than butchering the old ones up. How old are the filter caps in the old one? Fresh caps can make the amp feel tighter/more responsive.
Tbh, I have no idea how old they are. I'm assuming they are original. Speaking of mods, I was thinking about sending the OG to Ground Zero for a MOAB mod

Another thing, is T puts your 2203 at 1985 I think?

Do you have photos of the chassis? How many of the big blue filter can caps does it have? During the 80’s Marshall cut them out more and more, so the later 2203’s sound a bit more flat and limp compared to the older ones.

Any decent tech can mod the amp to have the original spec, it’s well worth it on those amps. The original caps are probably dried out by now and should be replaced anyway.

This video should demonstrate the differences

I have a SIR #34 mod in my 83 2203. Easily reversible, no holes in chassis.
I often think of sending to Friedman or Jeremy after his vid. Already have 2 Monomyth Superleads, so would be looking for a differnt flavor.
Just can't bring myself to it yet. If ever it would have to be no holes and reversible I guess.
Still crushes with a Jam Ray to boost. The Hot Mod is OK. Not mind blowing not horrible.

Another thing, is T puts your 2203 at 1985 I think?

Do you have photos of the chassis? How many of the big blue filter can caps does it have? During the 80’s Marshall cut them out more and more, so the later 2203’s sound a bit more flat and limp compared to the older ones.

Any decent tech can mod the amp to have the original spec, it’s well worth it on those amps. The original caps are probably dried out by now and should be replaced anyway.

This video should demonstrate the differences

Chassis photos. Bias is clearly meant for 6550s. Tried EL34s and couldn't even get them into range

Attachments

• 20220811_162339.jpg
    20220811_162339.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220811_162335.jpg
    20220811_162335.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220811_162330.jpg
    20220811_162330.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220811_162325.jpg
    20220811_162325.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 30
The 2203X stock amps I’ve tried have seemed kinda flat/sterile compared to the original versions. That said I had an 86 2203 that had the same filtering as yours and it was also kinda meh. The X versions have the earlier filtering from what I remember. I would check the can caps in the 85 and consider changing them if possible. Might make a big difference, might not.
Either way keep the better one stock, maybe send the other out for a mod?

The 2203X stock amps I’ve tried have seemed kinda flat/sterile compared to the original versions. That said I had an 86 2203 that had the same filtering as yours and it was also kinda meh. The X versions have the earlier filtering from what I remember. I would check the can caps in the 85 and consider changing them if possible. Might make a big difference, might not.
Either way keep the better one stock, maybe send the other out for a mod?
Exactly what I was thinking

Chassis photos. Bias is clearly meant for 6550s. Tried EL34s and couldn't even get them into range
Thanks for posting these!

So yeah - this has less filter caps than the original 2203 circuit. Notice how this one has 6?

E702A8D8-1538-4455-95DA-24A0B2EA6F70.jpeg

These days capacitors can be made to a much higher standard (and also smaller) than what they used back then so you can easily tuck the extra ones in inside. It’s just absolutely worth having it modded to this spec first.

People are always quick to talk about specific valves or transformers etc but the circuit is always going to be the biggest factor.

The amp still looks very original so I think a small service and doing the caps will go a long way. There’s plenty of small unobtrusive mods where you just tweak cathode bypass caps, plate resistors etc where you can squeeze a bit more juice out of them.

FWIW here’s my tech doing those kind of tweaks to a 2203x. Pretty much stock besides a few value changes:

Thanks for posting these!

So yeah - this has less filter caps than the original 2203 circuit. Notice how this one has 6?

View attachment 130747

These days capacitors can be made to a much higher standard (and also smaller) than what they used back then so you can easily tuck the extra ones in inside. It’s just absolutely worth having it modded to this spec first.

People are always quick to talk about specific valves or transformers etc but the circuit is always going to be the biggest factor.

The amp still looks very original so I think a small service and doing the caps will go a long way. There’s plenty of small unobtrusive mods where you just tweak cathode bypass caps, plate resistors etc where you can squeeze a bit more juice out of them.

FWIW here’s my tech doing those kind of tweaks to a 2203x. Pretty much stock besides a few value changes:

Ty for all ur help

Cap job completed. Noticeably louder, fuller but still SLIGHTLY prefer the 2203x but it's much closer now

Attachments

• 20220812_213733.jpg
    20220812_213733.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220812_213729.jpg
    20220812_213729.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 20
Haha my tech is me! ;)
Went like for like. JJ Electronics 500VAC 50uf. Still on 6550s
Ha well that’s handy :) Glad it’s sounding better already.

If you can, try and match the filtering of the original 2203 circuit (with 6 capacitors). It really makes those amps come alive.

If you can, try and match the filtering of the original 2203 circuit (with 6 capacitors). It really makes those amps come alive.
Absolutely!
I bet if matched with 6 caps, the original will sound better than the X and more ‘full’ / meat than the more shrill X…
Personally, I find the 2203X too bright and brittle for my taste. But, if you post two clips, 90% will choose the brighter one as their fav…

So your talking about adding 3 more caps? What would the wiring look like?

Just wanted to chime in and say that I also preferred the 2203X I have to an 83' 2203 I had for a bit, for all the reasons you mentioned in the OP.

Back