Is the tube crisis still in play?

People will ask for stupid prices. Don't be stupid enough to pay those prices.

A new EH12AX7 is 28 bucks at Amplified Parts.
I bought 25 for 180.00 bux last year. So 28 is still highway robbery showing a crisis when a non microphonic EI or 6n4j was a good 30.00 for the last 15 or so years.

Was just looking at those psvane tubes on a website. They seem like they might be ok based on the price and description:

The Psvane ECC83 is a high quality, high gain, dual triode. This tube has a noval base and is praised for its warm and complex sound. The Psvane ECC83 works well in any ECC83 / 12AX7 position. The Psvane Classic Series is focused on the reproduction of popular vacuum tubes found in classic audio equipment. When designing the Classic Series, Psvane collected the most sought-after NOS tubes and analyzed each element of their construction, incorporating the most effective manufacturing techniques to produce stable tubes with excellent sound. Whether used in guitar amplifiers or hifi stereo systems, the Psvane Classic Series vacuum tubes excel in all applications. Psvane has been producing high quality vacuum tubes since 2011. The Psvane team originally formed in Shuguang’s high-end tube division but eventually split off to form their own brand.
The power tubes are great, the 12ax7 are just MEH. However good pricing considering a 12ax7b was 3.00 5 yrs ago and now people want 30.00 lol.

Google the tube you want, see if their in stock.
Most places are still in stock and prices haven't inflated too badly.

Me too. Cheaper than most are selling here used. I guess people want to think there's a major crisis to justify their silly private seller prices.
They were a little more expensive than usual .... but not by much .... and I've never had a problem with JJ's

Yeah I saw him say that the PSVANE power tubes are good but that the preamp tubes kinda suck
Glad you posted this cuz I thought I was gonna have to disagree with Dave. I haven't tried the power tubes but the two preamp tubes I bought sucked.

That's good to know about their power tubes.

FWIW, I recently got an email that The Tube Store had all the redbase TADs on sale.

Oh yeah, they went up, for sure. But private sellers are asking more for them than Eurotubes.
Happens a lot with gear. I try not to comment on the threads/price bash but I definitely see some items listed here that you could buy new for less than they're asking used and it isnt just tubes.

I guess that people just arent aware. There used to be a shortage of certain things and people were paying more and getting used to paying more but in some cases the shortages/stock issues no longer apply.

I always do my research and check every possible buying option before buying/selling.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, it's been more of a temporary thing in terms of supply, and now prices have stabilized at higher levels, where supply actually can meet demand.

I was going to start a thread on this today too, specifically asking what's going on with the Western Electric production? Are they tooling up? I'm pretty well stocked, but I'd really like to try something they make if it's going to be on par with the NOS stuff and I'll pay what it costs, knowing I can always get more.

If Western Electric decides to expand their offerings it will be a long time before they bring tubes to market. Its just not the kind of industry where you can flip a switch and have product on shelves in a week. Probably at least a year or two before they bring the first new design out.

Liking the TAD Psvane EL34's in the 2553 silver jubilee. They biased up well, nice and stable, noise is low. Seem to have a little more top end than the EH EL34's that I replaced. Pretty well matched.

Back