Famous Rock Star that you regretted dying most

Criss Oliva, he had so much more to do. Such excellent feel, too.

Midnight from Crimson Glory. Possibly the greatest post-kiske metal vocalist.

Jon Notdveit. I know he thought he accomplished everything he wanted to, but god damn, that Reinkaos record is the definition of a "grower."

As far as hate, dime and layne stayley are up there. Dime ran out of good ideas in like 1990, and Layne was your standard issue junkie musician. He just happened to sing in the right band at the right time.

Bon Scott and Freddie, also Gary Moore. Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gains (respect to Cassie). Would have been fantastic to see what Randy would have done too. The ones who died with more to give hit the hardest. Some are sad but also lived a fairly long life and had a full career. Some died early but their best stuff was well behind them. Every time I hear Cornell sing I feel we got robbed.

Last edited:
Even though he's alive, I still remember how I felt reading the interview in GFTPM when Jason Becker announced that he had ALS. I'm so happy for him that he is still alive and is still recording, but it's still terribly sad to see such a virtuoso guitarist struck down so young.

I don’t know about the “most” but as a Canadian gotta put Gord Downie on the list. The entire country watched his farewell concert in tears as it was nationally broadcast
that was pretty gut wrenching. my sister is a big fan of them. i've seen them live in canada... dude, they're fucking gods in canada :LOL:

Out of everybody I regret Hendrix in retrospect the most. I can only imagine what more he would have done if he had lived. Dime's murder was rough...I'm a huge fan....Eddie bummed me out pretty good as well. Sad thread is....sad....:cry:

Reactions: Geo
Not Rockstars but for me it would be Lenny Breau and Jaco. I would have liked to see what they could have done if they had turned their lives around.

I would say EVH but I think he was done making original music long before he passed.

And I know Sly Stone is not dead but he may as well be - wish he would have gotten his life together and created more killer music

Randy. Only playing guitar about a year and had been trying to learn stuff off Blizzard. I got the chance to see him in Jan ‘82. Got right down front and was blown away. They were coming back around and was looking forward to getting tickets.

EVH for me, for whatever reason - just hit me hard. Criss Oliva as well.
I was late to the party on Randy, so I find his loss tragic, but less "personal" to me

Reactions: Geo
Hanneman. Probably because I got heavily into Slayer when they were still relatively unknown and so I watched them climb to the top of the metal heap. From afar, of course, as I've no personal connection with them but pretty much every other musician that I've admired that's also passed away, were mostly famous by the time I became a fan.

Very similar experience here ( but in NJ at the time). I must have been a soph or Jr in HS and all the metal heads (A Lot) were in mourning for a while.

Attachments

• 20160612_135653.jpg
    20160612_135653.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
Prince. It took years of maturing as a musician to even begin to comprehend what he accomplished through his career, and to see someone authentically talented on that level having real commercial success; I doubt I'll see that happen in my lifetime again.

It was Prince for me too brother.

I predicted both his and MJ's success back in the late '70s. Said they were gonna be the biggest solo artists ever. Followed both careers closely. MJ's death didn't really surprise me 'cause I knew he was really-unhappy and on the meds, but Prince? That was a shock.

Back