Rack cases

alund

Now that I have acquired rack gear over time, I need a equipment rack case. Gator? Skb? ATA? My problem with custom design is that the gear is always changing right? So I think I would need generic. And since I need at least 14 single space slots; would one get 2 smaller roller cases like a suitcase with pull handle. Or one of those big caster wheeled ones knowing the thing would be about 100 lbs or more. Does one worry about heat within the rack? Other thoughts as well welcomed. I do local stuff about 5x per year.

I would try to break up he rack cases as much as you can if you plan to move it a lot. This is coming from someone with a big home rack that I wouldn’t dream of moving.

I have had good luck with the skb cases for my bass rack rig. I had two 6u cases, down to just 1 and it’s manageable. Two 8us would do what you want.

I would try to break up he rack cases as much as you can if you plan to move it a lot. This is coming from someone with a big home rack that I wouldn’t dream of moving.

I have had good luck with the skb cases for my bass rack rig. I had two 6u cases, down to just 1 and it’s manageable. Two 8us would do what you want.
I can second this ..............

I have done both the refrigerator setup and several smaller ones.
I would never build a refrigerator rig again unless I was never gonna move it. Ever.
Spend the bux to buy the best rack you can afford,especially if you plan to move it regularly.
"Buy once,cry once." This would be a great idea...but it doesn't work with racks.
Because racks are always evolving. Newer/better/rarer gear comes and goes.
Suddenly the fancy Mesa Boogie shock absorbed 12 space rack you spent a whole paycheck on isn't enough.
FUCK!!! I wanted to add just one more piece and now I gotta decide what to take out to make room for it.

Picked up an SKB 12 space for my HH amp and 3 fx units; weighs about 85lbs but it has rollers and a handle. Works great

Do you gig with it? Is it going to move? I reccomend flight cases if you gig, but might just reccomend a bunch of table top stands if it's just for the studio.

Look for Mesa Sus-4 rack, great racks.
So THATS what the call them now!!

I've been looking for Boogie shock-racks for ever, and when you find one, they want a million dollars.

I have a 16space...but with the older suspension. I love it so much. I've had it since 94. I want every one I can find.

PXL_20210627_041634458.jpg

Love mine. Not a rack only unit but works awesome. Of course, i need one more space..... To fit another power amp to go WDW with my Axe 3.

So THATS what the call them now!!

I've been looking for Boogie shock-racks for ever, and when you find one, they want a million dollars.

I have a 16space...but with the older suspension. I love it so much. I've had it since 94. I want every one I can find.
I bought two 8 spaces in the last year and I’ve had a 20 space forever. Awesome racks.

big racks suuuuuuuck for gigging frequently but look awesome. my setup is two 6u skb shallow racks. I had a big 10u road case for awhile but that shit even at just 10 spaces was absurd to move around. great if your venue has ramps but when you hit some weird upstairs bar… oof. big cabinets are lightweight compared to loaded down racks.

Look for Mesa Sus-4 rack, great racks.
8 space rack.JPG

I have an 8 space Mesa Boogie SUS-4 shock rack that I'm considering selling. Unless you're local to me, shipping the rack case will not be cheap. PM me, if you're interested.

Guitar George

Attachments

• DSCF0311.JPG
    DSCF0311.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
As someone who has been doing the rack thing forever I would do max you can carry(8 space is comfortable) and do the split rack method. The OLD skb shock racks(the one with metal cable coil supports) are very sturdy if you can find one and they're much lighter than some others. They're great for cooling too.

Back