Ahhhhh the local Craigslist ads ...............

I own a 1992 blue vinyl Marshall 6101 1x12 combo amp and have played through the Marshall 6100 amp heads. They're good amps! If it's the black vinyl version, it will have the 5881 power tubes in it. It's hard to tell from that picture so I'm not sure. The sale price on that amp is ridiculous though even if it has the original footswitch & factory box. Any one else care to comment on that amp?

Guitar George

Pretty good heads, ‘if’ they’re the EL34 model, but the are a freaking NIGHTMARE to work on and yes, this price is way high, in my opinion…
I would take a good stock 800 2203 with a boost way ahead of this.

I own a 1992 blue vinyl Marshall 6101 1x12 combo amp and have played through the Marshall 6100 amp heads. They're good amps! If it's the black vinyl version, it will have the 5881 power tubes in it. It's hard to tell from that picture so I'm not sure. The sale price on that amp is ridiculous though even if it has the original footswitch & factory box. Any one else care to comment on that amp?

Guitar George
No. Some of the EL34 loaded models had black tolex.

So basically, the blue tolex models all had EL34s. When they originally switched to black tolex, they were still using EL34s. These were the 6100 30th Anniversary models, not the 6100 LM models.

And yes, they were a nightmare to work on. Mine suffered a catastrophic meltdown. Some caps let go, and took out a couple of ICs with them. My local authorized Marshall repair shop had the amp for over a year, waiting for parts from Marshall. After waiting a year and paying $750 to get that thing repaired, I never wanted to see it again and ended up selling it.

Last edited:
Any album you know recorded with these ? I know Carcass mixed one with a 5150 on Heartwork . But that’s it
No idea. But, I don’t keep track of who recorded with what amp unless it’s a tone I’m curious about.
I’ve come to the conclusion that a good sound engineer can make a Crate sound amazing on a record; so I don’t put much stock into rating an amp based on who used it to record anything. How does it sound in the room? Is the most important thing to me anyway.
Not that you’re suggesting anything mind you…..just a talking point is all.

No idea. But, I don’t keep track of who recorded with what amp unless it’s a tone I’m curious about.
I’ve come to the conclusion that a good sound engineer can make a Crate sound amazing on a record; so I don’t put much stock into rating an amp based on who used it to record anything. How does it sound in the room? Is the most important thing to me anyway.
Not that you’re suggesting anything mind you…..just a talking point is all.

Crates sound so good

2017-11-27.jpg

The 1992 blue vinyl Marshall 6100 100 watt amp head, 6960A angled 4x12 cab, and 6960B straight 4x12 cab which belongs to my friend. Both cabs contain the Celestion G12T-75 speakers. The 1992 blue vinyl Marshall 6101 combo amp & 1912 1x12 closed back cab ( does not have "Anniversary" on the bottom left badge like the original 6912 1x12 cab) on the right belongs to me and I've owned since 1993. I bought the blue vinyl 1912 cab from Guitar Center in New York in 1993. I've never seen another one like it since. The 6101 combo amp has an EV12L speaker and the 1912 cab contains a Celestion G12B-150 speaker.

Guitar George

Back