Vai Academy/Vai jam

dstroud

So last weekend I attended Vai Academy, man those are fun!! Got to spend 4 days attending clinics/jams with Vai, Guthrie Govan, Nuno Bettencourt, Yvette Young, Tommy Emanuel, Billy Sheehan and more. These are also a real kick in the pants too at inspiring you to take your playing to whatever your next level is, just good all around! Also a hilight is everyone gets the opportunity to jam with Vai and his band. You just walk up with a riff and see what happens! Here’s my jam, you can see how loose it starts and then develops. It’s an awesome experience!

Really next level bucket list stuff.

You did this a few years back if not mistaken…. Cutting fuckin heads with StVai. :rawk:

Dude... :worship::clap::rock:

btw, I notice in all those vids how Vai is never trying to outplay anyone. Instead, he's always making some kind of a counterpoint. Great

absolutely!!! I’ve seen beginners up there just playing 1 note and the band builds a beautiful song around it, its very cool

What an experience! Have to go sometime! It’s one of the things that I have wanted to do.

Much congrats D and thx for sharing!

Dude... :worship::clap::rock:

btw, I notice in all those vids how Vai is never trying to outplay anyone. Instead, he's always making some kind of a counterpoint. Great guy.

Totally! He seems to care more about giving people an experience and allowing the best to come out without seeming bored or annoyed etc. Great job Darren. You also caught his queues and played well off him. Can you imagine this sort of event with YJM lol?? He would essentially play the whole song.

Last edited:
Dstroud is the man! :worship: I would have locked up just talking to Vai.
oh man Vai is actually really laid back at these. talks very candidly and really actually gives lots of life advice based on his experiences on how to just be a happy person

Totally! He seems to care more about giving people an experience and allowing the best to come out without seeming bored or annoyed etc. Great job Darren. You also caught his queues and played well off him. Can you imagine this sort of event with YJM lol?? He would essentially play the whole song.
this exactly!! Vai is all about giving a person an awesome experience

Damn man... that's really cool! And with all due respect to The Man Mr. Vai..... I enjoyed how your tone was actually far better than his here.

Damn man... that's really cool! And with all due respect to The Man Mr. Vai..... I enjoyed how your tone was actually far better than his here.
oh wow thanks man! I was playing through a DSL that I think is Nuno Bettencourt’s. I was enjoying the tone myself!

Back