What was your first rig? and first real rig?

MadAsAHatter

Just thinking back to where it all started and going to friends houses to jam with our pawn shop guitars and "bad ass" practice amps....

Edit: the tl;dr version.
First practice setup = Peavey Blazer then Peavey Studio Chorus 210 with Mexican Squier Strat
First rig = Crate GT3500 Shockwave head and matching 412 cab & '94 Ibanez Iceman IC300.
First real rig = Crate Blue Voodoo 300 head and matching full stack (2-412's) with the Iceman guitar.

I initially started out learning with a Mexican Squier Strat when they were first hitting the market and dirt cheap. I played through a little Peavey Blazer practice amp. In my small circle I was the first to upgrade past a practice amp and bought a Peavey Studio Chorus 210. Which was great for all of a few weeks until my friends upgraded, but all bought half stacks. My 210 combo got me by well enough for a number of years but couldn't really hold a candle to the half stacks when they were cranked (which was most of the time). For the 80's/90's heavy metal we played the Peavey was more of an oversized practice amp than a real setup. I forget what happened to the Blazer. I think I left it at someone's house and it walked off. The 210 I converted to a head and gave it to a drummer friend who was wanting to mess around on guitar.

Sometime around a year after starting to play I bought a '94 Ibanez Iceman and that was my main guitar for a long long time. I upgraded the pickups sometime along the way, but that was about it. In fact this one & the Mexican strat were my only guitars until around 2004 when I starting building my own guitars. I'm a bit overloaded with guitars now having built at least one a year since '04 plus buying a small handful of production guitars.

I think I was about 5 or so years into using the Peavey until I finally saved up enough to get something better. Ended up getting a Crate GT3500 shockwave head & matching cab. It didn't sound horrible like most of the other Crate amps at the time. Tone wise it couldn't compare to the Recto half stacks some friends had and I would get lost in the mix at times, but at least I could finally keep up in volume. The friend I jammed with most of the time had a Peavey Transtube half stack so my setup was mostly comparable to that & I was happy. Played through that for a couple of years. It's in the back of the closet but I still have that amp today.

It had to have been around 06 when Crate was fully starting to crap out as a company and discontinuing a bunch of their lines. People were more than happy to dump anything with the Crate logo for dirt cheap. I ended up with a Blue Voodoo 300 full stack (2-412's not the 215's) and a Blue Voodoo 150 as a backup head. I think I paid all of $600 for everything. The Voodoo 300's & 150's aren't the best sounding amps on the planet but I was able to dial in some convincing plexi tones. And for all the times I was drowned out or buried in the mix I cold finally have my revenge. 300 tube watts can pump out some sound and on a few occasions I let everyone know it. I'd crank the volume to a little over half way and virtually drown out a full 5 piece band including a loud as hell metal drummer.

I've moved on to acquiring much better amps, but played on that setup for at least a decade if not a little longer. Nowadays it's my Naylor, KSR, Peters & ENGLs that get the most play time. I still have the Voodoo 300 & 150 and still play through them on occasion. I actually revamped the 150 with a new blue colored snakeskin covering not too long ago. With the fresh look it's gotten a little more play time than usual. The Peaveys got me through what I needed but I don't think I'd consider them more than starter practice amps. I'd say the GT3500 was my first rig and the Blue Voodoo was my first real rig.

What was your first rig? And what you'd consider your first real Rig?

Last edited:
Started with a red Dixon hardtail strat kind of thing, 3 singles, bolt on... Through a gorilla 10" combo.

First real rig was a tele and a chibson lpc through a jcm 900 model 4500 half stack.

First rig was a 70's Marshall JMP 50Watt combo, '79 Ibanez Paul Stanley Iceman, DOD OD250 pedal. This was all late 70's timeframe. Edit: scratch the Iceman, that came second...I forget my first real guitar was a Gibson Marauder.

2nd rig i.e. real rig was a 70's Marshall JMP 50Watt Head, Marshall 4x12, Kramer Pacer (s), DOD OD250, Boss OD1, Memory Man and Small Clone. The two EHX pieces being replaced by a Boss DM2 and Boss Ce-2 later on. Kept that rig for awhile.

Last edited:
First rig: Harmony Strat and a silverface Champ.
First real rig: Ibanez RG550 and a red knob Dual Showman halfstack.
Traded the Champ for a Champ 12 in 1987 (bad move). Traded that for a 1992 Peavey Bandit, which my kids still use.

Hondo II LP copy into a Marlboro practice amp with an EH Muff Fuzz pedal.

After a year upgraded to a Guild X-79 and a Yamaha G-100-210 combo with an EH Hot Tubes pedal. That Yamaha amp with the Hot Tubes was pretty good sounding, wouldn’t mind having another.

I had a First Act strat copy along with the little amp that comes with it. First "real rig" was a Bugera 6260 half stack and Ibanez 7321.

First real guitar and amp - NJ Series BC Rich Bich, Peavey Bandit 112

First decent rig - Gibson U2, Peavey Butcher half stack.

Entry: Samick Strat & 10" solid state combo. I don't remember hating it. My first real guitar is a LP Studio (which I still have) and first real rig, I coerced my Uncle into spending money he saved for me to go to college on a Marshall DSL100 half stack. He is a great man.

As we were behind the iron curtain, when we started to play, we had quite tough times. We started with some small mix, PA amp and cabs for vocalists :). Later we bought Tesla combos, which were relatively affordable. That guitar one was quite good, but the bass one was horrible. I played bass that time and I was not able to hear myself at all.

teslaguit.jpgTeslaB100-115.jpg

Later I built 50W JCM800 clone for my guitarist and 100W tube bass amp for me, so it was a bit better. After fall of the iron curtain in 1989 situation started to change slowly and later were able at least to borrow some Marshalls for gigging.

But I will always remember the first real rig I have played. We gigged with S.D.I. during their Czechoslovakian tour and I played Reinhard's Marshall bass full-stack (I believe it was Silver Jubilee). I felt like I was going to be swept down to the mosh pit with each note played :)

Marshall VS100H and grey carpet covered Randall 4x12 with Jaguars. That was my first "half stack". I bought the VS100H brand new when they came out.

First rig was a 70s Silverface Bassman and giant 2x12 with pedals; Arbor LP copy followed by an Ibanez Destroyer II.
This was my first gig rig in HS and after. Then, graduated to a mini rack with a Mosvalve power amp, Digitech GSP 21, Hughes n Kettner 412 with an Ibanez RG500 and a Hamer USA Centaura. Added an ADA MP1 a bit later.

Hondo II LP copy into a Marlboro practice amp with an EH Muff Fuzz pedal.

After a year upgraded to a Guild X-79 and a Yamaha G-100-210 combo with an EH Hot Tubes pedal. That Yamaha amp with the Hot Tubes was pretty good sounding, wouldn’t mind having another.
Some of those Hondo LPs were cool as fuvk

My first real rig was when I bought a new TSL 100 and some Fender Cab covered in black carpet . I still have the TSL and use it some

Entry: Samick Strat & 10" solid state combo. I don't remember hating it. My first real guitar is a LP Studio (which I still have) and first real rig, I coerced my Uncle into spending money he saved for me to go to college on a Marshall DSL100 half stack. He is a great man.
I had a Samick Strat as well

Electra Futura ( I still have it ) and a Peavey Encore 65. I didn’t know anything about tube amps so when it quit working I bought another amp. My Dad ended up throwing the Peavey in the garbage after I moved out.

Back