Anyone done a choke mod on the EVH 5150 III

endofall

I know this was a really popular thing to do on the peavey editions but it doesn’t seem like people are doing it to the EVH models. So has anyone tried it? If so did you gain anything

After biasing it and rolling some preamp tubes through it, I can get a decent range from the red, it’s usable from off to about 12 o’clock. Still curious about the choke thing though.

Choke will provide more separation between thump notes and bar chord notes, think exclamation point on the spacing of the notes of a good low E chug. It will emphasize the thump part.

I did the mod on my 5150 II and that’s what it provided to my ears.

I didn’t care for the copious amounts of gain on the red channel. And the noise. Past 2 it would just compress and get thinner.

I put a 5751 in V4. Now the gain dial at noon is the same as it was before at 2. Much better tone. The tube was picked for low noise.

1660652807418.jpeg

I didn’t care for the copious amounts of gain on the red channel. And the noise. Past 2 it would just compress and get thinner.

I put a 5751 in V4. Now the gain dial at noon is the same as it was before at 2. Much better tone. The tube was picked for low noise.

View attachment 131359
Why V4, sorry not familiar with the EVHIII format.

My understanding and I could be incorrect but V1 is for all three channels. V4 is just red channel. I tried both positions and V4 seemed to keep the green and red channel the same.
I sought out a low noise 5751. Seemed to do the trick. YMMV.

Replacing the resistor with a choke basically just tightens up the response. The 5153 response is already tighter than the Peaveys were, so it probably isnt needed.

Does the choke mod create a pop when turning the amp on like the old 5150’s did?
That’s due to the shit location of the standby switch in the original 5150s. There’s a mod floating around that moves the original standby to a proper location. You can fix the pop by placing a 2kv small cap across the standby switch as a simple fix which was my solution.

That’s due to the shit location of the standby switch in the original 5150s. There’s a mod floating around that moves the original standby to a proper location. You can fix the pop by placing a 2kv small cap across the standby switch as a simple fix which was my solution.
Thanks, so there is no noise issue doing it to a new one?

Thanks, so there is no noise issue doing it to a new one?
Haven’t done one to a new one or haven’t looked at a schematic of one to know if it would be an issue. If you have a schematic PM me and I can tell you ahead of time before you install if it will be a problem

You could probably look at the gain stages exclusive to CH3 and drop the plate resistors on those stages to get more reasonable gain. I remember my 50 watter had a cartoonish amount of gain on CH3 so I only ever used CH2. And even on that channel I think the gain was below noon.

Back