New Friedman amp. SS. v2

Very nice! Sounds great! I have another amp that I wanted to get. Was going to get the BE-100 DLX but I may see how long till these are available.

Pretty nice sounding but I almost feel like his " not too dirty" rythm channel is my lead channel. I still prefer his old tones with an actual plexi. They cut more than the friedman stuff. So far his JEL amp is the best one me thinks...opened up in the MV

The first one is sooooooo good. Sounds like there was a big emphasis on keeping the heart of the original alone and just adding a few tweaks.

This sounds slightly more modern with more gain and features of course. Definitely another great option for modded Marshall tones.

Pretty nice sounding but I almost feel like his " not too dirty" rythm channel is my lead channel. I still prefer his old tones with an actual plexi. They cut more than the friedman stuff. So far his JEL amp is the best one me thinks...opened up in the MV
Couldn’t agree more. His plexi tones were perfect.
The JEL is the Friedman I’d love to have. Great sounding amp.
This amp sounds good, but not something I’d buy.

The first one is sooooooo good. Sounds like there was a big emphasis on keeping the heart of the original alone and just adding a few tweaks.

This sounds slightly more modern with more gain and features of course. Definitely another great option for modded Marshall tones.

That’s my concern - loved the first one, as it had the most fat, greasy, saggy plexi vibe of the lineup - this seems at least slightly tighter and more modern…a little meaner vs sweeter

Here the video, without need to be redirected to TGP :p

Sound modern and a bit compressed, but i like it.

I hate typing off the cuff - and I welcome any members who can either back me up or correct me. But I am recalling a brief stint when Steve ‘discovered’ a Splawn QR in one of the studios where he was recording tracks for a Billy Idol album and it blossomed into a short lived ’love affair’ with the amp. Steve was known for playing with quite a bit less gain and compression than many of the shredders of the time and always had a huge, tight, articulate tone. The QR did that in spades out of the box. I do believe the QR tracks survived the final mix and I am sure I saw a wall of Splawns in Steve Steven’s backline for a brief stint. I believe the Splawn thang occurred right before Steve connected with Friedman. (Rumor has it Dave may have had a peek inside one of Steve’s QRs when developing his sig head to tighten it up a bit as compared with the saggier, more compressed BE / HBE vibe.)

I recall hearing that SS parted ways with Splawn over free amps / compensation which Scott has never done.

I think it sounds great in the Michael Nielsen vid but it easily can be set to be too gainy. I think with proper setting of the gain control and low end you could get his 80’s plexi tones with it. SS, like most older guitar heroes from the 80’s plays with too much saturation these days and loses that awesome tight snap he had. Also thought it was pretty funny when he talked about not all that overdriven and then plays with gain you could probably play Ride The Lightning with if you scooped the mids…lol

I wouldn't want it for 2K. Buzzy sounding in one demo, dull in the other. Steve's best tones were a Plexi and a few pedals, IMO
It's funny that people try so hard to emulate that tone when with impulses they can crank a plexi by any builder out there and get their classic tones back. A cranked plexi everything on 7 with a decent output pickup is my dream rythm tone. Couple of pedals and it does everything you want. Seems they just like to feel like they are moving forward and using something " better".

I think it sounds great in the Michael Nielsen vid but it easily can be set to be too gainy. I think with proper setting of the gain control and low end you could get his 80’s plexi tones with it. SS, like most older guitar heroes from the 80’s plays with too much saturation these days and loses that awesome tight snap he had. Also thought it was pretty funny when he talked about not all that overdriven and then plays with gain you could probably play Ride The Lightning with if you scooped the mids…lol
Exactly! The snap comes from less gain and leaning into it. The added gain actually makes these guys sloppier because they try to play faster.

I hate typing off the cuff - and I welcome any members who can either back me up or correct me. But I am recalling a brief stint when Steve ‘discovered’ a Splawn QR in one of the studios where he was recording tracks for a Billy Idol album and it blossomed into a short lived ’love affair’ with the amp. Steve was known for playing with quite a bit less gain and compression than many of the shredders of the time and always had a huge, tight, articulate tone. The QR did that in spades out of the box. I do believe the QR tracks survived the final mix and I am sure I saw a wall of Splawns in Steve Steven’s backline for a brief stint. I believe the Splawn thang occurred right before Steve connected with Friedman. (Rumor has it Dave may have had a peek inside one of Steve’s QRs when developing his sig head to tighten it up a bit as compared with the saggier, more compressed BE / HBE vibe.)

I recall hearing that SS parted ways with Splawn over free amps / compensation which Scott has never done.
Friedman knows how to build his brand. Get the amps out for free to the key players and the buyers will come. You are right about the splawns, I remember seeing pictures of his amps and pedalboard and he had the quickrods as his main amp. Maybe early to mid 2000's?

Give me a break. I’m pretty sure Dave knows how to tighten up an amp without peeking into a Splawn lol.

Back