Question for Norlins Era Les Paul Fans

Anxiety Serum

So two guitars that real give me GAS are the 1978 Les Paul 25/50 and recently the 1977 Artisan. I've just always been a fan of the LP Customs (Head stock details ect.), but prefer to see wood grain vs solid black/ect. (hence my own Vivian Campbell model that's more trans black). Those recent Wino ones on the RT do look killer too, but I just dig the browns below.

Prices are too high now, but if they ever normalize, I was wondering: Has anyone ever played either of these two? Anything particular I should know about them that might take them off of my GAS list (i.e. bad reviews of these models ect.)?

Two stock pics below just for reference of the models. The anniversary has an extra switch near the knobs and the 77 has the three pickups. Other than that is there any construction variances/build quality issues worth being aware off?

1660756535393.png

1660757453873.png

I had two 25/50 a couple of years ago. Cool guitars for sure but ultimately for me, the body shape of a LPC is too uncomfortable for me

not sure if the tailpiece on the 25/50 is stock but most I have seen(norlin's) guys put those on them. Most that I have seen and played have maple necks and are boat anchors. But they sound fuckin awesome. Have a buddy who has a custom from that era that is solid maple...the inlays and I believe the binding is all black as well. Another buddy has an all natural standard...like the old raw power editions...it's all maple as well I believe. Bodies could be mahogany-everything else is maple though. Can't remember for sure. Bodies seem to be flatter as well. Not sure if that helps. Just be aware you might be getting a maple neck on them....

Just be aware you might be getting a maple neck on them....
Not sure what the difference is supposed to be in Maple vs Mahogany, but my Vivian is a 5 piece maple/walnut and I love it.
Got a 2018 Standard with mahogany neck. Not clue if its the neck or other features, but I love the sound and feel of the Vivian. (but its also non-chambered vs chambered, bigger neck shape ect.).

Not sure what the difference is supposed to be in Maple vs Mahogany, but my Vivian is a 5 piece maple/walnut and I love it.
Got a 2018 Standard with mahogany neck. Not clue if its the neck or other features, but I love the sound and feel of the Vivian. (but its also non-chambered vs chambered, bigger neck shape ect.).
they fuckin rip dude. maple necks FTW. if you get one you will see....

I played one of those 25/50 back around 98 and have been in love since. The easiest playing Les Paul I’ve ever touched. I kick myself for not spending my student loan on it lol. I think it was like $1200cdn

I played one of those 25/50 back around 98 and have been in love since. The easiest playing Les Paul I’ve ever touched. I kick myself for not spending my student loan on it lol. I think it was like $1200cdn
Damn that still only $2500 with inflation...less than half off today's prices.

I had a 79 2 pickup Artisan and it was an incredible sounding guitar. I didn't like the low frets and couldn't see refretting it since I knew it was kind of collectors guitar so I flipped it for a pretty decent profit. Hindsight tells me I'm a fuckin' moron and should've just refretted it.

Back