Creamback 75's

I’m curious as well. I’m loving those in Zen’s vids. They’ve got a cool saturation and ripping mids.

The IR with these in a Zilla 2x12 default on my Fractal is my favorite one. Would love to try them in person.

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I don’t like them at all. They have that hollow midrange that all the H magnet Celestion’s have, too smooth for my taste, yet at the same time quite bright. I hated them mixed with V30’s in my Kerry Wright cab. I’d say try first if possible. For higher powered speakers I’ve preferred Fane’s or JBL’s on bottom for power/beef and more toneful lower powered speakers on top for a more complete sound. They do have good chunk though, I’ll give them that, but other high powered speakers still imo have that even better, much better in the case of JBL’s and higher powered Fane’s

I can’t stand them myself. Tried them alone in 2x12’s and ported 1x12’s…….as well as mixed in 4x12’s. I’m not a G12H fan at all really, but I preferred the 30 watt Anny and the 75hz Heritage.

I find the Creambacks bright, thin, and abrasive. What’s odd is that the 65 watt Creambacks are polar opposite…..dark and bland. I would much rather use well broken in V30’s. I’m a Greenback guy FWIW.

I think they have a bright character to the high end but yet somehow lacking sparkle/sizzle. And they have a lot of bottom end.

So maybe that's why such different opinions. That probably works for some amps/cabs/ears but not others. I'm still thinking they probably have their place but they're not quite there for me.

I can’t stand them myself. Tried them alone in 2x12’s and ported 1x12’s…….as well as mixed in 4x12’s. I’m not a G12H fan at all really, but I preferred the 30 watt Anny and the 75hz Heritage.

I find the Creambacks bright, thin, and abrasive. What’s odd is that the 65 watt Creambacks are polar opposite…..dark and bland. I would much rather use well broken in V30’s. I’m a Greenback guy FWIW.
I agree 110% with everything you said here. I don’t care for the 65 Creambacks either for the same reasons. The right vintage Greenbacks and ‘60’s blues are still my all time favorite speakers. Tonally in another league to all the other ones I’ve tried. No speakers seems to have it all sadly. The lower wattage ones seem to have better tone and feel, but don’t have the thump or power of the higher wattage ones

Last edited:
I think they have a bright character to the high end but yet somehow lacking sparkle/sizzle. And they have a lot of bottom end.

So maybe that's why such different opinions. That probably works for some amps/cabs/ears but not others. I'm still thinking they probably have their place but they're not quite there for me.
Yes this is exactly it! Very bright, but smooth, not aggressive or sizzly, but good bottom end chunk. I can see them having a place functionally (besides the trash bin lol), but I just think there are so many other high powered speakers that can do the job better

Last edited:
Do you find V30s (any V30) hollow?
Yes and no, partly depends which version V30 and what you’re comparing it to. Compared to most M magnet GB’s (especially Pre-rola versions) any V30 IME absolutely sounds comparatively hollow to me (you can also hear it Segeborn’s clips, even with the earliest, more desirable version V30, but more pronounced in person when AB’ed), but I found the H mag 30 and cream 75 celestions I’ve had sound hollow vs my V30’s and yes I know V30’s are H mag. So IME it’s kind of in between those 2 in hollowness. I like V30’s fwiw, even the Chinese ones, especially with my Boogie amps (not with Marshall’s), but with the other speakers I own they don’t have a place for me. I’m no expert in eq or frequencies by any stretch, but I get the sense that V30’s have a hollowness somewhere in the center mid area vs M mag GB’s, but in other areas in the mids are not hollow at all, but I could be wrong. The JBL’s and Crescnedo’s are in their own ways hollow too, but have their place for me. Fwiw, I consider my 2 all time favorite speakers (60’s blues and 20w pre-rola GB’s) to be the polar opposite of a hollow tone. I will use hollow sounding gear when I feel it has its place, but all else being equal I hear it as an undesirable tonal quality

Last edited:
I love the 65’s the most personally. I have an Engl cab with 65M’s in them that sounds absolutely insane . I like the 75s too but I find the 65’s thicker and beefier, and more “different” than other speakers I own. Check out havoks “V” record for anyone that is interested what this specific cab sounds like. Driftwood purple nightmare for the amp on that one.

I don't hate them as much as Sam, but I certainly don't care for the H75s. That's probably personal taste, gear, and playing style differences though - they sound great in Zen's videos. But I agree that they sound bright/high endy and rolled off at the same time. Like you bumped the 3k slider up too high, and the 5k slider too low.

And I absolutely love the old v30s, and the T75s in my old 1960b.

I think the 65s sound quite a bit better than the h75s....still kind of dark but more low end, more "meat."

It's definitely a try before you buy speaker.

Lots of people make them sound good, but it depends on the rest of your rig, i think.

Had a pair in a Suhr PT 212 and hated them. Overly bright with a harsh top end. I replaced them with V30 and am much happier.

I don't hate them as much as Sam, but I certainly don't care for the H75s. That's probably personal taste, gear, and playing style differences though - they sound great in Zen's videos. But I agree that they sound bright/high endy and rolled off at the same time. Like you bumped the 3k slider up too high, and the 5k slider too low.

And I absolutely love the old v30s, and the T75s in my old 1960b.

I think the 65s sound quite a bit better than the h75s....still kind of dark but more low end, more "meat."

It's definitely a try before you buy speaker.

Lots of people make them sound good, but it depends on the rest of your rig, i think.
I guess my dislike or hate for them is relative. I honestly these days have trouble enjoying any non-vintage speakers (just too sterile/flat for me) except the Alnico Gold's, but I wouldn't choose those for your style. Zen seems to have really good quality from what I can tell in his recordings (I'm a newb with recording though and suck at it myself, so I don't really know), but my point is H75's IMO can still sound great if it fits well in the puzzle with everything else, but I feel I can always have something better for the job/tonal puzzle piece. I can make them sound great too if I wanted (at least in person, maybe not with my recording skills lol), but I can just do so much better than that with other speakers I've got. I sometimes maybe make certain pieces of gear sound worse than they really are to just speed up the process/cut through the diplomatic bs lol, but it's just my opinion/ears at the end of the day

It's been a while since I last played H75's & M65's, but from what I recall I remember the H75's having more lows, but the 65's maybe more low mids, which I think gives that beef/thickness you're talking about

I guess my dislike or hate for them is relative. I honestly these days have trouble enjoying any non-vintage speakers (just too sterile/flat for me) except the Alnico Gold's, but I wouldn't choose those for your style. Zen seems to have really good quality from what I can tell in his recordings (I'm a newb with recording though and suck at it myself, so I don't really know), but my point is H75's IMO can still sound great if it fits well in the puzzle with everything else, but I feel I can always have something better for the job/tonal puzzle piece. I can make them sound great too if I wanted (at least in person, maybe not with my recording skills lol), but I can just do so much better than that with other speakers I've got. I sometimes maybe make certain pieces of gear sound worse than they really are to just speed up the process/cut through the diplomatic bs lol, but it's just my opinion/ears at the end of the day

It's been a while since I last played H75's & M65's, but from what I recall I remember the H75's having more lows, but the 65's maybe more low mids, which I think gives that beef/thickness you're talking about

The bit about puzzle pieces makes sense. Everyone has an "ideal" sound in their head they're trying to make happen with gear.

And every piece of the puzzle matters. I'm sure I could make h75s sound okay too, if I switched a bunch of things around, but it wouldn't be closer to my personal "ideal" if that makes sense.

Back