Practice

alund

Had my weekly band camp last night and normally have us play in my temp controlled 3 car garage (no cars obviously) but last night I kept the middle bay open. Great night weather wise but immediately I knew the acoustics were way different. Seems like such a small nuance but opening up to the world and I lost my sound or maybe just sounded different. This is prolly why different venues just sound different. Why can’t I hear what I normally hear-duh… not really sure how to compensate for when the world opens up or closes down on the fly. Add more low end? And more mid? Upper? Idk. Just babbling out loud to those that have been there.

I'm guessing you lost a bit of reverberation / reflections (slap-back echo and whatnot).

Low end would've escaped too, but that would mostly have been mud and boom.

Compensations?
Add a touch of 'verb / delay to the geetars and a smidge of welly to the bass geetar and kick drum... or take the pillow out of the kick if there is one.

Always gonna change from room to room. I've never kept the same EQ from home/practice to any gig. 90% time it's usually the mids that get pushed way up; more lows too.

There are lots of bedroom shredders out there these days. And that is absolutely NOT a criticism - it is simply an observation. Way back in the day, when I made the transition from the bedroom to the stage, I was paralyzed by the ‘exposure’ of Stage Volume. And I was overly self-aware and played like crap. The best medicine for me was hanging out at the rehearsal space after band practice when I was good and warmed up to just wind up my rig as far as I could stand it, stuff in my ear plugs, and PLAY til it didn’t matter where the lows, mids and highs were, or where the gain was. I kind of felt it through my hands and had a sense of what was going on based on what was seeping through the ear plugs. I tried to get to the point where I played based on that ‘feeling’ rather than what low/mid/high balance was coming off the cones of my 4x12. Yes: way, way, way easier said than done. But playing live is such a strange animal as opposed to ripping at room levels or listening to yourself through headphones or in the control room of a recording studio.

1661553248300.jpeg

^^^Yes practice!!! This really was a comment about a single change and how much I noticed it last night at band camp.
In the places that I play out; my general move for sound improvement is; Up the wet side of my rig and it seems to work well. Anytime more reverb/echo fills space… the less people perceive my imperfections 😳. I think. Musicians are their own worst critics ! I am no stranger to that. After seeing LA Guns at a small venue, I’m beginning to believe decibels help and confuse the listener to think everything is great! From above … turn up that shit !

Reactions: PDC
Back